p90x and weight training mixture?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

p90x and weight training mixture?

Was woundering what yalls opinion would be. I was thinking about running the p90x. but instead of doing it every day. i was thinking one week do p90x and then the next week do weight training.. Im not trying to loose weight at all. But i was figureing to give myself a break from all the years of heavy lifting and try out the body workouts and focus more on yoga and cardio.
    I have heard that with p90x you loose alot of strangth. so this is also why i figure to do it one week on one week off sort of thing..... What yall think??

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

No one?
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  202 lbs.

p-90x is not bad to mix things up.you well not gain size with these workout but they are great for getting more cut.i have used them on recomp with some sucess i did not lose any strenght.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

p90x is a waste of money in my opinion. you dont look out of shape dude so im guessing you know more than the basics of working out. i think p90x is just a way to sucker in fat people and the " ahh you should of seen me back in the day" types. id go strict weights bc your not gonna preserve enough strength inbetween weight workouts and the p90x bc i will admit they work the **** out of you but damn anyone who's been to bootcamp knows pretty much everything they can offer
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Was woundering what yalls opinion would be. I was thinking about running the p90x. but instead of doing it every day. i was thinking one week do p90x and then the next week do weight training.. Im not trying to loose weight at all. But i was figureing to give myself a break from all the years of heavy lifting and try out the body workouts and focus more on yoga and cardio.
    I have heard that with p90x you loose alot of strangth. so this is also why i figure to do it one week on one week off sort of thing..... What yall think??
    Funny because I have been thinking about doing something similar with P90x. I lift 3 to 4 days a week and was thinking about doing P90x on my off days. I am going to try it.....the only challenge for me is making sure that what I do on P90x does not screw me for my next session in the gym.....but I think I can pick and choose what I do on P90x and time it so that I have recovered in time to lift.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Yeah I'm not sure yet. I would reply like to get ha k into my wrestling shape. Lol. Like cardiovascular wise and all. But I would not want to loose my streangth... so this is why I'm considering this transition. Plus you can choose to do eight reps instead of the full out reps. On px. I will just need to get my heavy weight for it. During the videos I would still consider the heavy weight lifting. I'm mainly looking for the core and cardio and yoga. Are the main things. Plus I'm willing to be a guinea pig for this. Who knows maybe I'm onto something here.....
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Im ONLY doing P90x right now. But I planned on mixing things up this winter when I have funds to get to a gym again. But def. post your decision and how you make out man.

RECOVERBRO

8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I think p90x has some functional training that some people, even experienced weight lifters over look. I do some p90x with my weight training, i use ab ripperx and plyometrics almost every week and it definably does the trick. it adds more of an athletic based training to my regimen that i was missing before. I like to play basketball and football still and its done a good amount for me athletically
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 10bathroomsO View Post
    p90x is a waste of money in my opinion. you dont look out of shape dude so im guessing you know more than the basics of working out. i think p90x is just a way to sucker in fat people and the " ahh you should of seen me back in the day" types. id go strict weights bc your not gonna preserve enough strength inbetween weight workouts and the p90x bc i will admit they work the **** out of you but damn anyone who's been to bootcamp knows pretty much everything they can offer
    no your wrong man, it is not a waste of money, well it might be a little bit too expensive but it gives results you cant argue with.

i think its more of a cardio, fat burning, endurance workout.

i think a better idea would be to workout with weights for 6 weeks,( your obviously already ther) and hit p90 for about 2 weeks, then continue. just to give it a try.

every body has roughly 50% of type 2 muscle fibers and 50% type 1 fibers.

type 2, = more strength for hypertrophy and type 1 = long lasting or "endurance" fibers

if your just working your type 2 fibers, your other half isnt getting enough attention.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by triton185 View Post
    Funny because I have been thinking about doing something similar with P90x. I lift 3 to 4 days a week and was thinking about doing P90x on my off days. I am going to try it.....the only challenge for me is making sure that what I do on P90x does not screw me for my next session in the gym.....but I think I can pick and choose what I do on P90x and time it so that I have recovered in time to lift.
    I wouldn't do P90X on your rest days. P90X is not easy if you do what you're suppose to. It will be a overtraining nightmare and you will find that out real quick. If you want to maintain strength just add more weight. Do weighted pull ups, put plates on your back when you do push ups and use heavy ass DBs. I think that would do the trick. I think P90X has it's place in training and should be done in cycles.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by zaxariah View Post
    I wouldn't do P90X on your rest days. P90X is not easy if you do what you're suppose to. It will be a overtraining nightmare and you will find that out real quick. If you want to maintain strength just add more weight. Do weighted pull ups, put plates on your back when you do push ups and use heavy ass DBs. I think that would do the trick. I think P90X has it's place in training and should be done in cycles.
    This is pretty good advice. You have to be really careful when adding things to your training so you don't overdo things. If you are adding P90X, or anything that's hard conditioning, it's likely going to affect your strength levels. When you add something like this, you should try to compensate by decreasing your normal lifting volume. You also won't be able to add the entire P90X program since it's meant to be a stand-alone program, not something you add to an already strenuous training program. Once you adapt to the conditioning (at least several weeks), you can slowly add in some more volume to your lifting if you can tolerate it.
    I recently added some kettlebell conditioning work and had to scale back my heavy lifting to the bare essentials. Even with that, I lost some strength, especially initially. Now I've adapted to the conditioning and my strength has started to rebound just a little bit. You only have a finite ability to recover, so you have to find the right mix of activities to fit your goals and not try to go full speed on everything at the same time.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

True^^^^... i figure instead of going for the whole just "bodybuilding lifting weights and getting size" idea. I figure hitting alllllll aspects of every muscle, every muscle fiber. This is a whole new ball playing field since i have always been just lifting heavy weight with some cardio... Im excited. Im ready to see what kind of body i will transform into. I know what i look like when i just lift heavy weight but getting my body into all aspects of being fit. I might loose some strength but im not upset about that because i had hurt my back at work and have not been able to work out for four weeks now so i already lost some streangth. lol. So im trying to look at it as a new flat level to set my 'ladder' on. I dont think it will be a bad idea. i dont think.... Im hopiing this is a really good idea. In my mind it is.......... But im not always sane... lol
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.

I thought standing in front of a tv working out was stupid, but I did p90x and it was a good break from my normal routine. It improved my flexibility and helped me find my weak spots. As far as strength, being 250 and repping out chinups and pullups takes a lot of strength and instead of using a 20lb dumbbell (like they do on the video) for shoulder exercises, go for the 50's for reps.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Yeah im pushing it with heavy weight. I also have stretch bands that are the real thick kind. By the way started a log fellas, and here is the link Getting X'ed out and Weight Lifting Mix, Workout Video Log

Check it out just started this week.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. P90X or Turbulence Training
    By CoyoteL32 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 06:15 PM
  2. P90x and Weight Training?
    By McGilly in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
  3. Replies: 0