Vibram Fivefingers

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Not a lot about these around these parts :p

Vibram FiveFingers: KSO - Male

I am just wondering if anyone has a pair of any style of these...

It is obviously not a bad shoe for lifting, but I am curious about it's running properties...it would be awesome if I could find a shoe that is great for running and lifting, because I hate having a lot of shoes. I'm also fairly certain that lifting in my running shoes is wreaking havoc on my larger joints while squatting and deadlifting..

Anyone able to chime in?

colange2

Awards
I am actually a sprinter, but I only use them when lifting (which they are great for btw). The only way I would try to run in them is if it's at a pretty low intensity and on a soft surface like grass or else your feet will probably hurt pretty bad. But I have actually never went out for a good old distance run in them so it can't hurt to give it a try if you really want to.

kmcart

Awards
Once you get your feet and legs accustomed to the "barefoot" style of running I've heard they're great for running I'd love to hear others experiences with them as I would love to get some.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
**** it, I'll buy some when I am home on leave if they have them at REI and post up a little review

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I know people who have them, i have too much man-pride to wear them lol.

I usually lift in my combat boots *shrug*

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Once you get your feet and legs accustomed to the "barefoot" style of running I've heard they're great for running I'd love to hear others experiences with them as I would love to get some.
Thats what I have heard as well

**** it, I'll buy some when I am home on leave if they have them at REI and post up a little review
Looking forward to it.

Thats my problem.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I was hoping to get a pair this summer from outdoors events. Going into the woods, running, hitting up the caves around here.

If they are as durable as they say they are....it will sure as heck beat out boots. As long as you know how not to snap your ankle in the woods ^.^ Then again I am known for being a little "inhuman" when it comes to my physical abilities.

CyberGlitch

Awards
I have 2 pairs. I bought some KSOs last year. The were recommended to me b/c I was having so many problems while running, I could barely do 1 mile. I got these and slowly built up my miles. Since making the switch I've had no problems and absolutely love them. So much so now that it's spring I went out last month and got a pair of the classics. I use the classics as my casual shoes now for everything but work.

I've ran 10 miles with them. Planning a half marathon next month and a full marathon in November. All of them with my KSOs.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established

I usually lift in my combat boots *shrug*
I wasn't aware it was a hit to my man-pride to use some o_O

crap, now I have a conundrum!

But then again I do wear the army short shorts every day, exposing a generous amount of thigh...and when I do situps a generous amount of ass, since I roll commando in them..

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I was hoping to get a pair this summer from outdoors events. Going into the woods, running, hitting up the caves around here.

If they are as durable as they say they are....it will sure as heck beat out boots. As long as you know how not to snap your ankle in the woods ^.^ Then again I am known for being a little "inhuman" when it comes to my physical abilities.
I do have goat ankles, should have broke them so many times lol

I have 2 pairs. I bought some KSOs last year. The were recommended to me b/c I was having so many problems while running, I could barely do 1 mile. I got these and slowly built up my miles. Since making the switch I've had no problems and absolutely love them. So much so now that it's spring I went out last month and got a pair of the classics. I use the classics as my casual shoes now for everything but work.

I've ran 10 miles with them. Planning a half marathon next month and a full marathon in November. All of them with my KSOs.
Souinds very promising, I'm def going to buy a pair for running, because if someone makes a comment about them while I am running my ego will crush theirs when I say "I just finished 8 miles biatch"

I go to the gym here in PTs though because my Small-reg pants will probably rip if I squat in them lol...running out of space in the inseam area because of the thunder thighs o_O

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have a pair of KSO's and they are great for lifting....

futbolista

futbolista

Awards
I know a lot of people who swear by them for lifting.

