Coming back from spinal fusion

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
So I had a fusion at L4L5 and L5S1. I am able to start working out again and getting back into shape. Since my surgery I have lost just over 20 lbs. I realize I have to take it slow and there are things I cannot do at all still (any kind of lower back strengthening flexibility).

What I'm looking for is some assistance in what would be some good exercises to use in my workout that won't hurt me or hinder my recovery. Things I have found to work well are the bench machine, unweighted pull-ups, and seated calf raises. There are a few other things I've thought of as well but I figured I'd see if anyone had any input. I'm going to try light weight leg extensions and the elliptical machine (with no arm movement) tonight.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
thats extensive surgery and I'm sure most of us would hesitate to recommend anything given your altered mechanics. what does your orthopedist and physical therapist say?

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
I know it's kind of a scary subject and most people wouldn't want to touch it with a 10' pole. Don't worry though, I'm not going to go out and do every exercise thrown at me. I just thought there might be some things I hadn't thhought of myself. I'm not foolish enough to go reinjure myself doing something dumb.

My surgeon has removed my weight limit restriction and his specifications were no lower back flexibility or strengthening exercises. I obviously realize there's more to it than no deadlifts, squats, or leg press. I'm not doing anything that puts heavy stress on my spine (military press, reverse flyes, seated rows, leg curls)

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
have you tried any lifting at all to see what you may or may not be able to do?

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
I have done some lifting. I've been out of the gym for a little over two months and I'm so incredibly sore. I've never been this bad. I now feel bad for all the people I have trained LOL. Here's what I've figured out so far:

Chest: I can do flat and incline plate loaded bench machines just fine as well as dips and a dip machine. The flye machine isn't too bad either.

Lats: Pull-ups, pull-downs, and light seated row (as long as there is a chest cushion to brace against)

Arms: Curls and Tricep push-downs

Legs: Haven't done much here yet. Seated calf raises. I decided it would be a better idea to try out a heavy duty 3.5 mile hike first to see how it went. A little stiff but will know for sure tomorrow once the soreness sets in. I am still going to try out light leg extensions too.

Even if nobody really provides any info at least there will be something here for someone later if they end up in my same situation.

*EDIT* Leg extensions and seated calf raises with the pad that goes over the knee work excellently but I don't think I'll be pushing my luck with any kind of hamstring stuff since it's so closely tied together.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
Well at least you can still decent upper body workouts. So now that you sort of have an idea of what you can do I'd say get into a little routine. (I'm assuming the doc said it's ok to do those exercises.) Legs will be hard because you can't really do any of the main lifts...are you looking to build muscle or simply stay active?

I know swimming is a great full body exercise that won't cause the impacts on your spine like walking or running would do. The only concern I would have is your flexibility because I'm not sure how mobile your core is as far as the mechanics needed to swim.

Good luck with the recovery though man. I know I didn't help much but keep at it!

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
Yeah I can't do swimming unfortunately. It's not just the impact but twisting as well. I'll be trying to put some mass back on. As much as you can on machines anyway. I've lost just over 20 pounds in the last 8-10 weeks. I'm hoping I can get at least ten of it back. I don't think that's too ridiculous.

tjwoody

Awards
can i ask...how long did it take u to recover enough to get around ok and they say u will eventually be back to 100%? if so..how long?

So I had a fusion at L4L5 and L5S1. I am able to start working out again and getting back into shape. Since my surgery I have lost just over 20 lbs. I realize I have to take it slow and there are things I cannot do at all still (any kind of lower back strengthening flexibility).

What I'm looking for is some assistance in what would be some good exercises to use in my workout that won't hurt me or hinder my recovery. Things I have found to work well are the bench machine, unweighted pull-ups, and seated calf raises. There are a few other things I've thought of as well but I figured I'd see if anyone had any input. I'm going to try light weight leg extensions and the elliptical machine (with no arm movement) tonight.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Im going to eventually have to have that due to scoliosis. Im hoping the best for you, so ill have one less worry about it.