Shoulder pain for over a week now...

SilverZ06

Awards
So I was doing chest last week and (not sure during which work out) I got this sharp pain in my right shoulder and the more I pressed on the more pain I got and my whole arm started getting numb feeling. I took a day or two off and relaxed then went back and went to do shoulders. There was some small pain on the military press but that was about it. More time has gone by and day by day the pain seems to worsen. I went to do shoulders this past Friday and I am able to do lateral raises, shrugs, and so on but when I sat down to do military press with 30lbs less then normal....PURE PAIN!!! My arm got to a 90 degree angle as I came down with the weight and I just dropped the weight in pain. It felt like someone was stabbing my shoulder with a knife. I stood up and grabbed some 5 lbs weights and rotated my arms while holding the weight in hopes of stretching things out and as my arm was rotating towards my back it would pinch in the shoulder and I had to stop. I haven't done any weight lifting or any sort in 2 days now and my shoulder just feels tight. I went to stretch today and, again, PURE PAIN as I rotated.

Now my question is, should I just immediately call my doc and see about getting it looked at or continue to not do anything and take some aleve and hope the pain goes away? I know alot of people on here have had shoulder issues so please tell me you thoughts.

Thanks

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your body is communicating to you to stop doing what you are doing.

Take a week or two of from the exercises that cause you pain. Save yourself the doctor bill.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I was doing chest last week and (not sure during which work out) I got this sharp pain in my right shoulder and the more I pressed on the more pain I got and my whole arm started getting numb feeling. I took a day or two off and relaxed then went back and went to do shoulders. There was some small pain on the military press but that was about it. More time has gone by and day by day the pain seems to worsen. I went to do shoulders this past Friday and I am able to do lateral raises, shrugs, and so on but when I sat down to do military press with 30lbs less then normal....PURE PAIN!!! My arm got to a 90 degree angle as I came down with the weight and I just dropped the weight in pain. It felt like someone was stabbing my shoulder with a knife. I stood up and grabbed some 5 lbs weights and rotated my arms while holding the weight in hopes of stretching things out and as my arm was rotating towards my back it would pinch in the shoulder and I had to stop. I haven't done any weight lifting or any sort in 2 days now and my shoulder just feels tight. I went to stretch today and, again, PURE PAIN as I rotated.

Now my question is, should I just immediately call my doc and see about getting it looked at or continue to not do anything and take some aleve and hope the pain goes away? I know alot of people on here have had shoulder issues so please tell me you thoughts.

Thanks
Sounds like you've got a Shoulder Impingement (a quick search will explain to you what that is). A doctor is not going to be able to do anything for you, and if anything, they will just refer you to a physio. If you can't afford a physio, then try and find someone reputable who can and will out together a rehab programme for you - or look around; there should be plenty of examples online. Otherwise, as David Dunn mentioned, take some time out from doing the exercises that specifically cause pain - this is the first phase of rehabilitation: Pain Management - and then go from there. Quickly, from someone who has had this injury, if you do NOT rehabilitate it properly, it will cause issues with you for the rest of your life.

~Team APPNUT

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

7 Ways to Fix Your Shoulders
As you may know by now I suffered a torn rotator cuff and labrum that required surgery. The injury was a long time in the making and the destruction of my shoulder began many years ago when I was doing stupid things like isometronic training in the power rack and other high risk, low reward methods.

Before surgery I was sitting at about 227 pounds. After several months of being incapacitated and eating like a normal human I was down to 179! Like I’ve always said, my hardgainer genetics are freakishly bad. Hell, my wrists don’t even measure seven inches around.

Anyway, the comeback has been long and frustrating. Because I have the undying urge to go heavy whenever I get near iron and the fact that rational thought processes go out the window after I start warming up, I have reinjured my shoulder a couple times throughout the rehab process. Needless to set these setbacks have been incredibly stressful and annoying to deal with.

While training together at CJ Murphy’s gym in Boston once, my friend Dave Tate commented, “You think Jay’s a smart guy until you see some of the stupid **** he does when he’s training.”

And he was 100% right. I do stupid ****. Often and with reckless abandon. It’s my greatest downfall in life. Has been for as long as I can remember. Whether it be flipping dirt bikes, jumping off cliffs or trying to do heavy cleans with an injured shoulder, I just lose control of my rational thought processes when the adrenaline kicks in.

