People I like in the gym (NO HOMO!!)

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
I figured instead of bitching about the dumbnuts that plague every gym we could discuss people we enjoy working out with/around.

I workout at LSU's REC and i've met some cool people there.

One dude named Bo (guess that's his real name) needed a spot one day doing dumbbell presses so i helped him out. Since we were both doing shoulders that day we ended up being workout buddies for a little while and now we give each other "the nod" anytime we're in there.

There's this group of huge ass dudes that always workout together. They're kind of loud and annoying sometimes but anytime you're around them they'll offer to help you out if you need it but keep to themselves if you look like you're good on you're own.

So there's a couple of mine. Yall have any good stories?

OOOH, can't forget the college girls that are running around. Not trying to "put the p**** on a pedestal" but we all push a little harder when girls are around. :thumbsup:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone doing actual deads (chalk, straps, etc.), walking lunges, squats. Hell, general hard leg work.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I met this guy who is double my height and in great shape. He always good for a spot and holds a good conversation, but not to where it interferes with my workout. Sad thing is, he remembers my name, but I don't remember his.

Anyone not watching the 6 televisions while sitting at a machine.

Anyone training hard, especially those who are training legs.

The old guys in there 70's. Wisdom.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I met this guy who is double my height and in great shape. He always good for a spot and holds a good conversation, but not to where it interferes with my workout. Sad thing is, he remembers my name, but I don't remember his.

Anyone not watching the 6 televisions while sitting at a machine.

Anyone training hard, especially those who are training legs.

The old guys in there 70's. Wisdom.
:( I watch the tv during my warm up and warm down cardio, but its not fast paced so otherwise I would get bored.

Oh and there was a guy who was pretty damn big, very low bf%, definitely knew what he was doing, someone significantly younger came up to him and kept asking about different supplements, big guy turned to him, and said "Here are my favrite supplements: Food, Water, and a Gym. Until you have all that you can get from those three, we don't need to talk about supplements anymore." Respect.

I like guys who are respectful. I put a tremendous effort into not interfering with other people's workouts, and I have very high respect for those that do the same.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you exhibit good form on a more "major" movement, I will typically compliment you on it. I don't care if you've got 10lb on the bar, if your squat is actually decent, I'll respect you.

Aldross

Aldross

Awards
My vote goes for this guy who works out at like 2am (I work 2nd shift I assume he does as well) who goes around and cleans up the mess everyone has left sitting since the staff has gone for the day. Not his job and I'm sure no one even knows who does it but he cares and I respect the hell outa that.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
anyone who doesnt have an "arm" day

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
"stare in the mirrors day"

:lol:
haha yeah, I mean it doesnt bother me when people flex n stare.

just that the concept it takes an entire session to destroy your biceps.

I mean 60mins in gym = destroyed biceps

60mins in gym = destroyed chest

seriously, lol?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What i've noticed that is kinda funny is that pretty well all the 35+ guys nod to each other, do a little chit chat if they are working in on the same equipment and are generally friendly but concentrate on the workout, and most of the younger guys are douches who are there more for the social activity than the gym.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What i've noticed that is kinda funny is that pretty well all the 35+ guys nod to each other, do a little chit chat if they are working in on the same equipment and are generally friendly but concentrate on the workout, and most of the younger guys are douches who are there more for the social activity than the gym.
As a young guy I couldn't agree more. I consider myself one of the exceptions to the rule for the young crowd, but kids that weigh 150 walking with their arms out and crooked ed hardy hats, ughh...On the other hand, the few times I have caught myself in conversation at the gym (I usually come off as non-friendly because I am in my own world), have been with older guys, who have proven to be quite serious about lifting.

mDeezy

mDeezy

Awards
  • Established
Wow at my gym its the complete opposite, the young guys are puttin in work while the older (35-50 or so) guys just walk around looking at machines.

But the people I like at the gym are, of course, the horde of smoking hot college girls on the cardio machines that inspire me to push out that extra rep lol.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
heh, at my gym nobody works except for the random <1% of guys who you'll see maybe once a week. Age is irrelevant, the majority are pretty clueless.

There is 1 other guy that I've seen dead more than 315, and only maybe two others I've seen squat decently. It really brightens my workout when I see someone lift well.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow at my gym its the complete opposite, the young guys are puttin in work while the older (35-50 or so) guys just walk around looking at machines.

But the people I like at the gym are, of course, the horde of smoking hot college girls on the cardio machines that inspire me to push out that extra rep lol.
I mean older in a relative manner, not old. Still young guys, late 30s/early 40s I am talking about.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure because my ipod is kinda loud, but i think people stare at me when im deadlifting over 3 plates because i make a lot of noise on the lift, not because it's impressive lol.

BIG R

Awards
I like guys who are respectful. I put a tremendous effort into not interfering with other people's workouts, and I have very high respect for those that do the same.
Agreed 100%

I purposely dont work out with friends because I dont want to be distracted. I try to stay out of other people's way and I want the same.

I dont mind other people yapping, sometimes its even interesting, but I dont want a part of it. When I want to talk, I go to the tavern, not the gym.

Chico222

Awards
There are women at the gym??!! Ha! I don't even pay attention. I step inside my gym and blast angry hiphop music through my ipod and I'm gone in my own little world.

People I respect? Check this out.....

I respect the 6'2 120lb dude who sits on the bench next to me dumbbell pressing 25lb's while I'm doing 90lb's, and seeing him do that with complete confidence and security. Hell yeah that's what's up. No ego, no being embarrassed about what you lift, just getting in there and doing it without a care about who's around doing what.

I respect the 300lb man who it dripping sweat on the stepper when I step inside the gym, and is still going at it strong when I'm stepping out, that's effort.

I respect the person who RACKS THEIR WEIGHTS!!!

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
heh, at my gym nobody works except for the random <1% of guys who you'll see maybe once a week. Age is irrelevant, the majority are pretty clueless.

There is 1 other guy that I've seen dead more than 315, and only maybe two others I've seen squat decently. It really brightens my workout when I see someone lift well.
Sounds like my gym, where do you lift lol..

elgenyo

elgenyo

Awards
  • Established
The guy that finishes that last rep and squeezes out that last negative without slamming the weights on the rack or floor.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
Anyone who squats below parallel, whatever the weight, and the smaller guys who lift heavy for their bodyweight with good form. I like displays of intensity as well, which i very rarely see; someone who goes balls to the wall and leaves everything in the gym

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
There is this old guy in my gym....prob 65....who is pretty big and lean. And I don't mean all roided up. You can tell he is natural. I respect that.

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
I like to see camel toe at the gym. lol. The guys I respect at the gym are the ones that come in on a mission and know exactly what they're plan is. I also like to see the progress people make-fat to thin, thin to muscular. It motivates me.

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
As a young guy I couldn't agree more. I consider myself one of the exceptions to the rule for the young crowd, but kids that weigh 150 walking with their arms out and crooked ed hardy hats, ughh...On the other hand, the few times I have caught myself in conversation at the gym (I usually come off as non-friendly because I am in my own world), have been with older guys, who have proven to be quite serious about lifting.
i definitely walk around with arms out and a crooked ed hardy hat haha. everyone at the gym thinks im a huge a$$hole, couple staff girls i know there tell me all the time that people talk sh!t bout me haha.

The guy that finishes that last rep and squeezes out that last negative without slamming the weights on the rack or floor.
i also push out my last reps and SLAM the weights on the floor. im not playin around with the 8lb dumbells here, im not risking injuring to make sure the rubber weight doesnt bang the rubber floor too hard.