Puking halfway through my ONE leg workout

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.31%

Puking halfway through my ONE leg workout

Ever since I started following Chad Waterbury's routine in Huge in a Hurry ( name is lame but there's science behind it)

I can't even get through one leg workout anymore. I'm in phase 2 of the program and i'm not even doing much. Yesterday I tried to deadlift and my heart starts rushing and i start feeling dizzy like i'm gonna faint then I had to run back in the locker room and puked what I had in my stomach.

First time it happened I ate like 45 mins before working out so I thought I should probably not eat for 1:30h before

Second time, no food in my stomach, worked out hungry- threw up

Third time, as soon as I started feeling dizzy i stopped my workout ...sat down for 10 mins...then did other stuff and was fine didn't throw up but didn't finish my leg workout.

That only happened to me on 5x5 and i have NO LEG STRENGTH at all so it's not like i'm squatting 400lbs ...i do very light weight for 6-10 reps and I start feeling sick, what is happening?

2. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Either you're conditioning sucks (probably the case), you're going hypoglycemic, or you're breathing incorrectly. Or it could be a combination of these.

Chad is very big on getting his athletes into good anaerobic shape, with lots of supersets and full body workouts. It takes time to build up such a capacity.

But if you can't even dead without getting dizzy, I'd really make sure you're breathing through each rep, and work on increasing your anaerobic conditioning.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.31%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Either you're conditioning sucks (probably the case), you're going hypoglycemic, or you're breathing incorrectly. Or it could be a combination of these.

Chad is very big on getting his athletes into good anaerobic shape, with lots of supersets and full body workouts. It takes time to build up such a capacity.

But if you can't even dead without getting dizzy, I'd really make sure you're breathing through each rep, and work on increasing your anaerobic conditioning.
    Thanks for the info!! I don't think i'm hypoglycemic, i checked the symptoms and I only have a few of them.

It could be the conditioning, I hate cardio, haven't done cardio in a long time, maybe I'll start today then. I'm on a low carb diet, so I don't know if that plays a role in it... but it's like one leg workout per day and it's only on legs, I can do heavy benching, pull ups...but even if I squat the bar...BAM my heart rate goes through the roof
    •   

4. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%

Anaerobic conditioning is different than cardio; it's the capacity to do work without a constant flow of oxygen. Good examples would be: Farmers walks, high rep deadlifts, squats or cleans, or hiit.

The idea is your either holding your breath for part of the movement (deads and squats) or using up oxygen faster than you're breathing it in (hiit).

Squatting will send your heart rate through the roof if you're pushing yourself, the key is breath properly: a big deep breath to fill your chest at the top of each rep, hold it as you descend and exhale as you push up.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipeBR View Post
    Thanks for the info!! I don't think i'm hypoglycemic, i checked the symptoms and I only have a few of them.

It could be the conditioning, I hate cardio, haven't done cardio in a long time, maybe I'll start today then. I'm on a low carb diet, so I don't know if that plays a role in it... but it's like one leg workout per day and it's only on legs, I can do heavy benching, pull ups...but even if I squat the bar...BAM my heart rate goes through the roof

***NOW @ NP***
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.97%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Ugh...I did low-carb for 2 weeks and lost sh!t-tons of strength. What a deppressing 2 weeks to go to the gym. I almost gave up lifting.

I thought about carb-cycling, but I never did that either.

On heavy lifts I take a deep breath on the bottom hold it while pushing (also supports the core I've read) and then exhale 1/2-3/4 of the way up, then deep breath in and out at top, then in and out slowly back down. It works for me. I could never be comfy exhaling slowly on the hardest part of a lift.
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
  6. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%

Quote Originally Posted by waynaferd View Post
    Ugh...I did low-carb for 2 weeks and lost sh!t-tons of strength. What a deppressing 2 weeks to go to the gym. I almost gave up lifting.

I thought about carb-cycling, but I never did that either.

On heavy lifts I take a deep breath on the bottom hold it while pushing (also supports the core I've read) and then exhale 1/2-3/4 of the way up, then deep breath in and out at top, then in and out slowly back down. It works for me. I could never be comfy exhaling slowly on the hardest part of a lift.
    You are right, I misspoke - the exhalation comes towards the top 1/2-3/4 of the rep, like you say.

Yeah, you want the lungs full and core tight when you're "in the hole."

***NOW @ NP***
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.31%

Thanks, I'll try that to see if that's the problem. What's with the dizziness though? Is there anything behind it??
  8. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%

Quote Originally Posted by FilipeBR View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that to see if that's the problem. What's with the dizziness though? Is there anything behind it??
    Either lack of oxygen to your brain, or possibly blood pressure issues? We're not doctors, man, so if working on your breathing and conditioning doesn't help, you're gonna want to see someone.

***NOW @ NP***
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Either lack of oxygen to your brain, or possibly blood pressure issues? We're not doctors, man, so if working on your breathing and conditioning doesn't help, you're gonna want to see someone.
    Double that. You look like you work out enough not to be in bad shape, so if you cant even squat the bar, you should see someone. In fact, people in bad shape should still be able to squat the bar.

Could be psychological, but I doubt that your pressuring ouself that much considering the "not even doing much" quote.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.31%

Appreciate the responses guys!! Thank you very much!
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

hey BR how do you like chads huge in a hurry routine? ive been on the look out for a good program to try.
    Athletic Xtreme Team REP
    http://www.AthleticX.net/
    AXHOLE BY NATURE
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.31%

Update: I did HEAVY SQUATS today....breathing like you guys said, that did it for me, it was tough, very tough, but hey, no puking, no dizzyness. Thanks for the help felt great to finish a leg workout.

Well Chad is no doubt a very serious trainer and coach, he knows his stuff (PhD in neurology) but he's more of an overall conditioner,so he designed it for the great majority of people. He does claim to have helped many professional bodybuilders and all, and there is an advanced routine that would lean towards an amateur BB. Many people who followed his programs have had much success, his approach is simple.

It's hard to explain but his motto is "Lift Heavy and Fast" to work those big motor units.

There are some questionable things in there, he adds some pretty homosexual leaned workouts like working with a swiss ball...doing some crazy cable workouts that I just switch for something more alpha. But I can say that i'm enjoying it. There's a 16 wk plan to get big, get strong and get lean. and then another one for each category but more advanced where he has you working out twice a day.

Take it all with grain and salt...a lot of stuff helped me, a lot i had to toss out. Like everything else out there, see what fits you

Similar Forum Threads

1. Puking-why does it occur
    By JN230 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 01:08 AM
  2. Puking-why does it occur
    By JN230 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 02:38 PM
  3. puking when i try to eat
    By EctoMorphius in forum Bulking
    Replies: 12