Anyway, the purpose of today’s update is to let you know that after 20 plus years of training I seem to have finally smartened up and have been a bit wiser with my decision making in the gym as of late. As a result my shoulder is feeling a lot better and I’m regaining size and strength pretty quickly.

I’m now back up around 220. It’s a little smaller and softer 220 than how I used to look at this weight but I’ll take it for now. At the rate I’m going I’ll be gaining a lot more size back over the next few weeks and months and I can lean down when I decide the time is right.

After I completed the Triple Threat Muscle program and made great gains, I decided that I was back closer to an advanced level and needed to change my training back to what I used to do pre-surgery. The only difference was that there would have to be major modifications due to the shoulder injury.

So what have been the biggest changes that have made all the difference as of late?

1) I always do a general warm up lasting at least 10 minutes. This consists of various mobility drills and isometric holds for injury prone areas. Years ago I might have walked into the gym in a rush and skipped my warm up entirely. Now I would never dream of it.

2) I do more specific shoulder warm ups. After my general warm up, on an upper body day, I do specific shoulder warm ups. These consist of YTWL’s or something similar. Instead of that sequence I may just do bent over Y-raises, lateral raises, bent over rear delt raises, standing front raises, standing external rotations, all in a row for ten reps each with a pair of fives. After that I will always do two sets of external rotations lying on my side for 12-20 reps. Another great one is to take a medicine ball and place it against the wall. With your hand pressed against it you do the alphabet. I got this one from my friend, Keith Scott and it works like a charm.

3) Shoulder dislocations with a broomstick. These are part of number 2 but are so important that they need an individual mention. Nothing has helped my shoulder more than these. I do 25 reps before every workout and 25-50 reps another couple days per week even when I’m not training. I can’t recommend this drill highly enough. I only wish I had known about it years ago.

4) I do higher reps on my warm up sets. In the past when I was ready to start my work sets I would minimize the reps on warm up sets only because I couldn’t wait to get to the heavy sets. I just wanted to get my warm ups over as fast as humanly possible and load the bar up with heavy weight.

Big mistake.

Let’s say I was going to pull 455 for 10. My warm up sets would look like this:

135 x 5

225 x 5

315 x 1-3

405 x 1

455 x 10- work set

In retrospect that just seems silly to me now. There’s no way you’re adequately warmed up doing that.

Last night I did barbell military presses. I know I probably shouldn’t even be pressing a bar at this point in my life but I love it and need it. It’s an addiction. My warm ups went like this:

45 x 20

75 x 10

95 x 10

115 x 10

135 x 12- work set

Here’s a video of that last set:

(turn down your speakers, the music’s kinda loud)

The difference this made was immeasurable. I can’t even begin to tell you how much better I felt doing this than I would have had I done my old style warm up where I got zero pump or blood flow and felt the sets more in my joints than I did in the belly of the muscle.

Does this limit the amount of weight I can do on my heaviest work sets? Maybe a bit. But I don’t think the extra few pounds is worth the risk of injury. The body will adapt.

5) I don’t go below eight reps on upper body exercises. And most of my sets fall in the range of 10-12. I will actually only go down to eight reps only after an adequate warm up and maybe a few work sets at a higher rep range. Now, this isn’t to say I will never go below eight reps because I’m sure eventually I will. But right now I have no intentions of doing so. It’s just not worth it.

Having said that, what I do is not necessarily what you should do. Hardgainers who try to train solely in the range of 10-12 reps will remain skinny and weak forever. This rep range is better suited for advanced, stronger lifters.

6) I stay far away from failure. I have always recommended this and have practiced what I preached for the most part. But in all honesty, I would let myself get a little out of control in the heat of battle. I rarely ever miss a weight in training but in the past I have come too close too many times. I never, ever allow this anymore. All of reps are piston like, smooth and fast, with control and picture perfect technique, and I never come near failure.

7) I use a limited range of motion. I know, I know you are always supposed to use a full range of motion on every exercise you do.

Except for the fact that it’s unnatural and dangerous I guess that old rehashed advice makes some kind of sense.

