Chest insanely sore...

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
I took a little break over the summer and last thursday was the first time to work out my chest in about a month. It hurts so bad now that I can hardly move my arms. I have over 6 years of lifting experience and have never had any type of soreness like this. It's a very sharp pain in my pecs and feels almost like I may have torn a muscle... I guess my question is has anyone had this feeling before while on recomp and/or does anyone think I should see a doc?

mcssassin

Awards
for me im not a doc but if i take time off and start to lift again esp my chest its sore for like a week or week and a half. if its about the same soreness on both sides i would say your ok but if one side hurts alot more than the other side you may have tore something? but again im not a doc! im guessing its your weak side that hurts worse? and the chances you tore somthing go up deeinding on if you streached and if you went right to your max weight or if you lifted about 60% because you took time off

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
I thought I was taking it pretty easy. About 50-60% of max and about 15-20 reps to get my stamina and endurance back up. I just got home from the gym and a little exercise seemed to make it feel a bit better. I think I'm just being a ***** and need to get back in lifting condition. Next chest day I'm going to go pretty light and make sure I don't ruin my next week of routine by going too hard.

Moral of the story: Don't take a month off!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're not injured but simply sore with DOMS, do 2-3 sets of push-ups and stretch well. It'll alleviate the soreness quite a bit.

Yes, I did just tell you to work a sore muscle more to decrease soreness. Light stimulation increases blood flow and will aid in recovery. This does not mean you should do a whole additional chest workout though. Just enough to warm the muscle, get the blood flowing and get the stiffness out, followed by lots of stretching and water.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
its definitely the time off factor. 6 years, 10 years of previous experience will effect how fast you regain lost strength, but it won't effect muscles getting shocked from a workout after a prolonged break.

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
If you're not injured but simply sore with DOMS, do 2-3 sets of push-ups and stretch well. It'll alleviate the soreness quite a bit.

Yes, I did just tell you to work a sore muscle more to decrease soreness. Light stimulation increases blood flow and will aid in recovery. This does not mean you should do a whole additional chest workout though. Just enough to warm the muscle, get the blood flowing and get the stiffness out, followed by lots of stretching and water.
Yea that's usually how I help relieve regular soreness, but I have rarely felt something like this before. I'm pretty sure I just went too hard too soon and forgot that I'm not 17 anymore haha.

its definitely the time off factor. 6 years, 10 years of previous experience will effect how fast you regain lost strength, but it won't effect muscles getting shocked from a workout after a prolonged break.
Definitely. I have quite a bit of experience so hopefully everything will fall back in place very soon. Today is chest day again, I'll be going relatively light, but I hope it's going to be better...