Developing a new routine for baseball player.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Hey folks im trying to help form a structured routine for my younger brother and I he is going to be a freshman in college next year pitching at the D2 Level, im looking to develop a routine that will both aid in strength but more importantly strength in the legs, core, back, and shoulders im looking to possibly do this routine to to increase athletisicm but its mainly for him. I was considering a few things i was planning on it being about a 2 month program and about 5-6 days a week but that includes cardio. I also am want to incorprate a sort of circuit or test once a week, you know like the 300 workout that went around for a while where you try to do a certain amount of exercises and reps in a certain time and try to beat it each week. Ya something like that for that i found something on a baseball site for a circuit that i'll post below (Workout 1-A) and then for the rest of the week i was thinking about a push pull workout so it would be maybe something like this

Monday- Push
Tuesday-Cardio/Abs
Wednesday- Pull
Thursday- Cardio/Abs
Friday- Circuit day
Saturday- Balance drills
Sunday- P90X Yoga or P90X Xstretch or whatever its called

It would also incorparte a warmup off 3-5 minutes of Jump Rope Rotator cuff drills and 5 minutes of stretching before and after.

Now i found a couple of circuits online that may be good or not, not too sure.

Bodyweight Squats - 24 reps
Bodyweight Lunges- 24 reps (12 per leg)
Split jumps aka jumping lunges- 24 reps (12 per leg)
Jump Squats- 12 reps
Squat Thrust and Jump aka Burpees- 20 reps

Hands on Swiss ball pushups- 12 reps
Dumbbell Exercises, one after the other
Shoulder Press- 10 reps
Y Press- 10 reps
Rotational Shoulder Press- 10 reps
Curls- 10 reps
Lateral Raises- 10 reps
Reaching lunges (lunge + reach in front of lead foot with DB's in each hand)- 5 reps per side
Side Lunges (again, bring DB's to lead foot and back to starting position)- 5 reps per side
Rotational Lunges (Open Hip and step back, bring DB's to back foot)- 5 reps per side
Reaching Lunges+Shoulder Press- 6 reps total
Side Lunges + Shoulder Press- 6 reps total
Rotational Lunges + Shoulder Press- 6 reps total

Knee Tucks on Swiss Ball- 20 reps
"Skiers" on the Swiss ball- 20 reps
Russian Twists with Medicine Ball- 20 reps

Crossover Pushups on Medicine Ball- 10 reps (5 per side)
One arm pushoffs (One hand on the med ball, other on the ground. Perform the pushup and explode through the movement, lifting the grounded hand about 6 inches off the ground)- 10 reps
Closegrip Pushups (both hands on the medicine ball)- 15 reps
Depth Jump Pushups (both hands on the ground, explode up and land with both on the med ball)- 5 reps

Thats one of them tell me what you think and what i could add or take away.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Where's the olympic lifts? He needs to be coached in how to do them correctly but they are second to none in developing athleticism.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Push and pull days have movements like DB Press Squats, Deadlifts but in the end its not focused on gaining mass in areas like chest and bi's tri's as those can hinder throwing abilities. Mainly i guess what id like him to do is something to better athletisicm/strength and then i'll work in the balance drills, rotator cuff work, yoga myself because despite fundamental bodybuilding workouts these help tremendously for a pitcher.

And i think there was some confusion i had a push/pull days then the circuit three different lifting days a week, he already has the general understanding of olypimic lifts as ive coachec him lifting the past year orginally i had him oriented towards mass and size since he was lanky but after reading up on some articles its not beneficial to have size but balance,explosivness, and overall musclualar endurance.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Olympic lifts will not develop mass. They are usually done for 1-3 reps and there is no negative aspect of them. I'm really not meshing with what you're saying. You seem to be just putting together a bunch of stuff that you think is good but it doesn't follow any cycles of strength, speed, volume, as far as I can tell. Just because you put a bunch of things together and make him tired doesn't mean its an optimal program.

holmes215

holmes215

Awards
  • Established
haha I gave up on lifting for baseball specificly, I just do push pull legs 10 reps as heavy as I can

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Add in some core shoulder work.

Adduction, Abduction, Extension, Flexion, Internal and external rotation, rear delt work, with a low resistance thera-band or cable pulley.

In general, adduction (toward the body) is higher than abduction torque (2:1), internal rotation is higher than external rotation torque (3:2), and extension is higher than flexion torque (5:4). Overall, according to Halder et al., "Adduction strength is highest, followed by extension, flexion, abduction, internal rotation, and external rotation." (8) If you want to promote balance around the shoulder joint, consider the above-mentioned ratios. Remember, you're only as strong as your weakest link!

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Olympic lifts will not develop mass. They are usually done for 1-3 reps and there is no negative aspect of them. I'm really not meshing with what you're saying. You seem to be just putting together a bunch of stuff that you think is good but it doesn't follow any cycles of strength, speed, volume, as far as I can tell. Just because you put a bunch of things together and make him tired doesn't mean its an optimal program.
I understand the importance of olympic lifts and part of the reason i posed this question was for assitance, you say im throwing stuff togethor that may have no purpose to anything specifically well your right thats why i came here i didnt come here to say i have this great workout plan and then leave i wanted advice in i mentioned a couple times from what i remember unless im losing it, i want him to gain athletisicm/strength i think i mentioned that a good enough times, i wanted all of your guys advice on devloping a program specifically for athletisim/strength and i would add in the core/balance/shoulder drills as needed. So im sorry if this isnt an optimal program but i never said it was i was seeking advice.

As far as itshetic, i have him on some good shoulder workouts with light weight and tubing, so thank you for that little blurb it helped out.

and holmes it certaintly looks like it hards to actually target muscles for baseball, i may end up just putting him on one of my old cutting routines and work in the needed drills.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry if I sounded rude, wasn't intended that way. Do you have any kind of assessments for him? Has he undergone the FMS or the Assess and Correct program? Before you develop a plan for an athlete, you need to know what his strengths and weaknesses are. If not, you should get him through either resource. Also, check out http://www.shoulderperformance.com/ its a must have if you're working with overhead athletes like pitchers.

Is this his offseason or in season?