Why do boxers jog so much?

D

drvinnybombat

Awards
Boxers road work is like 3-5 miles of jogging at a pace of 4-6 MPH just about every day. They do occasionally do a bit of agility work and throw a few punches along the way, but isn't that a bit much? Boxers swear by it, and I'm reluctant to argue with Pac-man or Mayweather.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Boxers road work is like 3-5 miles of jogging at a pace of 4-6 MPH just about every day. They do occasionally do a bit of agility work and throw a few punches along the way, but isn't that a bit much? Boxers swear by it, and I'm reluctant to argue with Pac-man or Mayweather.
It's for endurance - and no, not too much at all; boxers ARE athletes, after all, and boxing is a very demanding sport (trust me, I boxed for a few years, and it's far more demanding than goign to th e gym for a few sessions a week to life like the 'average' trainee does). Boxers also do a lot of skipping, etc. And don't forget their actual boxing training sessions - which ARE specific re power, agility, etc.

~Team APPNUT

H

hog928

Awards
  • Established
yea they need it going toe to toe with another guys for a few rounds is more tiring then you would think. Always moving. It will tire you out fast

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's mainly for weight control in the lower classes. The speed isn't working on applicable enudrance, but it's more of a traditional thing than any actualsport-specific purpose.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's mainly for weight control in the lower classes. The speed isn't working on applicable enudrance, but it's more of a traditional thing than any actualsport-specific purpose.
Rodja has a good point here. There is a fairly strong traditional component to boxing training. By comparison MMA is relatively new and does not have as entrenched ideology.

O

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
MMA, I'd argue, has significantly different energy system requirements than boxing due to the prospect of having to dirty box/grapple for up to 5 minutes in a round. However, there are 5 rounds at a maximum. Boxing, on the other hand, is up to 15 3 minute rounds at what is likely to be a lower intensity (metabolically).

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
MMA, I'd argue, has significantly different energy system requirements than boxing due to the prospect of having to dirty box/grapple for up to 5 minutes in a round. However, there are 5 rounds at a maximum. Boxing, on the other hand, is up to 15 3 minute rounds at what is likely to be a lower intensity (metabolically).
Don't think so.In both cases you want as large of a gas tank as you can practically get. Regardless, we're kinda going OT here.