Possible to gain reps?

viralencore84

Awards
So I was was wondering if I can lift a certain amount of weight one, and only one time, could I increase that into reps over time with out adding more weight or is there no other way?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
You can but its not ideal and there is a ceiling effect on strength once you get to a certain amount of reps, and the total reps would have to be broken up into a lot of sets.
If you were to stick to one set it concerntrates even more on endurance and you wont gain strength or size, and if you are coming from a strength or BBing program you would lose strength and size.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I think if your 1 rep max on bench was say 300, and you only did that one rep per workout or whatev's, when you go for rep numero 2 you will find yourself pinned under the bar.

In fact I'm 110% confident in my prediction.

viralencore84

Awards
Yeah your right, it might be a bit like suicide if I tried that.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
if your trying to do a heavy weight once then try to get it twice then 3 times try this..

90% of your max. for 8 singles, once you hit that the next week add 5 pounds and do 8 singles.. week 3 go back to the weight you used in week 1 and try to hit doubles once u fail do singles.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of course you can. A very good way to accomplish this is to lengthen the tempo during the eccentric to extend the TUT.

For example, if your initial 1RM was using a 3 second eccentric then lengthen it in subsequent workouts.

The key is not to simply complete your 1RM in the same fashion each workout- doing this would not provide extra stimulus for adaptation making it impossible to do 2 reps with it.

viralencore84

Awards
if your trying to do a heavy weight once then try to get it twice then 3 times try this..

90% of your max. for 8 singles, once you hit that the next week add 5 pounds and do 8 singles.. week 3 go back to the weight you used in week 1 and try to hit doubles once u fail do singles.
That sounds like a good idea. It would also keep me from wrecking myself.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I misread the question, you can do this, I know someone who trains like this with chinups because they maxed out the pulldown machine.

You just do rest pause sets of 1 rep, say 8-15 total reps, but follow it up with a dropset if you can. Then eventually add in doubles(1 set of 2 rep) as the 2nd set, then as the 3rd set. Once you have reached your target reps with sets of 2, repeat the process increasing the 2nd set to 3 reps, then 3rd set to 3 reps etc.
The 1st set will always be the hardest and because of this sets of 1RM arnt a good way to build strength, you should aim for doubles as a minimum, and its not a good way to always train, you should add in higher reps 1-2 times a week or every workout.