German Volume Training GVT does it work?!

johnjohn12345

Awards
Hi Everybody,

So i was looking in a muscle and fitness magizine and came across GVT
(10x10 training each set at 60% 1RM). I tried a sample workout in the magizine and man i was feeling it by sets 7-10 its was hurting but felt good haha. Anyway i am ending my month and half strength program, ive been using the delerome progessive resistence which followed:

4x 6-8; last two sets <100%+ max out; the last two sets RM max isnt crucial.
Progressive so 50% RM, 75% RM, then 2x 100%+ RM

I feel like i have gotten stronger in all my lifts or atleast i feel i have better technique and ROM...I really really want to shock the **** out of my body and what could be better than this. I want to gain some muscle and i feel i am in the perfect condition to do so after my strength program...

What i am asking is has anyone tried GVT with good results? And what kind of workout did you do? If you wouldnt mind could give me the workout you did?

Thanks so much guys!

John

Ession

Awards
What kind of results are you looking for dude? GVT has it's place, although I'm not a huge fan of it.

johnjohn12345

Awards
I am looking to gain some good muscle and weight...the thing everyone wants hahah

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It works. Its tiring and gets boring as hell, but it works. I think honestly a plain 4 day split has worked better than any exotica training method.

aztec02

Awards
Ive used it. I followed the charles poliquin version. It was awesome for a few weeks. It definetely leads to overtraining and gets boring as hell. You will literally hate going to the gym after a few weeks. I think it could be a good way to throw a shock into your program for a week or so but anymore than that youll pry overtrain if your not on gear. Maybe use it for a week or two then deload and switch back to your previous workout. GVT made me lose strength like crazy. I gained size quickly but my strength took a hit.

johnjohn12345

Awards
yea i plan on doing 2-3weeks and going back to strength the first day wasnt easy but i can diff feel it :) And no gear here so just gunna have to do it how i usually do it ha

aztec02

Awards
heres a suggestion i read somewhere on the forums about gvt. once a week pick on bodypart and skip the gvt workout for it and do a 5x5 or whatever strength workout you respond to best. So youd be doing your whole gvt except for one muscle group. Then the next week switch to a different muscle group. This will limit the amount of strength you lose and still allow you to optimize the benefits of gvt without overtraining. Also make sure you use that deload period at the end of your gvt. It will just set you up for longer term success.

aztec02

Awards
on a side note have fun with gvt leg day. I never knew light weights could humble me so quickly or leave me so drained. keep us posted on your progress and watch out for that gvt overtraining. slow long term progress is better then the quick short lived.

johnjohn12345

Awards
Well day two on GVT and wow 100 pull ups my back felt on fire! I really feel a pump the whole time!! I AM HOOKED :) But has anyone used the OTV pretty much the samething but different muscle groups 5x5 supset example:
1.bench 5x5 tempo 201 no rest
1a.Chest flys 5x5 602 60sec

I might try this cause i like the idea of hitting different heads of a muscle and not just going on one. Let me know what you guys think about what would be better for me cause i am trying to get the most of this mass phase. I have day or two rest so i start again soon but i am really liking the 5x5 superset. The good news i am going on vacation for 12 days in ireland on the 7th of july so that will work for my "delayed results" :)

Just let me know what you think would be good 5x5 (OTV superset) or 10x10 or would they be the same

Thanks!

johnjohn12345

Awards
OVT* i mean not OTV hahah thought it looked wrong

johnjohn12345

Awards
So what do you think i should stick with OVT or GVT?

aztec02

Awards
stick with the gvt and only do it for the few weeks you spoke of. Then deload... judge on your results. maybe give the other style a try a few months later. I can only speak for the gvt...it did give me visible sign gains but i was on it for way to long. Should have done 3 weeks and deloaded then back to a 5x5 or similar. goodluck man lets us know how it treats you. are you supersetting your 10x10's and then doing a few accessories? im not familiar with the muscle and fitness setup only the original poliquin version thats been around forever.

johnjohn12345

Awards
Yea M and M is the same setup. Well i am just going to stick with GVT ill let u know how it goes i got 2 weeks let till the trip! :)

aztec02

Awards
i tried this for gvt leg day once and it was ridiculous: 10x10 front squat superset with 10x10 glute ham raise. then some assistance work on the donkey calf machine and seated calf. Couldn't walk for a week. Not something id do a lot but worth a try.

johnjohn12345

Awards
i tried this for gvt leg day once and it was ridiculous: 10x10 front squat superset with 10x10 glute ham raise. then some assistance work on the donkey calf machine and seated calf. Couldn't walk for a week. Not something id do a lot but worth a try.
Tomorrow is leg day, i love squats there my strongest lift so i am excited but i figure this is going to hurt.... a lot. I can post my workout if you want to take a look at it and give me some advice or if its good to go?

aztec02

Awards
go for it. I'm sure someone else is far more knowledgable than me but if you post it you'll get good suggestions from everyone who looks.

johnjohn12345

Awards
go for it. I'm sure someone else is far more knowledgable than me but if you post it you'll get good suggestions from everyone who looks.
HERE SHE IS...

DAY 1: 60SEC REST INTERVALS
SQUAT 10X10
LEG CURL 10X10
SEATED CALF 10X10
INCLINE SIT UP 3X10

DAY2:
BENCH PRESS 10X10
PULL UP 10X10
CABLE-CROSS 4X10
SEATED ROW 4X10

DAY4:
DIP 10X10
EZ-BAR OR PREACHER 10X10
SHRUG BAR OR DUM 10X10
LEANING BENT OVER/ LATERAL/ FRONT RAISE (LEANING FROM FIXED OBJECT) 3-4X8 (90 SEC REST)

ANY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR BETTER LIFTS OR ANYTHING PLEASE SHARE THANK YOU!

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
crunch for incline situp

10x10 seated row not 4x10.

and a rear delt exercise along with the side and front delts.

johnjohn12345

Awards
crunch for incline situp

10x10 seated row not 4x10.

and a rear delt exercise along with the side and front delts.
Thank you for the advice. What days do you suggest i add this too and what kind of exercises you suggest with reps?