BICEP HELP PLEASE, I GIVE UP!!!!

svt cobra

I'm 44 and an experienced lifter. I usually hit the gym five days a week, and dedicate a single day per body part (12 sets avg.). For my age, I have been told that I'm in excellent shape.

Here is my problem; I feel that my biceps are lagging behind, and for what ever reason, no matter what I try, I can never get that rock hard, pumped, and thrashed feeling in a bicep workout. My biceps are NEVER sore the next day like my Tri's, back,chest, legs, etc.

Can somebody that was a hard bicep gainer provide me with some tips or advice? Thanks in advance...............

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
I used to have a similar issue with my arms.........

I have to freakin kill my biceps to get them sore and for them to grow. I also actually started training them 3 days a week. They have reacted well over the past year.

This type of workout works for me (I realize that it will not work for everybody but it works for me)

4 sets of barbell curls or curl bar:
4 sets of cable curls:
3 sets of db curls:

On the above sets, the first and second set I start with something heavy that I can do like 6 reps and then the last two I do something that I can do like 10 or 12 reps.
then I walk down the rack doing hammer curls until i get to 15s and cannot do another rep.

My biceps started getting sore and they started to grow whenever I switched to this type of workout.

svt cobra

Great. I was worried about over training them like most people seem to be, but maybe it's really the opposite problem like you pointed out. Maybe multiple days a week is needed. Thanks bro!

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Well biceps are used in alot of other lifts..maybe ur not giving them a break

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Well biceps are used in alot of other lifts..maybe ur not giving them a break

Yes, I agree but for me personally, my biceps will not grow without a lot of work...........I used to do less direct bicep work and my buddy's arms grew and mine did not, it used to drive me crazy!! But when I started doing workouts similar to the one above and more times a week, my arms grew.

I think it just varies.....my chest grows easily and can get overtrained very easily but my biceps seem to need the extra work.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I run push/pull/legs split and on my pulling days I do all back workouts (which also work out biceps) then I finish pull days with bicep isolation exercises. This way I pump the bi's during back workouts and finish them off in isolation exercises at the end. It gets the job done for me. I'm happy with my bi's.

deadlift18

Awards
had the same problem. I switched from back/bi's, chest/tris, shoulders and calves, legs to chest and some tris, back and calves and some bi's, arms, shoulders, legs. I threw in a lot of drop sets, 21's and super sets and my biceps started gradually growing.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i do them 3x a week and now they are growing so fast. just remember to take a day off from biceps in between those days

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
21s, concentration curls.... Standing zottman curls with dbs are insane... Do em really slow and you'll feel real tight at the end of your workout

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
also when doing any curls while standing, i lean against the wall or the incline bench to prevent swaying. 21s are great

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
also when doing any curls while standing, i lean against the wall or the incline bench to prevent swaying. 21s are great
YES! I lean against the wall so that I can't use ANY momentum and it pulls all of the focus on my bicep..

One thing, on your dumbbell curls, rotate your wrists out to put more emphasis on your bicep. Builds a fuller rounder bicep imo

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
I am NEVER, EVER sore from doing things like curls for biceps. Instead try doing as much weight as you can on compound exercises without grips. You're workout might look like:

Weighted pullups 2x6-8
Cable Pulldowns 2X6-8
Lat Pulldown machine 2X6-8 with a static hold for as long as you can at the end of both
Then finish with a set of 21's

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
Start doing heavy/eccentric chinups on your usual 'bicep' day, and I bet your problems with bicep deveopment will be over.

Back & Bi workouts where made in heaven XD

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
I am NEVER, EVER sore from doing things like curls for biceps. Instead try doing as much weight as you can on compound exercises without grips. You're workout might look like:

Weighted pullups 2x6-8
Cable Pulldowns 2X6-8
Lat Pulldown machine 2X6-8 with a static hold for as long as you can at the end of both
Then finish with a set of 21's
I do a similar workout then do a total of 6 sets 3 with straight bar and 3 with ezcurl and then do 21s or go down the rack to failure with dbs.

I also start heavy on the curls....like 6 reps and drop down. Love negatives also

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Who cares if they get sore or not as long as they are growing. But if they are not getting sore and not growing thats a problem. Devote a whole day to biceps. Start with some super heavy barbell curls, then just keep doing other random curl excersises. Kill em once a week that way for like 10 weeks, so thats 10 workouts. If you dont think thats working hit me back up.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
dude no offense but at "our" age less may be better. i wo 3 days and bis get about 3 working sets directly and they arent lagging in the least bit and they never get sore. when i lowered volume a couple years back i started making gains again. its not easy at our age. play with the volume to see what works for you

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
dude no offense but at "our" age less may be better. i wo 3 days and bis get about 3 working sets directly and they arent lagging in the least bit and they never get sore. when i lowered volume a couple years back i started making gains again. its not easy at our age. play with the volume to see what works for you
^^I agree^^ I am 38 and my bi's were lagging waaaay behind until I lowered the volume and made sure to only work them once a week(on back day) keeping it real heavy and combining it with chins/rows/pull downs etc + a whole week to recover produced great results for me, problem now is they responded so well i have find a way to bring my tris up now:lol:

viralencore84

Awards
Make sure you are adding weight little by little on each bicep day. OFcourse eat lots of protein. Those two things go a long way. IF you add weight to it by small amounts, then their is no need to trick them into growing.

Chico222

Awards
I'm 44 and an experienced lifter. I usually hit the gym five days a week, and dedicate a single day per body part (12 sets avg.). For my age, I have been told that I'm in excellent shape.

Here is my problem; I feel that my biceps are lagging behind, and for what ever reason, no matter what I try, I can never get that rock hard, pumped, and thrashed feeling in a bicep workout. My biceps are NEVER sore the next day like my Tri's, back,chest, legs, etc.

Can somebody that was a hard bicep gainer provide me with some tips or advice? Thanks in advance...............
Bro,

I have pretty nice biceps, at least that's what I been told. Let me tell you, I hardly ever work 'em out!! I use other exercises to work biceps (bent-over rows etc). Those exercises frye my biceps, so I'll only do direct bicep work every two weeks. This gives them a enough time to recouperate, and seems to work for me.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
cable curls down the rack for your last exercise. I normaly use a curl bar and do three sets. start round 120 till i max out then 100 then 80 then 60 with no break and stop whenyou get to round 40. Next set start at 100 and stop at 20. next start at 70 stop at ten. feel the PUMP my friend