Working out while tired?
- 05-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Working out while tired?
First off, a little about my workout schedule. I just finished my first year of college track (Im 19), and this offseason I need to get WAY stronger. So, im getting a membership to Anytime Fitness. I lifted a ton in high school and it really helped, and this offseason I have a lot of work to do.
So, here's my situation: I work in construction and am usually exhausted at the end of the day, when id usually go lifting. I could lift in the morning... but that would mean being to the gym by 5:30. And id rather not do that... but if i have to, I will.
So, anybody have any ideas? I dont want to lift after work and be kinda tired and not be fully 'into it'. I got pre-workout supps, but i dont want to take those at 6:00pm or 7:00pm and then not be able to sleep at 10:00.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
- 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM
I take my muscle marinade before my workout after a 12 hour day and after a good workout I'm pretty ready for bed about 3.5 to 4 hours later
- 06-01-2010, 12:48 AM
- 5'10" 170 lbs.
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
- Rep Power
- Lv. Percent
up your cals big time, Honestly id eat anything fast food included. lift hard and heavy and quick in and out stick to big movements.
06-02-2010, 09:55 AM
- 5'10" 0 lbs.
- Join Date
- Dec 2009
- Rep Power
- Lv. Percent
food will make a big difference...i usually dont suggest pre workout supplements but in your case its a bit different. black cats by app nut work well. its in caps so u dont have to mix anything up and drink it/worry about taste. if u can get your hands on the original NO shotgun, IMO its the best PW that i have ever taken. since they added in protein and more stuff it hasnt been the same.
Iron Forged Nutrition Rep
use code "R1balla" to receive a discount
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
- 5'9" 207 lbs.
- Join Date
- Apr 2010
- Rep Power
- Lv. Percent
Man I know how you feel. I was in the same situation. Diet + Creatine + pre workout supps. Hardest part is getting to the gym. Once you're there it feels normal and you won't feel tired... I've heard Jack3d is good but never tried it.
06-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I will chime in here with my opinions on your situation. I agree with some statements made in prior posts:
- Food will make a big difference
- Pre workout that late probably isn’t a great idea
Funny that so many people on this site would love to have your physical potential as you are in the perfect period in your life to make serious gains. Your age, natural levels testosterone and growth hormone are high so even a so so plan will give you incredible results.
I have trained college level athletes (basketball & track) and found in my experience that they respond better to earlier the workout if they are disciplined.
I would make an attempt to get to the gym at 5:30 a couple times to see if that works. I used to be a late afternoon/night lifter. After changing to first thing in the morning I will not switch back. Perfect way to start the day and jump start allot of things in the body. Also, where do you want your best to go, to your workout out or to your job? I am guessing your construction work isn’t necessarily performance based so the workout is the obvious choice.
The benefits of morning workouts:
- Test is are high at this time….perfect time for growth
- A morning workout will enable you to have a pre workout drink with stimulant or stand alone stimulant, giving you energy to drive through your workouts and depending on the supplement you choose, help you with your construction job as well!
- A workout in the morning simply gets it out of the way. Freeing you up to enjoy or relax during the nights as this is what your body wants to do.
- A workout done in the morning is a guarantee that workouts are always first priority. No matter what happens for the rest of the day, whether it be alien attack or a giant meteor heading towards earth, you know you at least got a great workout in
- Speaking from experience, a morning workout will in most cases result in a more productive day as it forces structure and will help you maintain a daily routine
- A perfect time for high quality/high quantity nutrients is peri-workout as I am sure you know. Morning workouts will allow for you to get all the nutrients you need without interfering with the natural rhythms of the body at night. Growth hormone and melatonin are crucial for growth and recovery and can be seriously compromised my late night heavy feedings…especially spikes in insulin.
- Most gyms only have serious members in the mornings. This, depending on your particular gym, can:
- Leave out unnecessary distractions – women, crowds, attention seekers…anyone who is there for the wrong reason. Few people wake up at 5 to waste time!
- Give you more freedom in your workouts to move around, try new things and give your workout instead of reacting to others in the gym having to waste time each workout waiting
- Provide the environment for two a days or a chance to really specialize or isolate certain muscle groups, movements or drills
Benefits of lifting at night:
You have eaten all day which means you may have more stored glycogen to help power through your workout…that’s if you aren’t too exhausted to workout
You can possibly replace your pre workout supps with food based on how your schedule work
That’s all I got…others can chime in.