Do me a favor. Hold your hands up in position to do a barbell military press. Now draw an invisible line connecting your two hands. I’ll bet the invisible bar is not sitting on your upper chest. If it is chances are you’re incredibly skinny. Which isn’t a bad thing if you’re a beginner. I’m just making a point here.

For most of us the invisible bar will a couple inches above your chest. If you hold a broomstick in this position, without intentionally trying to bring the bar to your chest, it will probably be around chin level, and that’s where you should be pressing from.

Why?

Because it’s natural. Bringing it down to your chest would place a lot of undue stress on your shoulders.

Now if you want to count a strict press and compete against someone or whatnot you would technically have to touch your chest. But since there aren’t too many military press contests around I would opt for the safer range and keep the bar somewhere around chin level in the bottom position.

Dead hang chin ups and full extension barbell curls have the same type of destructive effect on the joints. This discussion in itself requires a full article but for now we’ll leave it at that…

No extreme, unnatural ranges of motion.

One final point I would like to make is that I always start my workouts with long sleeves or a hooded sweatshirt unless it’s a minimum of 80 degrees in the gym (and preferably closer to 90). I don’t peel a layer off until near the end, when all the heavy lifting is done. If it’s in the 60’s or 70’s in the gym I stay bundled up throughout. This is nothing new as I’ve always done that. But I thought I’d mention it because it’s a great way to stay healthy. Sometimes people are scared of sweating and want to open the door or turn on the fan or complain about the heat. Little do they know it’s actually helping them stay injury free.
http://jasonferruggia.com/7-ways-to-fix-your-shoulders/

SilverZ06

Awards
Last question, I am currently 6 weeks into a cycle....should I just end it or continue and hope it helps out other body parts?

SilverZ06

Awards
So I went to an Ortho and he said that the x-rays show nothing and that it sounds more like I strained something in my shoulder and I should just let it rest for two weeks....he didn't say however if I should attempt to do any stretches on it or anything and gave me no pain killers and said to just take Ibuprofen for the inflamation. The part I don't like, is my shoulder is grinding and popping alot more then it ever has and I told him that but he didn't seemed concerned about it.....should I be concerned myself?

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
Rippetoe has a good saying about injuries: "There are those that you can train through, and those that you have to train around."

In your case sounds like you have to train around it. Simply cease doing anything that causes it pain, but continue doing what you can that doesn't aggravate it.

I wouldn't end the cycle and risk losing your gains, just do what you can , and hopefully it heals up soon.

Some rehab work wouldn't hurt either, such as foam rolling, L flyes, band pull aparts, and stretching.

justinc

Awards
I had shoulder pain for along time. Did some research and found an exercise written by Dante. He is also the creator of DC training. He claims it will cure 90% of shoulder pain. After doing this exercise for 3 weeks my shoulder pain was almost completely gone. It still hurts a little if I do heave DB incline press. Other than that its fine. Here is a link to it. Look at the post by "Iron dwarf". The only equipment you need is a broomstick.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/training_delts_without_dumbbells

SilverZ06

Awards
I had shoulder pain for along time. Did some research and found an exercise written by Dante. He is also the creator of DC training. He claims it will cure 90% of shoulder pain. After doing this exercise for 3 weeks my shoulder pain was almost completely gone. It still hurts a little if I do heave DB incline press. Other than that its fine. Here is a link to it. Look at the post by "Iron dwarf". The only equipment you need is a broomstick.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/training_delts_without_dumbbells
I just gave that a try and I don't think I am flexable enough to do it. I grabbed a very long broom and it wasn't working. My wife just stood there laughing.

I'll try some random stretches and stay clear of pain causing movements for now.

Another question though, I read that Deca and test cycles are generally good for healing muscle injuries, is this true? I am currently running Deca and Test E so I was just curious.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Quickly, from someone who has had this injury, if you do NOT rehabilitate it properly, it will cause issues with you for the rest of your life.

~Team APPNUT
+1

Word from the vets. The earlier on that you incorporate some injury prevention into your routine, the longer and happier you will be lifting.

If you can't do the exercise that Justinc recommended then I am going to guess that your shoulder flexibility is really lacking. Find a length of rope or karate belt or whatever to allow you take a wide enough grip to do it. Then work your way closer.

