Daily Pull-ups?

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
I was searching for some tips or routines that focused on increasing the number of pull ups I can do and came across a couple variations of the Armstrong Pullup Program which require you to do them 5 days a week. This seems like it would lead to over training and hurt my numbers. Am I missing something here? Has anyone tried a routine like this and gotten results? There are a lot of training programs centered around increasing bench press, anyone here got any ideas for one centered around increasing the number of pull ups? Or any other tips for how I can get those numbers up?

Thanks!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was searching for some tips or routines that focused on increasing the number of pull ups I can do and came across a couple variations of the Armstrong Pullup Program which require you to do them 5 days a week. This seems like it would lead to over training and hurt my numbers. Am I missing something here? Has anyone tried a routine like this and gotten results? There are a lot of training programs centered around increasing bench press, anyone here got any ideas for one centered around increasing the number of pull ups? Or any other tips for how I can get those numbers up?

Thanks!
Doing pull-ups five days a week is not necessarily going to cause overtraining or hurt your numbers, particularly if you're only going to do 1-2 sets daily. However, the Armstrong Pull-Up Program is not something I would particularly recommend - unless you were training for something that specifically required you to have high pull-up numbers (as he was, since it was developed specifically for that purpose).

The only thing that is going to get your pull-up numbers up is DOING them. I used to do pull-ups twice a week (at least 1-2 days between doing them), and always as the first exercise of that session. I also had longer recovery periods between sets of pull-ups than I did with anything else (3 minutes, as opposed to 30-60 seconds), which helped a lot - shorter recovery periods affect reps in each consecutive set. I pretty much went to failure on every set I did, no cheating, elbows fully extended at the bottom of the eccentric portion of the exercise. I started out doing 6 sets, then 8 sets; and then moved to picking a number of reps to get completed (usually 100-120 reps) and just doing as many sets as it took to get those reps in. You're always going to start out being able to do a lot of reps the first few sets, and then your numbers will decrease after that (i.e. I usually manage 15-25 reps the first few sets, and then they decrease down to like 15, 12, 10. 8, etc.).

A note that improving your body composition should also help in increasing your pull-up numbers - I always notice that the leaner and lighter I get, the easier they are to do, and the more reps I can complete per set.

~Team APPNUT

SamuraiSid

Awards
Two different methods I am aware of, but never put into practice myself:

Much like Rosie said, pic a number and do that many pull-ups with however many sets you need to complete it. If you find your only able to do <5 per set, increase rest time.

Another option is to start off with Chins (hands shoulder width apart, palms facing you). Do 3 sets of 15. When you can complete these, follow the 3x15 but with Pull-ups (Palms facing away from you) and then go to Wide-grip pull-ups.

This supposedly works because chins incorporate biceps more, and make the lift "easier".

PostScript: I assume if you want to increase the number of pull-ups, its because your able to do a relatively small number of reps per set.

Hope this helps.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
a lot of people "grease the groove" on pull ups by doing a low number of pull ups (whatever you can do VERY easily--say one or two) a bunch or times throughout the day. Everytime you go past your pull up bar (within reason) jump up and do a few very easy ones. You should not be sore from these daily sessions and you should never do enough pullvups to come close to failure. Then work pullups hard once a week. Haven't read up on this in a long time, but this is supposed to help. you can google "grease the groove pullvups" and you should get some info.

starquest88

starquest88

Awards
I use to do pull-ups every day. I would do 3 sets of 15 before every work out. when i was doin them daily i never felt that i was over working my lats, it just felt good to do some sets before i started my work out.

now i only do them twice a week. one day heavy. one day light.

on heavy days i do
1 set of 20 at body weight
1 set of 6 with a 45lb plate
1 set of 7 with a 45lb plate
1 set of 8 with a 45lb plate
1 set of 16 at b/w

then go on to my other back work outs.

on light days i just do 3 sets of 18-20 at b/w.

with what i do now, i was able to increase my reps by 4-5 within the past month or so.

but i would say give it a try. Do them daily for maybe 2 weeks and see how you feel. If you like it, then keep going.

Daniel

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i do them 3x a week 100 each time i do them.

some days i alternat between close nutral, close pronated, close pullups and wide nuetral (the pull up bar you put on the door)

doing it like that 3x a week will increas your reps tremendously.

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
Do many of you grease the groove for pull-ups?

Has it been successful in upping your strength or endurance?

I was thinking of dropping vertical pulling movements from my normal training and then "greasing the groove" with a variety of different gripped pull ups.

BreakingPR

BreakingPR

Awards
Best way I increase my pull up strength is get a pull up bar in ur house and pull out some sets during the day. Do it every other day. It woked for me, make sure you do strict and slow form.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I grease the groove quite a bit. The number of times and amount each time always vary and decided as I'm doing them. I've even hung a bar in the bathroom door before so every time I had to piss while drinking I knocked a few out. I also start every workout session with pull ups in my warm ups. About 2-3 sets of 5-10. At my peak I could knock out about 40 deadhangs. Though lately I'm around low 20's. I also feel weighted pull ups are key to reaching higher numbers. Rosie had a good point lean out and your are not pulling up as much weight. Last summer I did a 100 day pull up challenge that was tremendous for me reaching higher numbers, BUT there was a snafu. At day 73 I just couldn't do any more and had injured my left shoulder. In retrospect and the next time I do it coming up I'm going to do two 50 days totaling 100. I'll lay the idea out below...

Day 1 you do 1 pull ups
Day 2 you do 2 pull ups
And so on till 100 pull ups on day 100
(Next time at day 51 I will start back at 1 and go up to 50 pull ups again to total 100 days. This should allow better recovery, prevent overuse injuries and CNS burnout)
You can do them all at once, sets of 5, 1 every 10 minutes, what ever as long as you get the number done that day
You can do strict dead hangs, kipping, butterfly, jumping pull ups, band assist, have a buddy push you, over hand, under hand, false grip, whatever, as long as you get your chin above the bar
If you miss a day you need to make up all that you missed plus what you owe for that day
And anyone could "buy in" at any time by doing all the pull ups that you missed on that day (so buy in early)
Then take a few days off and go hard for your max!

ps grip strength and filing off calluses is important as well. For a lot of people grip goes or calluses cause a person to stop/drop before they actually need to.

variance is important

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
My shoulder is all goofy, so i would do pull ups more often, but i dont necessarily know about every day. Rest and recovery are pretty important to me