You can see I am biased to morning workouts.
- You can probably get away with eating junk food because of your age and but I can never support consuming junk foods. Your body is a sports car and you don’t want to put cheap gas in the tank because it won’t run well.
- Anyone who tells you anything is merely suggesting as there is no absolute answer. It’s really about finding out what works best for you.
- As I see construction works burns a whopping 350-400 calories per hour, meaning nutrition and supplementation are crucial. Focus on high quality and in your case high frequency in regards to food to promote a positive nitrogen balance, preventing over training, keep cortisol under wraps and keep you body constantly building instead of trying to keep up
- Stay away from the following forms of carbs as they can’t restore your glycogen and in most cases aren’t needed (peri workout). Focus on the staples the naturally brown foods and health carbs. I always prefer real foods but not sure of your exact schedule. Around the workout stay away from:
- o Fructose – fruit sugar – low glycemic – not used to restore glycogen like other carb sources
- o Sucrose – half glucose/fructose – half of this sugar can’t really help you. Leave it on the table and in the little packets at Denny’s
- o High Fructose Corn Syrup/Corn Srup – junk period
- o Lactose – half galactose/glucose – only half of which can help you out when working out. Not to mention most pasteurized milk is junk anyway and can cause inflammation (I apologize if that was too technical)
- Focus on getting a good night’s sleep every night. This is so critical to muscle growth, repair, growth hormone, cortisol and a slew of other things. No matter when you decide to workout make proper sleep a priority and never sacrifice it for any reason
- Highly recommend a nutrient partioner such as pslin or anabolic pump. This will allow for a high amount of nutrients, that you need based on your daily activity, to be stored and used properly. This will power you through your workouts, aid in recovery which is crucial for you being a performance athlete.
I hope this helps and if you do choose to work out at night there are plenty of non-stim supplements that can aid in night workouts without keeping you up. Premax is a good choice by Primordial Performance if you have deeper pockets. Muscle Marinade is good as well that is effective without heavy stimulants. In your situation I don’t see the need for stimulants, stick with proper nutrition, workouts and plenty of rest.
I am not certain of what kind of caffeine tolerance you have so that is something to consider as well. If you can handle large amounts of caffeine then a pre workout late night might fly.
Something like Anabolic Pump is a nice non stimulant supp you can use to help you at nights. Using carbs as the fuel this will help you power through at night as well. PSlin could be used earlier in the day an hour or two before an evening workout. This would be a high carb meal 60-100grams (usually on the higher end), which would give you plenty of energy without a stimulant or pricey pre workout supp.
Finally, whenever you embark on a change or a workout with a serious goal it’s always a great idea to make sure you have cortisol under check. Some supplements that you may or may not be taken that I highly recommend:
- Vitamins AC&E of course
- High quality omega 4’s…
- Relora…many others as well
I gave you allot of info there but hope it helps and good luck in your training and upcoming season.
“All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think is what we become."
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
OROTINE: The World’s Best Creatine!
For just a moment use your imagination. Create a picture of a legal and safe nutritional supplement that was so potent and so effective that it would allow you to surpass barriers in building strength, increasing stamina and lean body mass. It would be void of negative side effects and it would produce real results you could see and feel.
With the perfected infusion of knowledge and a little imagination, that vision is now the reality. MAN Sports proudly introduces you to The KING of CREATINES™ - OROTINETM - a combination of two revolutionary performance and physique enhancing compounds in one - creatine orotate (creatine bound to orotic acid). As a result this form of creatine produces more dramatic increases in power, stamina and lean body mass than any form of creatine, in fact no form of creatine compares to OROTINETM and we mean none! Don’t be fooled by the hype of so called soluble and ultra bioavailable forms of creatine. No single creatine compound on the market comes close to producing the dramatic effects of OROTINETM. OROTINETM is The World’s Best Creatine! As a matter of fact MAN Sports creatine orotate is so effective at enhancing and replenishing energy it has even been used in studies to help with improving the condition, procurement and preservation of beating and non beating hearts for transplantation.
