Teach me the proper way to row... - AnabolicMinds.com

Teach me the proper way to row...

  1. New Member
    alih92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    92

    Reputation

    Teach me the proper way to row...


    I've tried everything...
    Barbell Rows (Think Yates) pulling the bar to my mid abs
    Barbell Rows (with my entire torso parallel to the ground) pulling the bar to my lower chest

    Dumbell Rows (on a bench with the one hand and knee on bench)
    Dumbell Rows (I grab an edge and step back with my torso parallel to the flow and row)

    I've also tried placing a barbell in the corner of a wall, grasping the collar end with my hands and rowing it (T-Bar row, but no t-bar machine).

    I NEVER FEEL IT in my back though, I only feel it around my biceps, and when doing the rows I only end up getting mildly fatigued never you know a "pump" or a burn.

    Also when doing dumbell rows, I don't understand how close to keep my elbows to my body and sometimes its almost like I end up rotating (my torso) and my arms CURVE UP ON TO my torso.

    Also I've read that I should pull through my elbows, wtf does this exactly mean?

  2. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by alih92 View Post
    I've tried everything...
    Barbell Rows (Think Yates) pulling the bar to my mid abs
    Barbell Rows (with my entire torso parallel to the ground) pulling the bar to my lower chest

    Dumbell Rows (on a bench with the one hand and knee on bench)
    Dumbell Rows (I grab an edge and step back with my torso parallel to the flow and row)

    I've also tried placing a barbell in the corner of a wall, grasping the collar end with my hands and rowing it (T-Bar row, but no t-bar machine).

    I NEVER FEEL IT in my back though, I only feel it around my biceps, and when doing the rows I only end up getting mildly fatigued never you know a "pump" or a burn.



    Also when doing dumbell rows, I don't understand how close to keep my elbows to my body and sometimes its almost like I end up rotating (my torso) and my arms CURVE UP ON TO my torso.

    Also I've read that I should pull through my elbows, wtf does this exactly mean?
    First of all, how developed is your back and specifically your lats. If they are underdeveloped you may have a hard time focusing the lift on your lats. My suggestion would be LOW weight barbell rows and get your for perfect.. You will feel in your lats if you do it right..
  3. New Member
    alih92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    92

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    First of all, how developed is your back and specifically your lats. If they are underdeveloped you may have a hard time focusing the lift on your lats. My suggestion would be LOW weight barbell rows and get your for perfect.. You will feel in your lats if you do it right..
    I'm not developed, yet. I have about 25% bodyfat and I'm on a keto diet I'm trying to get some fat off.

    My back is pretty weak, I was doing barbell rows (the yates row) with 25lbs on each side and sometimes I end up not being able to complete the lift but then again I'm doing 8-12 reps for 3 sets.

    Also do I look forward and straight ahead or down at the ground?
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Im going to assume that is your problem. Can you do body weight wide grip pull ups? If you cant, I suggest you start seated lat pulldowns and do a weight that you can hit for 8-12 reps with good form for 3-4 sets.
  5. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    ONce you have worked your way up in weigth with the lat pulldown, try to do, or increase the amount of wide grip BW pull ups you can do. Once you can do 15 or more good BW pull ups, start doing weighted pull ups. Once your back has a solid base, you'll start to feel it more in your lats, rather than your biceps when you row.. Maybe also try a seated rowing machine at a weight you can only get for 8-12 reps for 3-4 sets.
  6. New Member
    alih92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    92

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    ONce you have worked your way up in weigth with the lat pulldown, try to do, or increase the amount of wide grip BW pull ups you can do. Once you can do 15 or more good BW pull ups, start doing weighted pull ups. Once your back has a solid base, you'll start to feel it more in your lats, rather than your biceps when you row.. Maybe also try a seated rowing machine at a weight you can only get for 8-12 reps for 3-4 sets.
    I have a assisted pullup/dip/chinup machine at my gym.

    Currently I do a push/pull split.

    On pulling days, I'll doo 3x10 pullups/chinups/neutral grip chinups (1 set of each) with around 50lbs of assistance. However, I CAN DO about 4-5 BW chinups, can't do any pullups .

    In fact, doing chinups causes me to feel a stretch in around my upper/mid back.

    Also with lat pulldowns, do you recommend palms facing away or towards you and how low do you pull the bar down and how wide should I grab it?
  7. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by alih92 View Post
    I have a assisted pullup/dip/chinup machine at my gym.

    Currently I do a push/pull split.

    On pulling days, I'll doo 3x10 pullups/chinups/neutral grip chinups (1 set of each) with around 50lbs of assistance. However, I CAN DO about 4-5 BW chinups, can't do any pullups .
    Work your way into pull ups, even if you have to start with assistance. Everyone has to start somewhere bro.. 2 years ago I couldnt do but 2 pull ups.. Now I can do about 20-25..
  8. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4373

    Reputation

    I never felt rows in my back, but it grew.

    At the contracted position your elbow should be bent 90degrees, upper arm as back as you can get it and forearms making an ^ shape so your shoulders are slightly internally rotated not sure if that matters though but its due to the handles on the seated row being narrow, and it helps me keep my elbows tucked in to my sides.

