anybody like doing tricep work with cables?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I did tricep work with cables today and I was much more comfortable doing them with cables that with the dumb bells or barbells. I also did chest flys with cables. I don't mind doing chest flys with dumbbells, but I hate doing tricep extensions with dumbbells.

cowboy007

cowboy007

Awards
  • Established
I love doing triceps work with cables. Pushdowns, underhand pulldowns, one arm pushes, rope extensions or rope pressdowns, over the shoulder one arm pressdowns... cables are my favorite way to work tris.

Last week I did incline cable skull crushers... I loved the move.. gonna rock it again tomorrow

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I switch it up- just whatever comes to mind- I do a mixture of triceps with both dumbells and cables everytime I work out and my new favorite is the closehand bench press-which really isolates the triceps

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Do you think I need to incorporate dumbbell work with triceps, or can I just use cables and be fine?

deadaim

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would say incorporate BARBELL excercises for triceps, like cgpb and skull crushers, or arm extensions.

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would say incorporate BARBELL excercises for triceps, like cgpb and skull crushers, or arm extensions.
THIS!

I do skullcrushers, closehand bench for my barbell excercises

Then I will go over to cables and do some pulldowns and finally if my tris dont feel like they r going to explode I will do some other excercise- whatever sounds good but barbells are the bread and butter for me

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I say stick with DBs bro..
Although I have never really tried using DB's gamer- I think Im going to through that in there tommorrow Lord Chest is my favorite day Im getting excited just thinking about going to the gym- man Im sick

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
i just hate db extensions. I'm always afraid I'm going to hit my head and I have before.

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
like any other muscle group there is a time and place for every type of exercise. best to work with barbells and dumbells with some cable work incorporated in IMO

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
like any other muscle group there is a time and place for every type of exercise. best to work with barbells and dumbells with some cable work incorporated in IMO
I was thinking this. tricep extensions with the barbell or dumb bells and cable extensions(like dumbbell extensions but with a cable). Does that sound good?

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
i love cables... the rope, the v bar, the flat bar, and underhand flat bar

also love skull crushers on the flat bench or decline, but they do not love my elbows

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
i have a habit of breaking cables these days...... lol

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I only use cables for triceps, used to do skulls but dont anymore on advice from my physio cause of the shoulder position.
Rope pulldown = more long head
underhand grip = more medial head
overhand grip = more lateral head
Keep my elbows to my side on all of them, none of that fancy overhead stuff for me.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Close grip
Skull crushers
Rope (cable machine)

My standard tri workout...note, cable machine is in there. So to answer the thread question, yes.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
i just hate db extensions. I'm always afraid I'm going to hit my head and I have before.
You're not the only one. I don't really enjoy them either, but I do a mix... dumbells, skullcrushers with the ez-curl bar (never done them with a straight barbell, will try sometime to mix the routine up), close-grip bench, even the sit-down tricep machine but definitely love cables the most. Oh, and don't forget about dips!

I only use cables for triceps, used to do skulls but dont anymore on advice from my physio cause of the shoulder position.
Rope pulldown = more long head
underhand grip = more medial head
overhand grip = more lateral head
Keep my elbows to my side on all of them, none of that fancy overhead stuff for me.
Ah, underhand grip... thanks for this reminder as I never do that. Love the rope pulldown. I'm trying to do single-hand cable stuff more now too... feels awkward compared to the 2-hand exercises but I'm sure that's just inexperience with the movement.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
How many exercises do you guys do for triceps? I've been doing 2, but I was going to add in a third tricep exercise. So my chest and tricep days will look like this.
Bench (2 sets)
Inclined DB press (2 sets)
Inclined DB flyes (1 set)
Db Lying Triceps Extension (2 set)
cable extension (1 sets)
tricep pulldown (2 set)