Need help on choosing a split

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Need help on choosing a split

So, my goal is to gain size and strength. I started lifting about 10 months ago doing 10-8-6 (sometimes 10-8-6-4, or 18-8-4 if I think I can start going heavier). After doing it for 10 months I think it's time for a change. I've been reading up on the 5x5 and 5/3/1 routines, but would like to know what yall think would be best, and your experiences basically.

Diet is fine, and I am in the gym 5-6 days out of the week. Which makes the 5x5 kinda bleh for me because you up it weekly(from what I read). I have the time to hit it that much (college, job, and that's about all I do these days, till I move), and I'd feel like I was wasting time if I couldn't be actually making any progress while I DO have the free days.

I've tried to check out more routines, but once it gets ridiculously complex, I have a WTF moment and just decide I need something simpler, lol.

Cliffs: Doing 10-8-6 for 10 months, think I need a change in routine. What would be best for strength and size increase.

EDIT: Posted this at 3 AM, so I forgot some stuff, lol. Here is how my routine usually worked out:
    1st day: Bis/tris
    2nd day: Shoulders
    3rd day: Back
    4th day: Chest
    5th day: Legs
    Rest
    Rinse repeat(sometimes I skip rest day, depending on if I feel I had a good week).

Weights have been going up (till I screwed up my wrist(s) and think it will be a few more days till I can do things like curls again. I can do chest day(most exercises), back day, and leg day even with the wrists funky. Can't do shoulders right now or bis/tris because of the grips. I don't know what I did to them, but I wasn't able to rotate my wrists at all at first, then it healed up. First it was with my left hand, now my right. It happened after my bi/tri day both times, and both times were days my weight went up. I don't plan on doing many BB curls after the right one heals though. Left one is back to normal.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.
    Answers

You should just give the 5x5 a shot, and do it as is, it's as simple as punching in your maxes here: http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx and following it.

Do that for a month and see how it treats you, remember to do it as is, don't add anything extra.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Answers

seeing the numbers get so big at the 12th week makes me feel like im going to be a beast lol.

can you explain the "assistance" part though. do you just add those in as needed/wanted or what?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for the link, was looking for one like that, but was looking for words like spreadsheet, and was getting nothing on google.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

What is the "set interval %" and the "tonnage cutoff %" on that calculator from the link?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

First of all, straight up: if you're trying to gain size and strength you better stop goin 5 days a week.
    My strong suggestion: invest your time in a DC style 3-day split. I've responded amazingly and put on about 2" on my chest alone within a 6mo time frame just to exemplify. Here's the game: an eight day cycle over two weeks time using only heavy weight and extreme stretching after each motion. ONLY ONE motion per body part worked that day. Three sets achieving a TOTAL rep count between 10-15. Not three sets of 10-15 reps, kinda like what you were doin - 7/4/3...9/3/2. We're goin to failure here. Five motions each day, back thickness and quads are bigger groups and built a bit differently s they're always a real ****in heavy 8 set then drop weight and try to get 20. I personally do calves 3 sets to 30 because of their anatomy.
    MON- Chest,Shoulders,Tris,Back width, Back thickness(8/20)
    WED- High Biceps, Inner biceps, Calves, Hammys, Quads (8/20)
    FRI - Chest,Shoulders,Tris,Back width, Back thickness(8/20)
    MON - High Biceps, Inner biceps, Calves, Hammys, Quads (8/20)
    WED - Chest,Shoulders,Tris,Back width, Back thickness(8/20)
    FRI - High Biceps, Inner biceps, Calves, Hammys, Quads (8/20)