    Full ROM is important start at the fully stretched position, if its DB rows then that means drop your shoulder so your leaning towards the DB side.

    Finishing the position your back should be straight, shoulders inline with each other on DB row.
    On seated row your back should be straight not leaning back.

    Do not hold the fully stretched position the rep tempo should be #0##. So as to not encourage forward shoulder posture.

    Pull through your elbows means to lift with your elbows not your hand/biceps.


    Here are great examples on form:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...SeatedRow.html


    BB row is not a specific lat exercise, if your doing Pulldowns, you wont feel rows in your lats.

    Pull downs = back width
    Rows = back thickness (mid and lower traps, rhomboids)

    Many people think Rows and Pulldowns are substitute exercises, they should both be done on the same day not alternating, for full back development.
  9. Advanced Member
    Dizmal's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    548
    Rep Power
    367

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post

    Pull through your elbows means to lift with your elbows not your hand/biceps.
    Pretty much what I was going to add. Mentally focus on your elbows when pulling the weight up to your midsection. Don't use your arms/forearms to do the movement. Arms should be "limp" past your elbow. Let your lats and back pull your humerous and elbow(and weight) up and to your side.

    Start low weight as stated. Bring the weight up and hold it for a second or two and pinch your back. Feel your muscles. You could also very grip widths. The narrower I hold the bar the more I feel it in the middle of my back(rhomboids). Shoulder width grip seems to focus on my lats.


    I like to warm up using shoulder width over hand grip. Then I do working sets with an under hand close grip, hands maybe 6" apart. Then after the working sets I drop weight a bit and do another set or two shoulder width over hand when my back is fatigued. I dunno. It seems to work well for me.
  10. Senior Member
    lonewolf0420's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,314
    Rep Power
    1678

    Reputation

    Are you performing your row's underhanded, or overhand?

    Good video. Yates explains some back work http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/...ktraining.html
  11. Advanced Member
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    73447

    Reputation Reputation

    Start with a low weight and work your way up. Eventually you'll want to try heavy weight but never at the expense of your form. The thing is, if you're form is off then you're setting yourself up for injury as well as not giving your back a good workout. When you see people heaving the bar around it becomes less of a back exercise and more of a total body one. I usually go as strict as possible and on the last set use a pretty heavy weight and allow for some cheating (not a lot though). If you find yourself swaying a little, it's okay; you can't do rows without some movement, but keep it to a minimum.

    Go for a full range of motion.
  12. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4373

    Reputation

    Do you by any chance have a strong torso in comparison to your arms, for example your triceps fail on bench press, so probably your biceps fail on rows.

    If I was to pick 2 exercises for back it would be:
    Underhand shoulder width grip chinups, or to better compound it for forearms, parallel shoulder width grip.

    And either close parallel grip seated rows or lying/bent over DB(not BB) rows, either of these with an emphasis on 2 aspects, elbows travelling as close to the torso as possible, and either the cable being mid, not high or low, or your body being parallel with the ground if using DBs, not angled.
    This 2nd exercise will not target the lats if done correctly, and for me they do not target the rear delts much at all.
    It will target the rhomboids and lower traps giving good back thickness, at the contracted part of the movement your shoulders should be down and scapular retracted, although when you hit failure in this exercise you may feel it in your forearms or biceps.
    Although its not as important as you would think, if you want to try counter the feel of your biceps failing in these exercises do hammer curls.
  13. New Member
    alih92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    92

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    Do you by any chance have a strong torso in comparison to your arms, for example your triceps fail on bench press, so probably your biceps fail on rows.

    If I was to pick 2 exercises for back it would be:
    Underhand shoulder width grip chinups, or to better compound it for forearms, parallel shoulder width grip.

    And either close parallel grip seated rows or lying/bent over DB(not BB) rows, either of these with an emphasis on 2 aspects, elbows travelling as close to the torso as possible, and either the cable being mid, not high or low, or your body being parallel with the ground if using DBs, not angled.
    This 2nd exercise will not target the lats if done correctly, and for me they do not target the rear delts much at all.
    It will target the rhomboids and lower traps giving good back thickness, at the contracted part of the movement your shoulders should be down and scapular retracted, although when you hit failure in this exercise you may feel it in your forearms or biceps.
    Although its not as important as you would think, if you want to try counter the feel of your biceps failing in these exercises do hammer curls.
    Thank you, I tried the DB rows, but it seems as if I'm curling the weight OVER to my center of body. I try to focus on driving my elbows as high as possible and trying to bring my hands to my abs...I feel that this helps a bit.

    With the close grip parallel seated rows should I stay arched in one position and only row and pull back or should I lean forward too while bring the handle back towards the weights???

    Also if I do barbell rows, I end up dragging the bar up my quads/legs and not pulling it straight up
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Teach me to not be fat anymore!
    By fatdude in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM
  2. SERM vs AI's...Teach me please!
    By Cantell in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 04:40 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 08:41 PM
  4. Vat Attack! Stacks--Teach us how you would use and WIN!
    By Guest in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 09:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in