As far as running, make sure you start off slow. Don't try to do 10 miles the first time you try them out. Your body is used to running in shoes and most people get really sore, especially in their calves. I've been hearing different runners/doctor's who consider them a good tool to have in your arsenal, but maybe not ideal for ALL of your running.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
You know, steel toed boots have saved my toes while lifting not gonna lie!

crowpass

crowpass

Awards
  • Established
I too have kso, they are great for lifting and running.. kso treks are the ****, they have a metal shield on the bottom of your foot along with a treaded sole. . great for trail running.. get you some, they are pricey but your calves will be burning after every run

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I've had a pair of KSO's for about 2 months. I wear them to work quite often (I wear scrubs to work) and also when I'm out and about. I also live in the city and have been walking (1.3mi each way) to work in them. probably wear them 50% of the time that I'm wearing shoes. I weigh about 225lbs. By the end of the day at work my feet are pretty sore. I've only recently started running after years of not running. I've always had issues with my right knee when I ran in any running shoe, but when I run in these my I have no issues with my knee whatsoever. The farthest I've run without stopping on the treadmill is 1.60 miles so far, and after every time I run in them I have soreness in my feet/ankles (but seemingly "normal" soreness). Yesterday morning I ran with them for the first time on the sidewalk. Yesterday afternoon and now I'm dealing with severe pain/swelling in my left ankle. I probably overdid it, as I ran/walked over 3 miles over the course of an hour. I tried to run in the grass for as much of it as possible, but much of it was on the sidewalk or road. So hopefully I didn't injure myself too bad, and when it gets better I will strictly stick to the treadmill/grass and ease into longer distances.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I've had a pair of KSO's for about 2 months. I wear them to work quite often (I wear scrubs to work) and also when I'm out and about. I also live in the city and have been walking (1.3mi each way) to work in them. probably wear them 50% of the time that I'm wearing shoes. I weigh about 225lbs. By the end of the day at work my feet are pretty sore. I've only recently started running after years of not running. I've always had issues with my right knee when I ran in any running shoe, but when I run in these my I have no issues with my knee whatsoever. The farthest I've run without stopping on the treadmill is 1.60 miles so far, and after every time I run in them I have soreness in my feet/ankles (but seemingly "normal" soreness). Yesterday morning I ran with them for the first time on the sidewalk. Yesterday afternoon and now I'm dealing with severe pain/swelling in my left ankle. I probably overdid it, as I ran/walked over 3 miles over the course of an hour. I tried to run in the grass for as much of it as possible, but much of it was on the sidewalk or road. So hopefully I didn't injure myself too bad, and when it gets better I will strictly stick to the treadmill/grass and ease into longer distances.
Your running on the balls of your feet right?

I am going to have to buy mine online...which I really don't want to do because my feet are two different sizes....**** I might just buy some chuckie ts and find a store that has the vibrams when I get home o_O

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Your running on the balls of your feet right?
Yup balls of feet or higher towards my toes, careful not to heel strike. I think I'm gonna pick up a pair of the Treks or the new TrekSports. I would think they might be better suited for heavier people like myself.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I hope they still have the trek sports in stores when I get back in dec, I just missed them arriving when I was on leave :(

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
I hope they still have the trek sports in stores when I get back in dec, I just missed them arriving when I was on leave :(
They will be mine...oh yes...they will be mine! It's a toss up between those and the Trek's for me, but the TrekSport's sure do look a lot nicer. I'll have to try em both on. Fotlrtunately there's a City Sports store about 6 blocks from my work that has both of em.

rawfeels

Awards
if you dont want to deal with the styling of the shoes there are other really lightweight shoes that are similar to running barefoot.

you can try the Nike Free 3.0, those are what i have. they look like normal running shoes ubt the bottoms are created such that your feet bend naturally. and theres almost no padding on the bottoms (compared to a regular running shoe anyway). The only downside is that for whatever reason they make my feet smell. non of my shoes do this. i dont know why these ones do.

some people run marathons in these shoes so no worries about long distances or sprinting or anything. you will have to get used to it though. when you first put them on, they might feel rough, but your feet probably havent used those muscles before. i bought them to help with my shin splints and theyve helped a lot.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Ive never seen the frees in stores, and I like the vibrams for lifting also. Dont care about styling, as my ex wife would tell you :D 99% of the time I wear a blank white t shirt and jeans haha

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've had a pair of KSO's for over a year now, and the treks for about 6 months. I've done several 18 mi runs in the KSO's over varying terrian.

I'm also a sprinter, far more than an endurance athlete, and I've found sprinting on the track in vibrams hurts, but sprinting on the infield is great.

