alot of questions,,,,,

allday54

Awards
how much is too much. how many times a week should i work out???? how long should i go for????? how many sets and reps should i do on each lift???? should i do abs everyday????? On my workout routine i usualy do about 5 or 6 diff lifts, but the thing im tryin to figure out is how many sets and reps i should do. on my reps i usualy have 4 to 5 but the sets is what im iffy about. one thing is that i dont feel like ive done a good workout if i havent gone till failure or pretty close. is that overtraining????? suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One question mark is sufficient, thank you.

Pick a program, stick to it. That'll tell you how many sets, how often, etc. If you don't feel like you're training hard enough, you probably aren't. That means more effort, not necessarily more sets or reps.

You weigh 160. If you eat, sleep and squat, you'll grow. Don't fret the minutia.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
That's what i was going to say before i got distracted and resolve beat me to it.

Figure out your goals, find a workout that will help you accomplish that, and then stick to it. After a while you will be able to listen to your body and answer all those questions yourself.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
how much is too much. how many times a week should i work out???? how long should i go for????? how many sets and reps should i do on each lift???? should i do abs everyday????? On my workout routine i usualy do about 5 or 6 diff lifts, but the thing im tryin to figure out is how many sets and reps i should do. on my reps i usualy have 4 to 5 but the sets is what im iffy about. one thing is that i dont feel like ive done a good workout if i havent gone till failure or pretty close. is that overtraining????? suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Your 160 so i would think your still bulking..... working out per week could very from 3 times a week to 5 depending on what you work out. I look at it this way. (This also depends on how much experiene you have) But you have your whole body to work out, that means everything from your foot to your forearms to your neck. thats alot to work out to get every muscle sore. But you have a week to do it. Not only that but my motto is if its sore you dont work it out. Let it rest. This means work out chest and take how ever long it takes to let that muscle recover. Now i always give a muscle group a weeks time to recover. Now you should only work out to minimum 45 minutes to max 1 hour and 30 minutes. Now thats not alot of time but you could get alot done in that 45 minutes which should be enough if you spread out your workouts for example
Monday: chest back and core
Wend: legs and core
Fri:shoulders arms and core

or

Monday: chest
Tues: shoulders
Wend: legs
Thurs: back
Fri: arms
Sat: core
Sunday: cardio

You can split it up how ever you want and what makes you feel more comfortable. You could even add in a stretching day. Which i recommend actually. You dont want those muscle to stay tight and one day pull or even tear a muscle.

Sets and reps. Sets i would keep at 3 or 4 reps i would keep at 8 to 10. Before you start working out you should figure out what your max is on all lifts this weigh you can figure out how close to get so you can hit failure on that rep or even sooner is fine..... for example if my max is 245 i will start my 1st set at 145 to warm up then gradually get closer and closer to 245 making me come even closer to failure. You might get 215 3 times but you prob wont get it 5 times. you get what im saying? Do some research on here and im sure you will find all sorts of great examples of workouts you can do. click on the workout log and check out some of the workouts people are logging and you will be good to go. Hope this helped brother and welcome to am!

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
start w/ 5x5 and stick with it. you'll gain more with that routine + food more than 90% of bb'ing routines. its a great program what focuses on the basic compound lifts

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Resolve. Pick one and stick with it. Keep a training log. Include your weight, diet, supplements and details about each days workout. In a few years, you'll have learned a lot about your body and look back on your first training logs to laugh at your mistakes. Whatever type of workout you choose, use strict form from day one and you'll be much bigger than if you hadn't. Don't let your ego ruin your progress.