Grip Strength

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Hey Guys,

My dead-lift is currently hindered primarily by my grip strength.

The lifts in my workout (push/pull/legs 3 days split) that work my grip are mainly, barbell rows, pull ups, alternate dumbbell rows and dead-lifts.

My question, is there anything I can do to specifically train my grip, was thinking of getting one of those "captains of crush" grip trainers.

Anyone got any ideas?

I understand that by doing more dead-lifting and more pull-ups my grip will slowly improve, but I'm looking for something to help the grip along.

Cheers

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Do lots of heavy forearm curls.

Try a neutral grip (I think...1 suppinated 1 pronated) for the Deadlift.

Dunno what captain of crush is, assuming its on of those squeezy grippers? I have one I got from wally worlrd, not really sure how effective they are.

Also, I just got mine so can't comment yet, but Fatgripz.com they slip over your bars/dbs so you are forced to use much more grip and forearm strength to even hold the bar...I tried them with 15lb dbs the other day and it smoked me.

deadlift18

Awards
just use lifting straps. IMO unless your a powerlifter it really doesnt matter

colange2

Awards
I would try some heavy farmers holds/walks...they have helped me a lot

kmcart

Awards
I definitely second the farmers walk and try out the captains of crush gripper they aren't your run of the mill hand gripper they are top quality and will help with your grip strength a great deal. You won't be disappointed with them trust me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
CoC is the best way. A cheaper way would be to do rack holds.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja, I assume you have used the CoC? If so how did you determine which weight point was best for your intitial purchase?
I've used them, but it was only once. I know several powerlifters that use them to supplement their grip/forearm routine. I honestly have no idea how to pick them out, though.

kmcart

Awards
Rodja, I assume you have used the CoC? If so how did you determine which weight point was best for your intitial purchase?
Not to but in but for me I just started with the #1 depending on your grip strength now you may be able to start higher, check out the ironmind website they might have a better way to help you figure out to start. And heck worst case scenario you get one that you can't close and have a goal to work towards.

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Cheers Guys, think ill start with the #1 and see how I get on.

I work out at home, so no rack.

But might take my bar out in the yard and hold it till it drops outside, get a couple o tyres to keep the paving in one peice :p

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
yap! great choice! follow votum's idea, your grip will be better. Just keep repeating the routine everyday. :D

mDeezy

mDeezy

Awards
  • Established
+1 on farmer's walks and it also helps to just hang from a chinup bar with a front grip for as long as you can (use a weighted belt if your bodyweight is too easy)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
fat gripz are also another good option. truly force yourself to hold onto the bar

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
AE, how often do you use them? I got them in a few weeks ago and am not totally sure how to effectively implement them. Right now I just do a couple concentration sets of everything I did in my main workout with drastically lower weights of course

Ironloo

coc grippers a ok, fat gripz are great and weighted baseball or softball pullups are the best mbodystrength.com sells them for $69.99 i made my own at hardware store for $5 bucks

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Since you work out at home......mount a chin bar using a pipe that is big enough that you cannot wrap your hands around it....do chins or just hang on. I know it sounds ghetto but it works and it's basically free.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AE, how often do you use them? I got them in a few weeks ago and am not totally sure how to effectively implement them. Right now I just do a couple concentration sets of everything I did in my main workout with drastically lower weights of course
I use them a few times a week, just sprinkled in. Your forearms will feel it right away. I will donate certain days (back/bis) where every exercise I use them. I am in pain after that
I'll sell my fat gripz if anybody wants to buy them...
you unhappy with them?

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
you unhappy with them?
They were great the few times I used them, but my goals have changed and I just don't use them anymore. Really no need to keep them if they just sit around.

dementor

dementor

Awards
I do Barholds, great for grip streangth. Use weights heavy as you can hold the bar for max 20-30 seconds, rest 30-60 minutes and repeat a coulpe of sets. Depends on how you handle underarms pump...!

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
With the deadlifts, to keep progressing either use straps, or a mixed grip if you aren't already.

For direct grip training, the coc's are good and proven, you can also do plate pinches, chins/pullups, timed hangs and holds, and use thick bars. Thick bars are a great addition to not only grip training, but training in general. They are much harder to lift and tax the hands and forearms like no other.

NOwa

NOwa

Awards
if u dont mind me asking how exactly did you make your own grips?

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
Captain of crush grippers will only make you better at captain of crush grippers.

Fat gripz are good, as are towel pul ups (wrap towels around handles and grab them), double overhand grip on a fat bar will humble you very quickly. I also like to hold the last rep of a deadlift set at the top for as long as i can. the Rolling thunder is another grip aid, although i've never used one so i can't recommend it but i have heard good things.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Whats your grip like on deadlift?

Usually I do a few over over grip sets and few over under grip sets (make sure to split these and change hands because you'll develop a little unevenly). Usually my grip starts to fail around 400 for sets so I just switch to over under and increase until my back is tired. I used the fat gripz for a while, they ruin your back workout though because your hands get so tired from holding the bar. I don't recommend them unless you're just going to use them to train forearms. Just keep working your forearms hard, they will come along soon enough. My forearms are pretty big now..

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Whats your grip like on deadlift?

Usually I do a few over over grip sets and few over under grip sets (make sure to split these and change hands because you'll develop a little unevenly). Usually my grip starts to fail around 400 for sets so I just switch to over under and increase until my back is tired. I used the fat gripz for a while, they ruin your back workout though because your hands get so tired from holding the bar. I don't recommend them unless you're just going to use them to train forearms. Just keep working your forearms hard, they will come along soon enough. My forearms are pretty big now..
Good advice man, I'm sort of in the same boat but slowly improving.

"make sure to split these and change hands because you'll develop a little unevenly"

Lol I didn't do this and it took a while for my left arm grip to catch up.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Good advice man, I'm sort of in the same boat but slowly improving.

"make sure to split these and change hands because you'll develop a little unevenly"

Lol I didn't do this and it took a while for my left arm grip to catch up.
Haha yeah dude it can be pretty drastic, but it doesn't even seem that bad while you're actually doing the lift. I would expect to feel more of a burn or something to make it more apparent that one side was getting worked harder but you don't really feel it and a lot of people neglect it.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
I recomment the captains of crush grippers and the ironmind rubber bands for the extensors of the hands. Until you get some try doing plate pinches, monkey hangs and rows using your finger tips.