Now you've hit every body part three times in eight days with 3-4 days rest between each workout. The heavy weight to failure fatigues the muscles, the stretching is SUPER important because that's where the tearing comes in and builds separation and maturity. No need for abs or forearms - when you're pickin up this heavy of weight you don't need to. Pick your favorite three exercises for each body part and cycle them. When you peak (which you won't), find a new one.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OrganicShadow View Post
    First of all, straight up: if you're trying to gain size and strength you better stop goin 5 days a week.
    My strong suggestion: invest your time in a DC style 3-day split. I've responded amazingly and put on about 2" on my chest alone within a 6mo time frame just to exemplify. Here's the game: an eight day cycle over two weeks time using only heavy weight and extreme stretching after each motion. ONLY ONE motion per body part worked that day. Three sets achieving a TOTAL rep count between 10-15. Not three sets of 10-15 reps, kinda like what you were doin - 7/4/3...9/3/2. We're goin to failure here. Five motions each day, back thickness and quads are bigger groups and built a bit differently s they're always a real ****in heavy 8 set then drop weight and try to get 20. I personally do calves 3 sets to 30 because of their anatomy.
    MON- Chest,Shoulders,Tris,Back width, Back thickness(8/20)
    WED- High Biceps, Inner biceps, Calves, Hammys, Quads (8/20)
    FRI - Chest,Shoulders,Tris,Back width, Back thickness(8/20)
    MON - High Biceps, Inner biceps, Calves, Hammys, Quads (8/20)
    WED - Chest,Shoulders,Tris,Back width, Back thickness(8/20)
    FRI - High Biceps, Inner biceps, Calves, Hammys, Quads (8/20)

Now you've hit every body part three times in eight days with 3-4 days rest between each workout. The heavy weight to failure fatigues the muscles, the stretching is SUPER important because that's where the tearing comes in and builds separation and maturity. No need for abs or forearms - when you're pickin up this heavy of weight you don't need to. Pick your favorite three exercises for each body part and cycle them. When you peak (which you won't), find a new one.
    About 2 days ago, I finally got my MaximizeV2 in the mail. I've had VERY little time to do much with numbers or sit down and figure my 5x5 up (and read more on it). But I've been able to gulp down some MaxV2 the past 2 days, and have had freaking awesome days. My focus is back (a lot going on right now so I had been kinda bleh) and all my weights are skyrocketing because I have the strength for the higher weight, I just haven't been focused. Something is finally starting to click in my head that went awry a few months ago. That being said, since I am still putting on size with my current routine(s), should I grind this out until I have little/no gains and then move to a different split like you suggested, or the 5x5?

Keep in mind I've only been lifting for 10 months, not sure when the gains from my basic stuff will drop off, or when it usually does for the vets and such. I always lift heavy because I have 5 days or so before I will hit that part again.

Not doubting you or anything, just want to make sure I don't prematurely switch over while I'm still seeming to grow (though slower, but I haven't been eating as much and wasn't focused, which is why I am assuming since I have picked up my eating back to par, and my focus is back because of MaxV2(or a miracle), the gains will be coming in just as quick as they were before).

I may just give it 2-3 weeks and see, seems like trial and error is what works best.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

OK. Give it a shot and let's see what kind of progress you make. 2-3 weeks isnt enough time to adequately judge something like that. Give it 2-3 months. The reason I suggest cutting down days is because your not giving your body enough dowtime to really maximize hypertrophy. It doesn't have the calories to spend reconstructing tissue because you're working out. Each body responds differently so what may be optimal for me might not be as effective for you. Just don't underestimate the growing power of the off days.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

2-3 months it is then.

I plan on moving to a 3-4 day split eventually, just not sure when. I know school will be picking up, so that may be a great time to start a different split (probably around Jan. it will get heavier, if not this next semester).

Atleast now I don't need to post later on when I am wondering, just straight to 5x5(or your split).

Again, thanks for all the help.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

School makes it tough, it really does. A 5x5 is definitely more feasibile now in the summer. I'm on a 4 day split now, similar style but it cycles over 3 weeks instead of 2. If and when you decide to move to something like a 3 day the 5x5 will be good for reference numbers.
    Franz Kafka
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. I need help choosing a ph..
    By Thewhizz in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 09:07 AM
  2. 3day split to 4day split for fat loss?
    By SamuraiSid in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 06:32 PM
  3. help choosing a cycle
    By redski30 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 03:50 PM