Overuse from too little volume?

1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.49%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Overuse from too little volume?

Title might sound stupid but let me explain, I train with high frequency although less volume than my training partner, I get more overuse symptoms, my training partner doesnt as much, same exercises.
    When a lower volume is used a higher % of 1RM is allowed in each rep range, therefore an increased amount of intensity, and more peak strain on stabilizer muscles.

Does it make sense that if I was to drop the weight and increase volume I could lessen the stress on my rotator cuffs?
    I will find out in about a 2-3 months anyway but I think it is an interesting question and I kinda wanna know beforehand.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.89%

I don't think it's actually the lower volume, it's the fact you are using a higher intensity all the time. I think dropping the weight will help some, but I don't necessarily think increasing the volume will help. Just be careful that you don't go crazy with the volume if you drop the intensity a bit at times. You can likely get the best of both by alternating between heavier, lower volume workouts and lighter, higher volume workouts.
  3. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    I don't think it's actually the lower volume, it's the fact you are using a higher intensity all the time. I think dropping the weight will help some, but I don't necessarily think increasing the volume will help. Just be careful that you don't go crazy with the volume if you drop the intensity a bit at times. You can likely get the best of both by alternating between heavier, lower volume workouts and lighter, higher volume workouts.
    x2. I commonly incorporate variable volume and intensity throughout the week. Gives the joints a break on lighter days and brings up total training volume well.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.49%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Right now I am alternating between 2 exercises for each upper body muscle group, like an A/B split for the upper body. But keeping intensity the same and effort(reps from failure) slightly varying, I have recently decreased intensity from 5-10reps to 12-15 reps in the hopes I wont be having to take 1 week off every month which is what has been happening.
    If this doesnt sort things out I am going to have to take my frequency a step down which I wanna avoid. Right now I got inflammation of the supraspinatus so gonna take it very easy this week.

Note to self, dont take ibuprofen after having 3 coffees.

Similar Forum Threads

1. how much volume is too much volume?a german volume training
    By Dirty music in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
  2. How much is too much volume?
    By spatch in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-19-2006, 11:59 AM
  3. HIT/Volume
    By iron addict in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5