Trying to convert my 5 day into a 3 day

RAZORBACK09

Awards
  • Established
Right now i'm on a 5 day split. I've been using the same routine for about 2-3 months changing it slightly but I can no longer do a 5 day and I want to do a 3. Currently I'm on a cut cycle, mostly just trying to define my muscle and loose a bit more belly fat. The 5 day I was using was for bulking, I would like to try to stay around the same sets/reps. I feel my muscles are now too used to this routine and it needs a change. With a huge help of suncloud I was able to make this workout.

Right now this is how it looks, if someone can help get me into a 3 day that would be great :

MONDAY :

Bench
incline bench
weighted dips
close grip bench
reverse grip seated dips
upright rows
military press

TUESDAY :

deadlifts
shrugs
t-bar rows
barbell curl
face pulls

WED :

squats
leg extension
leg press
calf raises
pinwheel curls

THURS :

dumbell bench
tri pulldown (parallel)
tri pulldown (overhand)
tri pulldown (underhand)
front DB raises
cable crossovers

FRI :

DB rows
rope hammer curls
DB shrugs
face down rear delt raises

Everyday was 3 sets, 10-12/6-8/2-3 (If I could do more, I did)

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Your on an advanced routine so it would be very hard to compress it into 3 workouts without drastically decreasing your volume.

I think you have 2 options, decrease the amount of exercises but keep roughly the same amount of sets for that muscle group and compress it into 3 days.

Or make it an AM/PM split so 2 of those 3 days you will be training twice.

If your gonna remove a set make it the last which is only 2-3 reps but would require a bit of a rest so not as time efficient as the others.

How long have you been on this routine for? It seems pretty solid and if you just want to change it because your not gaining as much then instead I would probably keep it and instead decrease your volume for 2-3 weeks then go back to it.

I might be missing something but i dont see anything for lats like pullups?

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
Monday

Incline bench
Military press
Weighted dips
Skullcrushers
Lat raises

Wed

Deadlifts
One arm db rows
Shrugs
Barbell curls
Hammers curls

Fri

Leg extensions
Squats
Leg curls
Calf raises

RAZORBACK09

Awards
  • Established
Your on an advanced routine so it would be very hard to compress it into 3 workouts without drastically decreasing your volume.

I think you have 2 options, decrease the amount of exercises but keep roughly the same amount of sets for that muscle group and compress it into 3 days.

Or make it an AM/PM split so 2 of those 3 days you will be training twice.

If your gonna remove a set make it the last which is only 2-3 reps but would require a bit of a rest so not as time efficient as the others.

How long have you been on this routine for? It seems pretty solid and if you just want to change it because your not gaining as much then instead I would probably keep it and instead decrease your volume for 2-3 weeks then go back to it.

I might be missing something but i dont see anything for lats like pullups?
Actually the only reason I want to change is because I dont have time anymore for 5 days and I always end up having to double sack some days and cutting stuff out. Nothing for lats (like pull-ups) because I took them out do to a injury that made it hurt doing pull-ups.

Would something like this be good?

Day 1

Flat BB Bench Press- 3x5
Incline Bench - 3x5
Weighted Dips- 3x5
Seated DB Overhead Press- 3x8
Corner Press - 3x10
Triceps extension- 3x8

Day 2

Squats- 5x5
Calf raise- 4x12
Dead lifts - 5x5
Bulgarian split squats or weighted lunges - 3x8
Good Mornings - 3x6 (I would go light on this movement)
Calf raise- 4x12

Day 3

Pull-ups (Weighted if possible)
Standard overhand grip- 3x5
Standard underhand grip- 3x5
Standard neutral grip- 3x5

Rows
Bent over BB row- 3x8
Seated Cable row- 3x8

I'd like to throw some more in for arms, I feel like my arms need to grow, the rest of my body looks good.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
You need 2:1 scapular depression to scapular elevation, if you cant do pullups or even just scapular depression excercises(hang in the pullup position and keep ur elbows straight and just lift your body with your shoulders) then you should stop shrugging and overhead pressing until you can and instead do front raises.

Add in some rear delt work.

your already have heaps of volume for your triceps, try doing dropsets rather than just 3x5s.

RAZORBACK09

Awards
  • Established
I didn't do pull-ups for awhile cause of a injury, I can now though.

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
Actually the only reason I want to change is because I dont have time anymore for 5 days and I always end up having to double sack some days and cutting stuff out. Nothing for lats (like pull-ups) because I took them out do to a injury that made it hurt doing pull-ups.

Would something like this be good?

Day 1

Flat BB Bench Press- 3x5
Incline Bench - 3x5
Weighted Dips- 3x5
Seated DB Overhead Press- 3x8
Corner Press - 3x10
Triceps extension- 3x8

You can drop the tricep work, you are already hitting them with 3 press variations and the weighted dips, that's plenty of tricep work as it is.

Day 2

Squats- 5x5
Calf raise- 4x12
Dead lifts - 5x5
Bulgarian split squats or weighted lunges - 3x8
Good Mornings - 3x6 (I would go light on this movement)
Calf raise- 4x12

No need to do 8 sets of calfs, it would probably be best to just finish your leg workout with the calf raises rather than do them after the squats. Also I wouldn't do GMs and deadlifts in the same workout, not to mention squats as well, that's quite a beating on the lower back.

Day 3

Pull-ups (Weighted if possible)
Standard overhand grip- 3x5
Standard underhand grip- 3x5
Standard neutral grip- 3x5

Rows
Bent over BB row- 3x8
Seated Cable row- 3x8

I don't really see the need for all the pull up variations, but if it works for you that's fine I suppose, you should add in two curl variations in this workout, one bicep dominant such as barbell curls, and one forearm dominant such as hammer curls.

I'd like to throw some more in for arms, I feel like my arms need to grow, the rest of my body looks good.
Check my notes above.