Shoes and weight training...

  1. Professional Member
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,253
    Rep Power
    3299
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    17.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Shoes and weight training...


    Do you think that running type shoes have a negative effect on your body's posture when it comes to compound exercises like the squat and deadlift? Theoretically, running and training shoes are made to keep weight off a certain part of your foot and evenly distribute pressure. So with deadlifts for example, is it bad for someone to wear a training shoe, knowing that one should keep most of their weight towards the heel?? I dont notice much difference when I wear different shoes, but often hear that flat shoes are best.
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:

  2. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,253
    Rep Power
    719847
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.31%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    They do in a couple ways. One is that majority of running shoes have a higher heel and cause you to lean forward too much. Another issue is the power transfer ratio. When performing lifts like squats for example when you are at the bottom you reach a point where you should come to a complete stop and explode back up in a dynamic movement. When using flat/hard shoes or barefoot etc you complete this transfer more effectively. With running shoes and their emphasis on soft cushioned heels when you have stopped physically (i.e. your muscles have hit the bottom) and are attempting to come back up dynamically you will still technically be sinking as the cushion continues to compress.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  3. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Get you some chucks mate.. I personally like vibram fivefingers for lifting..
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34858
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    91.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    They do in a couple ways. One is that majority of running shoes have a higher heel and cause you to lean forward too much. Another issue is the power transfer ratio. When performing lifts like squats for example when you are at the bottom you reach a point where you should come to a complete stop and explode back up in a dynamic movement. When using flat/hard shoes or barefoot etc you complete this transfer more effectively. With running shoes and their emphasis on soft cushioned heels when you have stopped physically (i.e. your muscles have hit the bottom) and are attempting to come back up dynamically you will still technically be sinking as the cushion continues to compress.
    What about shoes that have a reverse heel(heel goes down in the back)? I have Earth shoes and they advertise how their shoes are better for your feet because the heel of the shoe goes down in the back, rather than being raised.
  5. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,253
    Rep Power
    719847
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.31%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    Get you some chucks mate.. I personally like vibram fivefingers for lifting..
    Yeah, I use chuck tailors most the time otherwise if I am wearing running shoes I just slip them off real quick and back on when I'm done. I'm looking into getting a pair of five fingers for running.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  6. Professional Member
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,253
    Rep Power
    3299
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    17.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    OK, looks like some Chuck T's in my future... I had a bunch growing up, but not so much anymore. Thanks for the replies.
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  7. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,253
    Rep Power
    719847
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.31%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    OK, looks like some Chuck T's in my future... I had a bunch growing up, but not so much anymore. Thanks for the replies.
    Yeah chucks are the always reliable and cheap $$ way to go. If you want something to spend some $$ on then you can look into Rogue Do-Wins. They are pretty awesome oly lift shoes.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  8. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,253
    Rep Power
    719847
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.31%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    What about shoes that have a reverse heel(heel goes down in the back)? I have Earth shoes and they advertise how their shoes are better for your feet because the heel of the shoe goes down in the back, rather than being raised.
    Don't really know, haven't heard of those before. Are the heels still cushioned? and how drastic are the heels dropped lower? If they are hard soled they would be fine in that aspect. If the heel drop isn't too drastic then I suppose that would be fine as well. Other thing to pay attention to is how well you are able to maintain balance with various lifts and your shoes. i.e. running shoes for me push me too far forward when doing deads, i wonder if i were wearing dropped heel shoes when doing over head squats or squat cleans that I could be put off kilt backwards.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  9. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34858
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    91.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Don't really know, haven't heard of those before. Are the heels still cushioned? and how drastic are the heels dropped lower? If they are hard soled they would be fine in that aspect. If the heel drop isn't too drastic then I suppose that would be fine as well. Other thing to pay attention to is how well you are able to maintain balance with various lifts and your shoes. i.e. running shoes for me push me too far forward when doing deads, i wonder if i were wearing dropped heel shoes when doing over head squats or squat cleans that I could be put off kilt backwards.
    Here's the site.
    http://www.earthfootwear.com/
  10. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1092
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    86.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    slip ur shoes off. havent been to a gym when ur squatting and deadlifting.
  11. New Member
    Minnesota's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    183
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    94.36%

    definitely when your squatting, deadlifting or standing and pressing use flat bottom shoes.

    chucks or "skater shoes" that dont have any gel or air soles, i use ankle braces too.
  12. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,253
    Rep Power
    719847
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    46.31%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    slip ur shoes off. havent been to a gym when ur squatting and deadlifting.
    Yeah it's what I do when I don't go wearing my chucks. My running shoes slip on and of easliy so I can do it with only my feet while standing. To be honest no one ever even notices.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  13. New Member
    BigKen55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    27
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    73
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    94.43%

    i rock all black Chucky T's everywhere I go...even when i'm going out to the bar after some females
  14. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1092
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    86.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Yeah it's what I do when I don't go wearing my chucks. My running shoes slip on and of easliy so I can do it with only my feet while standing. To be honest no one ever even notices.
    espicially if ur at the power rack where squats and deads are done, most gym goers are alergic to that area lol
  15. Professional Member
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,253
    Rep Power
    3299
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    17.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Just ordered some Chucks off eastbay. Love that place man..
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  16. New Member
    futbolista's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  120 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    68
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    71.48%

    I usually wear Nike Frees for leg day since they're pretty flat and don't have much cushioning in the heels. I feel a huge difference from when I used to try to squat/deadlift in running shoes.
  17. New Member
    jakethesnake's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    63
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    4%

    I wear brooks and also sometimes use the nike lunar glides for when I run or do cardio. I use a set of normal nike training shoes while I lift. If I squat and deadlift, I do it in my socks. I think ottimax (sp?) made a good pair of lifting shoes a few years back.
  18. New Member
    teribleturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    149
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    34.49%

    Nike dunk hightops seem to work for me. They are flat, no air bubble and provide good ankle support and stability while doing squats. They are horrible for running though I cant imagine how they played basketball in those way back in the day
  19. New Member
    tigerbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    6697
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    25.89%

    wrestling shoes.
  20. New Member
    Jurassic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    21
    Posts
    144
    Rep Power
    129
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    53.88%

    I do Deads barefoot.
    Otherwise I use flat bottom shoes, like Vans or something.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Best Training Shoes??
    By rankbull in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
  2. Weight Lifting Shoes 101
    By kabuki in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 09:50 PM
  3. Squatting/Dead lift/ Weight lifting shoes
    By paulygon in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 09:08 AM
  4. Weight Lifting Shoes...
    By russy_russ in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in