I also own a pair of the frees, and while they are comfortable and I use them for my track work, they are nothing like the vibrams.

The problem with typical running shoes is multifaceted. First, the cushion actually causes an increase in impact force. Second, because we did not evolve (or were designed) to run heel to toe, the cushion allows one to increase stride and land on the heel infront of the hips. This also increases impact, and this increase in force is transfered up the legs and into the back. Finally, when running barefoot there is a natural pronation to the foot. The foot lands midfoot, to the little toes and "rolls" toward the big toe. Only when one lands on the heel does one over pronate. Exactly what running in cushioned shoes would allow you to do, except that there is so much support, that neural sensory changes that would normally occur, do not. Thus, there is an over compensation by other areas. Is it any wonder that since the introduction of the running sneaker in the 70's, there has actually been an increase in achiles, knee, and plantar fasciatis injuries?

Be an animal, run barefoot.

Br

kmcart

Awards
I've had a pair of KSO's for over a year now, and the treks for about 6 months. I've done several 18 mi runs in the KSO's over varying terrian.

I'm also a sprinter, far more than an endurance athlete, and I've found sprinting on the track in vibrams hurts, but sprinting on the infield is great.

I also own a pair of the frees, and while they are comfortable and I use them for my track work, they are nothing like the vibrams.

The problem with typical running shoes is multifaceted. First, the cushion actually causes an increase in impact force. Second, because we did not evolve (or were designed) to run heel to toe, the cushion allows one to increase stride and land on the heel infront of the hips. This also increases impact, and this increase in force is transfered up the legs and into the back. Finally, when running barefoot there is a natural pronation to the foot. The foot lands midfoot, to the little toes and "rolls" toward the big toe. Only when one lands on the heel does one over pronate. Exactly what running in cushioned shoes would allow you to do, except that there is so much support, that neural sensory changes that would normally occur, do not. Thus, there is an over compensation by other areas. Is it any wonder that since the introduction of the running sneaker in the 70's, there has actually been an increase in achiles, knee, and plantar fasciatis injuries?

Be an animal, run barefoot.

Br
Good post

mmacrazy

mmacrazy

Awards
  • Established
Bringing it back from the dead.
I have Nike free right now and love them ! Going to get me the vibram bikila this weekend I hope. Really looking forward to joining the barefoot revolution fully. They do look a little goofy and living in redneck America I am sure to receive never ending amount of crap for wearing them but who cares. The more I read about the vibrams the more I know I must get a pair ! Cant wait for the weekend.
I wonder if I can wear these grappling ? Of course if I do they will be purely for that as to not spread lord knows what infections into the school.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Bringing it back from the dead.
I have Nike free right now and love them ! Going to get me the vibram bikila this weekend I hope. Really looking forward to joining the barefoot revolution fully. They do look a little goofy and living in redneck America I am sure to receive never ending amount of crap for wearing them but who cares. The more I read about the vibrams the more I know I must get a pair ! Cant wait for the weekend.
I wonder if I can wear these grappling ? Of course if I do they will be purely for that as to not spread lord knows what infections into the school.
They're all machine washable I believe, except maybe the Trek's which are Kangaroo leather uppers...

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm going to be picking up a pair of KSO's or the Bikila's (depending on the fit). I bought a 50$ off coupon for $25 on groupon for a local running store. That coupled with the stores military discount should bring them down to a nice price =)

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Holy crap ! I should check groupon ! Good call
Yeah, I've got a list of those kinds of sights I check daily. Almost ritual.
Slickdeals.net is another one I scour for deals on all sorts of things.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
WILLIAM SHATNER'S WEIRD OR WHAT?
SAILING STONES, BROWN MOUNTAIN LIGHTS, SUPER HUMAN RUNNER
Season 01, Episode 05,

on http://www.history.ca

I like the barefoot method myself. I remember as a kid being able to flat out run incredible distances and I always came first in track. Maybe it was because i was a rural raised kid who ran around in BD all the time lol?

mmacrazy

mmacrazy

Awards
  • Established
Just bought these yesterday. Got the kso for the easy fit. These are amazing ! Went for a quick jog yesterday and they felt really awesome. Can't wait till it's not snowing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bezoe Training Forum 16
General Chat 33