Also,
- Ice your shoulder
- Google other shoulder stretches and then incorporate them permanently
- Ditch shoulder presses of all kinds and try DB raises to shoulder height for reps
- Ditch flat BB bench press. Either go with DB or go incline/decline. Again, lighter weight for reps. (Personally I never train flat BB bench anymore - risky exercise).

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
Ice it, take lots of ibuprofen and rest. It's what they'll tell you to do at physical therapy anyways.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ice it, take lots of ibuprofen and rest. It's what they'll tell you to do at physical therapy anyways.[/QUOT

i have the same problem. caused by bench press. when to the doc, had a cat scan and mri and one of my ligaments is torn from lifting. i can either have surgery or ice it daily and it will heal on its own. if u can withstand the pain, DO NOT take lots of ibuprofen. especially if u are on a cycle. tylenol and stuff like this is horrible for your liver. ive taken super ciccus and it works. my pain is now random and not a constant pain. i ice for 20 min then heat for 20 min then 60 min off.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
We have a one-sided mattress and I flipped it over even tho its not meant to be, so it was A LOT firmer. I'll be damned my shoulder pain went away almost immediately!!

But any shoulder work, db bench, or heavy bb bench was damn near impossible before. I thought I was going too heavy too fast or had sh!tty form and it was my own fault, but nope. I can blame the soft mattress!!

I would seriously try sleeping on the couch or floor for just a couple nights and see what happens....can't make anything any worse I can't imagine!!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
for me that isnt the case cause ive had my shoulder checked out but for others it may work!

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
I have shoulder problems as well... sounds to me like your back muscles are not activated enough... I would suggest laying off the pressing exercises or any exercise that lifts the arm over the head and focus more on your back work and rear delts, various rows, shrugs, face pulls and even some prone cobras to pull those anterior muscles back into alignment... Always remember in the future that for every pressing exercise you should have two pulling exercises

BoundToSteel

Awards
First off regular shoulder films (x-ray) won't show any ligament issues. MRI will. Anyway, I would take off two weeks and then see what happens. But I suggest that you do some exercises that build the small stabilizing muscles. Innies and outies are great. You won't use much weight, 10-20 lbs, and they will not get you any bigger, but, they will deff help you from injuring your rotator cuffs. Which if you're feel grinding and popping, bet that's the case.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I have a lot of left side shoulder stability issues. Pretty much caused by the fact that I have a paralyzed thoracic nerve.

for a while to could not perform military presses. I've been doing the broomstick shoulder dislocation for a little while now, and I have found that it has greatly helped in loosening up my shoulder. I can do presses again without much discomfort. Face Pulls have also helped. I usually perform the "broomsticks" nightly 1-2 sets and I perform them as a warm up before any training.

SilverZ06

Awards
Ok a quick update....I has been about 2-3 weeks from the time I saw the doc and he had said 2 weeks of rest would solve the issue....it has not. I noticed that if I stretch like crazy, it hurts, but doesn't hurt to move it around afterwards. It does however, after stretching, feel all tight and tense. I have tried doing other workouts like VERY light dumbell bench and the next day I was in pain like crazy. It seems that no matter what I do it hurts. While I sit at my desk and type this I feel almost like a pressure inside my shoulder and when I try to pin-point it with my finger it feels like the muscle is sore from the front of my shoulder, around the side, and to the back. The soreness feels like it would after a good hard work out a day or two before. I am going out of town for a couple days and I think I am going to head back to the doc to see whats up or possibly to another doctor for a second opinion. I can't keep dealing with this and I want to be able to work out again and sleep without waking up in pain.

BoundToSteel

Awards
Sounds like you need to have an arthrogram. The radiologist will inject a contrast dye called gadolinium into your shoulder joint under fluoroscopy. Then you have an MRI. That's just my opinion... This will show rotator cuff injuries.

SilverZ06

Awards
I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow with a different doctor for a second opinion. This office is suppose to be the best Ortho docs in the STL so we shall see what they come up with. My shoulder is still killing and nothign has changed. This on top of my shooting pain in my left forearm, is really getting on my nerves.

SilverZ06

Awards
So I got the bad news today......labral tear in the right shoulder. Have an MRI next week to determine how bad the tear is.....if not to bad the doc said he will do a steroid injection and that should solve it....if bad, surgery..........this sucks!