what is this piece of equipment called?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I went to the gym yesterday and everything was heavier that the equipment at home. Anyway I put 115lbs on this piece of equipment. I was dead lifting at home 170lb on the barbell at home, 45lb bar plus 125lb of weight added. Anyway this thing felt atleast 10lbs heavier than the bar bell I have at home. I don't know what it's called, it's some type of free weight bar. You stand inside of it and preform a deadlift with a neutral grip and the back and front of it curve out to a point, to give you room to stand in it.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Trap bar

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
this what youre talking about? its used to take stress of the back when you're deadlifting

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
this what youre talking about? its used to take stress of the back when you're deadlifting

Yeah thanks. How good is using that compared to the barbell? It felt heavier, but more comfortable to use.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Ya, looks like what he was describing. I have seen people use them a lot(for shrugs as well) but haven't tried it. Anyone know how much heavier it is than a BB?

Reps for fast answer SC :)

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
IMO it makes it more of a squat exercise. More of a push up then pulling it up, because of the grip... That doesn't mean its bad, I use this for shrugs but thats about it.

And I wasn't aware that it was heavier, maybe it is. Also it could be the fact that its not as long so more weight concentrated in a smaller space feels heavier

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
IMO it makes it more of a squat exercise. More of a push up then pulling it up, because of the grip... That doesn't mean its bad, I use this for shrugs but thats about it.

And I wasn't aware that it was heavier, maybe it is. Also it could be the fact that its not as long so more weight concentrated in a smaller space feels heavier
Well I liked using it. I just want to know if I'd be handicapping myself by using it

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Well I liked using it. I just want to know if I'd be handicapping myself by using it
No you're not. I think it's good for squat assistance, and if it feels good on your back incorporate it into your routine, but dont rule out regular deadlift. I will say that you should be able to lift a little bit more since form doesnt have to be strict but make sure youre careful when you go back to regular deadlift.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
No you're not. I think it's good for squat assistance, and if it feels good on your back incorporate it into your routine, but dont rule out regular deadlift. I will say that you should be able to lift a little bit more since form doesnt have to be strict but make sure youre careful when you go back to regular deadlift.
Okay, maybe I'll learn to alternate regular deadlifts and trap bar deadlifts. I'm just one of those people that once they get a routine down, it's hard to change and easy to get confused on what to do. It was much easier to keep a good grip on the trap bar.

dropshot001

Awards
the sumo trap bar will help you engage your hips faster on pulling movements

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established

lemme find out thats you at freshman football camp, SC lol

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
no but thats about my build. i look like a fukkin line men. when i get below 15% body fat or even lose this gut ill be amazed. ive been down to a size 30 waist but im far from that now. talk about a 38. but this is where i hold most of my fat. a gut and my chest. i will cut until i am happy with my bf

that dude looks like a fukkin dork tho i keep it gangsta

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
that dude looks like a fukkin dork tho i keep it gangsta
yea i had a feeling it wasnt you in the pic, considering what you put as your location lol... just wouldnt make sense