OROTINE KEY PROPERTIES
Contains 2 scientifically proven performance enhancing ingredients in one compound; Creatine and Orotic Acid
The only form of creatine that increases - Beta-Alanine production – That means far more power and endurance than other forms of creatine
Boosts muscle phosphocreatine and creatine levels more effectively than creatine alone
Increases protein synthesis and lean body mass
Supports glucose uptake and glycogen storage – leading to fuller and hard muscles
No stomach discomfort or BLOAT
Ideal for sprinters, fighters, bodybuilder and athletes of all walks of life
Stacks well with BBLUEPRINT, PRIMAL MALE, BODYOCTANE and other MAN Sports products
Creatine has been scientifically proven effective in maintaining ATP (the fuel that powers your muscles) levels and increasing recovery during and following high intensity exercise. It is also a proven cell-volumizer. What is unknown to many of creatine is that it functions similar in fashion to carnosine in that it helps with the maintenance of cellular pH. Maintaining proper cell pH enhances performance! More evidence suggests creatine can reduce muscle damage from endurance exercise making it a great supplement for endurance and power athletes alike.
Orotic Acid (OA) is a precursor of pyrimidine and nucleic acids which are vital for optimal cell functioning and energy metabolism. OA enhances and maintains ATP pools in three ways:
1. The production of ribose moieties (R-1-P and R-5-P) for the salvage or de novo synthesis of purine nucleotides by a process know as "ribose transfer". Many of you may remember ribose (a sugar component of ATP) supplementation being touted as an enhancer of high intensity repetitive exercise performance. The way OA enhances the formation of ATP is by providing the direct precursor to phosphoribosylpyrophosphate (PRPP) a key energy-supplying compound in the de-novo synthesis of purine and pyrimidine nucleotides (I know that's a real mouthful). The reserve of PRPP is poor because of the low capacity of the pentose phosphate pathway. Therefore the generation of ribose-5-phosphate (R-5-P) the immediate precursor to PRPP ribose supply can be enhanced with OA and as a result greater ATP regeneration.
2. The second pathway is by increasing the pool of Uridine Monophosphate (UMP), which requires ATP to convert to further downstream pyrimidine nucleotides (UTP & CTP). By increasing the levels of these nucleotides the draw on ATP reserves to synthesize them is decreased thereby enhancing the availability of ATP for other metabolic process such as energy and contractile producing pathways
3. The final pathway is by means of elevation of intracellular glycogen stores. These elevated glycogen stores generated from a greater uptake of glucose lead to an enhanced capacity for ATP resynthesis from anaerobic glycolysis.
What this means is more energy for hard working muscles. Evidence also suggests OA can be used to synthesize carnosine (the ultimate buffering nutrient) by elevating its natural precursor “beta-alanine”. This is illustrated in the chart below:
More recent studies have shown OA supplementation enhances endurance performance and exercise capacity. OA also has been shown to augment muscle hypertrophy and to increase the contractile capacity of muscle.
As you can clearly see this Creatine/Orotic Acid complex truly is The KING of CREATINES! TM and pushes the power to fight muscle fatigue to completely new levels. Not only do you get the scientifically proven power, endurance and recovery of creatine supplementation, but you also get the high energy, power, recovery and growth stimulating properties of Orotic Acid. Make OROTINETM your creatine supplementation choice today!
Take 2 servings daily, with or without food seperated by at least a 4-5 hour period. Orotine™ can be mixed with water, juice or your favorite sports beverage. Orotine™ can also be combined with Bodyoctane™ for enhanced athletic performance.
Orotine™ is a result-driven™ product and trademark of M.A.N. Sports Products Inc. CreaTate (Tri-Creatine Orotate) is protected by US Patent No.: 6,838,562 B2
Keep out of reach of children. Always consult your healthcare professional before use especially if: you are taking any prescription drugs, beginning any new diet and exercise program, or you have any health concerns or pre-existing conditions. Do not use this product if you are at risk for heart disease, high blood pressure, heart, kidney, thyroid, psychiatric disease, difficulty urinating, prostate enlargement, anxiety, depression, seizure disorder or stroke. Do not take if you are pregnant or nursing. Product efficacy depends on proper diet and exercise.
Similar Forum Threads
- By boricuarage in forum Nutrition / HealthReplies: 7Last Post: 09-29-2010, 05:41 PM
- By MadJimF in forum Male Anti-Aging MedicineReplies: 8Last Post: 09-14-2010, 07:00 AM
- By ah0907 in forum SupplementsReplies: 23Last Post: 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
- By Giantz11 in forum General ChatReplies: 26Last Post: 04-05-2007, 02:13 PM
- By tek in forum AnabolicsReplies: 2Last Post: 07-12-2005, 04:50 PM