Any Advice on a Newbie Beginner workout???

simon01

Awards
I weighed 360 pounds on April 2nd. Since then, through mainly cutting out crap foods, and trying to eat more Veggies, i am down to 321 as of today (6/28/10). I just started a Gym 2 weeks ago, but have been floating around trying different things. i would like to get serious about weights.

I work out 4 days per week. M,T,TH,F.

Any routines or suggestions would be appreciated. I already take a protien powder, and started using Pink Magic today...will be taking the recommended 6 pills per day, 6 days per week.

Thanks!

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Starting Strength

Google it.

cardio- off days if you like.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Starting Strength

Google it.

This is good...

As far as diet goes, focus on lean protein (fish, chicken, etc), healthy fats and complex carbs. Eat most of your carbs earlier during the day, and avoid excess sugars, simple carbs and starches, and saturated fats. Increase fiber intake and try to consume more protein from whole foods rather then from shakes.

While trying to lose weight, you can still see strength gains since you are a newcomer, but don't expect fast results. Weight training burns more calories then doing cardio, but at your weight I would ease in the cardio to promote healthy cardiovascular system. Diet will be the main focus, with training and sleep as a close second.

GREAT job on the initial loss and good luck on your future progress!

simon01

Awards
SouthernC.....Thanks! I will be sure to check out the site, and keep the nutrition on the forefront.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
fitday.com is great way to track your macros. You can add food that you eat, and pretty much every food you can think of is on there. Really simplifies the diet.

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
Something that really helped me was th ePower, Rep Range, Shock training system by Eric Broser. I've used this for the last several years with tremendous results. Check it out.

www.prrstraining.com

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Starting strength is a great program, but geared too much towards functional strength rather than BBing, if that's what the OP wants then I would recommend it too, but for size I would suggest a 3 day full body workout in higher rep ranges, or if 4d a week training is a must, a push/pull split.

A friend just went from 4 months of starting strength to HST, the strength gains on SS were incredible but no size to show for it apart from legs.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Starting Strength

Google it.

I am going to agree with this as well. Starting Strength literally started my path for me and I tell anyone who asks how to get started to read it. It will teach you pefect form and you will be shocked at the results you get if you follow it as it is laid out in front of you.

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
Aside from the great advice already given, treat your time at the gym the same way you would treat a doctors appointment. Schedule your time and don't alter it. Stay consistent and you'll meet your goals. Good luck. Keep posting.

Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo

Awards
Check out "Comeback Training". Its the first hit on google.

Starts out slow and progresses over a month, then you're ready for something a little more advanced. I've had tons of clients do really well with this and they always enjoy the program.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aside from the great advice already given, treat your time at the gym the same way you would treat a doctors appointment. Schedule your time and don't alter it. Stay consistent and you'll meet your goals. Good luck. Keep posting.
Ill also advocate this.

I have gone through many ups and downs in fitness. When I first started lifting, I went what I felt was often, but it really was when I had time. I never got results, took a bunch of supplements, no results, gave up and said **** it.

Then I got out of shape. I gained alot of weight, all fat. Decided to go on a diet and run, run, run. My diet was terrible (way under what I should have been calories wise) and I was overtraining. Results came but I lost all underlying muscle I had, and was pretty weak and skinny fat. Not what I wanted.

Then I wisened up. I read. Then I read more. I took a break, then I read some more. Then I hit the gym. Starting Stregnth was my favorite read, and it put me on a schedule and said I had to make these 3 days at this time every week. And I did it.

I stayed away from Supplements at first, and just lifted. Results started coming in, but not fast. Then I read read and read on diet. Then results got better. Once those two were in check I read everything about supplements, what to avoid, what to utilize, etc. Results continued.

It says read eat lift in my signature for a reason.