Shoulder stiffness and soreness

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Recently, I've been getting soreness and a stiffness feeling in my right shoulder at the top of it. I am able to do all my workouts without too much trouble and I don't usually feel this soreness while I'm doing my exercises. The soreness usually comes the day after and sometimes the day before. It is only in my right shoulder.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
thanks. It funny I just started doing those last night, hopefully in a few days my shoulder will feel better.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
YEah, I try to do them at least once a night. I also perform them as a warm up before most body parts

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I still seem to have this problem, however less often now and it isn't as sore. I think it might be tendinitis. I developed tendinitis in my right bicep like 5 or 6 months ago. Every now and then my bicep will hurt, but not often. My shoulder is still sore but a lot less sore after I start lifting. It is usually sore on off days or before I lift. I can live with this discomfort, it isn't mind numbly painful, just an inconvenience. I just hope this doesn't prevent me from going heavy on my exercises, it hasn't so far so that's good and I progress on shrugs almost every week.

alih92

Awards
sounds like you're travelling down a similar path that I went down (****ing my knee up) you might wanna get an Xray/MRI and a doctor's OKAY before you lift again. I would hate to hear you **** up your shoulder only at 21 :(

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How do you start to do those dislocations? Oh yeah, dont mean to jack your thread.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
You start with a towel or rubber tubing or broom with as wide grip as you can go like holding on with just 1 or 2 fingers, and do like 20 reps, then work your way to 50 or 100 and then to a more narrow grip, but i wouldnt aim at going too narrow as you can develop lax shoulder joints.

They stretch the pec minor muscle, I prefere to stretch it on a doorframe though as I think my shoulders are on the lax side already, and the shoulder dislocations stretched my right more than my left.

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/PectoralisMinor/Towel.html

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/PectoralisMinor/Doorway.html

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
**** I was hoping I didn't have to se him my doctor is sort of an ass.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'm guessing this isn't too good. I woke up today and my shoulder was sore. I heard some kind of crack noise(like when you crack your knuckles) when I moved my arm back.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
This pain is in the front of the shoulder.

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ive had tendonitis in my shoulders since about a year into my weightlifting. dont stress it. if you go to the doc, he is just gonna senf you to physio, if you go there, they are just going to stretch it... ive spent about5-10 minutes stretching my shoulders pre-workout for years and keeping them stretched between sets and i rarely get problems anymore. stretching is the most important thing you can do here... if you weightlift eventually your shoulders are gonna get hurt, its the most susceptible joint.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
ive had tendonitis in my shoulders since about a year into my weightlifting. dont stress it. if you go to the doc, he is just gonna senf you to physio, if you go there, they are just going to stretch it... ive spent about5-10 minutes stretching my shoulders pre-workout for years and keeping them stretched between sets and i rarely get problems anymore. stretching is the most important thing you can do here... if you weightlift eventually your shoulders are gonna get hurt, its the most susceptible joint.
I've been stretching, what stretches do you do?

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've been stretching, what stretches do you do?
i dont know what most are called so ill just explain...

1. full shoulder rotations front and back. nice and slow w/ 5lb weight.
2. stand with bicep against body, forearm sticking out w/ 5lb weight. rotate forearm out to create a 90 degree angle with your body. 10 times each arm, real slow again
3. stand with arm out and up with 5lb weight, rotate down towards the ground until your arm is paralell to the floor then back up. 10 times each arm again. nice and slow.

these are the stretches i was doing in my hundred dollar physio sessions lol except with a bungie cord type thing instead of a small weight, either way it creates the tension.

i do a few after that as well but those are the main ones for shoulder rotations.
also make sure when you do exercises such as shrugs that you do not rotate your shoulders during the motion.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
i dont know what most are called so ill just explain...

1. full shoulder rotations front and back. nice and slow w/ 5lb weight.
2. stand with bicep against body, forearm sticking out w/ 5lb weight. rotate forearm out to create a 90 degree angle with your body. 10 times each arm, real slow again
3. stand with arm out and up with 5lb weight, rotate down towards the ground until your arm is paralell to the floor then back up. 10 times each arm again. nice and slow.

these are the stretches i was doing in my hundred dollar physio sessions lol except with a bungie cord type thing instead of a small weight, either way it creates the tension.

i do a few after that as well but those are the main ones for shoulder rotations.
also make sure when you do exercises such as shrugs that you do not rotate your shoulders during the motion.
Thanks man and trust me I never rotate my shoulders on shugs, if I did I probably would have really messed myself up along time ago.

