fat loss and interval training

Shavani

Awards
I am overweight and would like to start with an interval training program. I'd like to go jogging but as i am not in shape, I would love to know what the best schedule is to start with

NOwa

NOwa

Awards
read the sticky at the top of nutrition and the top of training. also look at swimming shi T will work you out...

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am overweight and would like to start with an interval training program. I'd like to go jogging but as i am not in shape, I would love to know what the best schedule is to start with
review the article The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it covers this in there.

An extract re HIIT from it:
When I first attempted to lose fat (and I still do this NOW) I used ‘Guerrilla Cardio’ (GC) (Kennedy, 2001): This is tabata intervals done sprinting (instead of on a bike). You jog lightly for 4 minutes as a ‘warm-up’; then you do 8 x 20 seconds hard-out-as-fast-as-you-can sprints/efforts, and jog easy for 10 seconds after each one; finishing with a 4 minutes easy jog ‘cool-down’. I do GC (or variations of it; now I increase how many efforts I do, and sometimes do up to 3 days a week, with a rest day between each one, as it is very hard and takes a lot out of you. If you do this, and you are doing weights and eating to lose fat, then you will most definitely see results.
Like I did (and I was fit and in shape), just start out with 12 minutes (and seriously, this is enough):
a. 4 min easy (i.e. warm-up)
b. 8 x 20 sec effort as hard as you can go followed by 10 sec easy or break
c. 4 min easy (i.e. cool-down)
You can do this on ANY piece of cardio equipment - I recommend anything BUT the treadmill (if you want to do it running, do it running outside on a track or something).

~Team APPNUT

anoopbal

Awards
It is best not to run if you are overweight and a beginner.If you really wan to run, start with a walking program which peaks into a run after 30 days or so.

It is better to do a steady state cardio , like 20 min or 2 sessions of 10 min before you jump into interval training.Use a bike for cardio so that it is easy on your joints.

Once you can do 20 min of regular cardio, you can start interval training. And hope you are watching your diet.

tommymartin

Awards
I was in the situation. Start lifting some weights 3x a week and every other day. Start with a full body regime first. On your off days hit the treadmill for 20-30 minutes. Lifting weights burns more calories than aerobic exercises. The more lean mass you get, the more calories you burn. Also nothing is going to work if you have a bad nutrition. 80% of your success or failure will result in what you eat, when, and how often. Also, throw out the scale. Msg me if you'd like. GL

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is best not to run if you are overweight and a beginner.If you really wan to run, start with a walking program which peaks into a run after 30 days or so.

It is better to do a steady state cardio , like 20 min or 2 sessions of 10 min before you jump into interval training.Use a bike for cardio so that it is easy on your joints.

Once you can do 20 min of regular cardio, you can start interval training. And hope you are watching your diet.
^^^^^^

Constant progression is key. Throwing yourself into the fire is only going to cause burn out or injury, despite what all those [insert demeaning explitives] trainers on "I used to be fat" and "biggest loser" do.