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks man and trust me I never rotate my shoulders on shugs, if I did I probably would have really messed myself up along time ago.
lol good! i hate seeing those retards rotatin em like crazy. it hurts just lookin at them.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
How many times a week would you recommend I do these stretches? Also is it better to do them on days my shoulders are getting worked or off days?

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How many times a week would you recommend I do these stretches? Also is it better to do them on days my shoulders are getting worked or off days?
do them right before any workout at the gym.
and do them at st some point on off days.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Those stretches have been helping, but I was wondering if I should lay of front squats for a bit, just because the bar rests on the shoulders, or if I should just not worry about it and front squat anyway.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do the front squats.

Have you been foam rolling out the front of the shoulder? It sounds like you have some internal rotation and a tight bicep tendon.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Do the front squats.

Have you been foam rolling out the front of the shoulder? It sounds like you have some internal rotation and a tight bicep tendon.
No, I've just been doing stretches. Since we're on the topic of injuries. My knees have been very tight lately. They don't hurt, but they get very tight. I have tight hamstrings and I've been stretching them.

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Those stretches have been helping, but I was wondering if I should lay of front squats for a bit, just because the bar rests on the shoulders, or if I should just not worry about it and front squat anyway.
glad to hear it bro.

if you feel like they are hurting your shoulder then i would take a break, if they dont feel too bad then soldier on.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, I've just been doing stretches. Since we're on the topic of injuries. My knees have been very tight lately. They don't hurt, but they get very tight. I have tight hamstrings and I've been stretching them.
Again, foam rolling.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Not trying to sound like a know it all but nearly EVERYONE that asks this does the following.

Flat back on the bench
Benches 90 degrees elbows flared
Benches multiple times a week
Doesnt deload/ always goes heavy
Way too much upper body work
Dont realize that squats take a huge toll on the shoulders..

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Not trying to sound like a know it all but nearly EVERYONE that asks this does the following.

Flat back on the bench
Doesnt deload/ always goes heavy
Way too much upper body work
Dont realize that squats take a huge toll on the shoulders..
I bench once a week, I squat once a week and I deadlift once a week and never do I do these exercises on the same day. I have a back and bicep day, a chest and tricep day, a leg day and a Shoulder day.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established

Flat back on the bench
What is wrong with flat back and scapula retracted?
90 degrees elbow flare should be okay if elbows are not dropping below 90degrees to floor, this is DB bench though but BB would be called guillotine press.
I alternate decline and flat now to ease the stress on my shoulders.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
What is wrong with flat back and scapula retracted?
90 degrees elbow flare should be okay if elbows are not dropping below 90degrees to floor, this is DB bench though but BB would be called guillotine press.
I alternate decline and flat now to ease the stress on my shoulders.
whats wrong with flat back is your shoulders go way past parallel even dave tate who was fromerly a powerlifter and now benches flat back has to use a 2 board so his elbows dont go past parallel...

Guillotine presses will trash your shoudlers imo not worth it..

and thats good that u rotate ur lifts to prevent stress on your shoulders.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That form for bench is murder on the shoulders and causes them to be very internally rotated.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
what about upright rows? I've heard so many things bad and good about them. Personally I don't like doing them.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
what about upright rows? I've heard so many things bad and good about them. Personally I don't like doing them.
What about them?

I believe wide grip upright's are very effective at adding lateral mass. Proper form is key for safety, and effectiveness.

I believe close grip is more dangerous on the shoulders.

This is coming from someone with a fncked up shoulder.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
whats wrong with flat back is your shoulders go way past parallel even dave tate who was fromerly a powerlifter and now benches flat back has to use a 2 board so his elbows dont go past parallel...
Arched back makes it more like decline though which makes it less of a compound exercise.

I wonder if external rotator and strong rear delts make it safe to go down far or is it a pec tear prevention rather than shoulder tear issue?

I will ask my physio next time I see him, he told me not to go down past parallel so I make it a priority for my spotter.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
What about them?

I believe wide grip upright's are very effective at adding lateral mass. Proper form is key for safety, and effectiveness.

I believe close grip is more dangerous on the shoulders.

This is coming from someone with a fncked up shoulder.
I usually do them with a slightly wider than shoulder width grip.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I usually do them with a slightly wider than shoulder width grip.
Exactly.

It's important to warm-up into the this movement. I've found going heavy straight away, puts strain on my shoulders. Once my shoulders are full of blood, and warmed up, I can attempt to destroy them.