Problem with tendonitis in both forearms.

Cannon454

Awards
Good Morning AM,

I have been suffering from tendonitis in both of my forearms for some time now. The only relief seems to be taking 1 week off weights every 2 months.

I am a seasoned iron head however I don't post much. Just read. My typical split is:

Monday - Shoulders / Back
Tuesday - Legs
Wednesday - Chest
Thursday - Arms
Friday - Abs / Random

My rep frequency is 5x5 for one two month section, then switching to 4x12 for the next two months, alternating from there out.

In the past I haved used a wide range of supplements but since being put on Lexapro last year I have dumped every supplement ( other than protein ).

Is there any other guys/ladies suffering from similar tendonitis? I really don't want start a lot of supplements other than maybe reintroducing cissus into my routine.

Thanks for your help.

Cannon

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Other than a deca type AAS I'm not sure what helps with tendons. I'd like to hear more on this too. Cissus only seemed to take away the pain and not heal the tear for me.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you find it worse when you are on 5x5 and better on 4x12? If so then reducing weight and sticking with higher reps would be a start.

Ongoing tendinitis basically means that you are loading beyond your body's ability to heal. So the obvious solution is to back off on loading (yeah, we never WANT to do this.) Personally I find forearm/elbow tendinitis to be a real drag because they are involved in all upper body compound movements as well as arms isolations, and even some lower body stuff (Db squats, deads, etc).

Maybe switch to a 2x12 routine for a few weeks, make each rep count, and see how it goes. I doubt that you will lose much.

Could also try:
- Swap some heavy compound movements that involve your forearms with some isolations.
- Regular ice and stretching
- Eccentric loading forearms rehab exercises
- RMT for scar tissue breakdown

Cannon454

Awards
Nitrox,

Thank you for the input. The hardest part is backing off. It's tough to go in and not push the way I want to. There does not seem to be a real difference between the two routines, reguarding flare up. I will try out the 2x12 for 4 weeks and be more digalent (SP?) on my icing.

Also once the 4 weeks is up I will update this post, and continue to plan for future gains.

This is very frustrating as the first 4 months of this year I have seen the best gains to date. In 3 months my bench rose from 275 - 350 and have hit nothing but PR's. It will be tough to back down a little.

Cannon454

Awards
So today was my first 2x12 day and it's going to take some getting used to. I still got a nice pump out of the workout, however there was very little aggravation to the tendinitis. Good going so far. Now onto ice and recovery.

eat. eat. eat. eat. eat. eat. eat.

Dchristo

Awards
Do you get sharp shooting pains when letting go of the bar after curling or other bicep exercises and chronic pain for a few days after? If so, I had the same problem when going heavy, a veteran lifter at my gym told me to stretch my forearms before lifting and not grip the bar so tightly or try using straps. It worked for me no more pain.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I had the same problem a while back. My solution was to lay off all bicep and forearm training. Whatever training the biceps and forearms received came from my back workouts. There were a few times the pain was less than usual, so I decided to return to training biceps and forearms. The pain came back and had to wait all over again. Best advice would be lay back off the training and wait until you completely heal, or it will take a long long time.

Cannon454

Awards
Are you suggesting completely stopping all upper body training? Maybe spend the summer in the pool or running?

SwolePierce

SwolePierce

Awards
You need to take some IGF-1 LR3 near the tendon IM eod (60 mcg).

You could also try some GHRP-6 or GHRP-2 with Modified GRF(1-29).

Cissus will help mask the problem but will not solve it. The peptides I mentioned WILL heal the tendons with time. It worked for me and many others.

Anavar is also very good for collagen synthesis and can improve tendon strength...

ShayZ

Awards
I had this issue, but strengthening my forearms via grip twist/pulls helped. I now literally feel no pain, and it use to be so bad I couldnt even spot someone on bench because it would trigger massive pain in my forearms.

Cannon454

Awards
SwolePierce,

Thank you very much for the insight. I am very hesitant to add any chemicals into my system right now. ( Hence the Lexapro ). But it sounds like I should take some time off and focus on my legs/cardio this summer. Let the body heal. I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS!

Either way I have a doc appointment on the 4th of june and with ask him then.

Thank you all!

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I had this issue, but strengthening my forearms via grip twist/pulls helped. I now literally feel no pain, and it use to be so bad I couldnt even spot someone on bench because it would trigger massive pain in my forearms.
Maybe in the future when he is healed. As of right now he need time off from forearm training. That will make things worse.

Cannon454

Awards
Maybe in the future when he is healed. As of right now he need time off from forearm training. That will make things worse.
Should I continue with chest/back/abs/shoulders/tri's?

Or focus on the healing and stick with cardio based exercises swimming/cycling/running.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Should I continue with chest/back/abs/shoulders/tri's?

Or focus on the healing and stick with cardio based exercises swimming/cycling/running.
If you can train those muscle groups without any problems than yes. Just stay away from direct training on the two areas you are having difficulties with. You will still get plenty of bicep training from your back training day. That is what worked for me.

If you are getting the pain on no matter what muscle group you are training, than maybe it is best to stop all training for a few weeks.

My problems lasted months from being stubborn and not taking a break.

Cannon454

Awards
Sounds like a plan Anthony. Thank you for the input.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Good Morning AM,

I have been suffering from tendonitis in both of my forearms for some time now. The only relief seems to be taking 1 week off weights every 2 months.

I am a seasoned iron head however I don't post much. Just read. My typical split is:

Monday - Shoulders / Back
Tuesday - Legs
Wednesday - Chest
Thursday - Arms
Friday - Abs / Random

My rep frequency is 5x5 for one two month section, then switching to 4x12 for the next two months, alternating from there out.

In the past I haved used a wide range of supplements but since being put on Lexapro last year I have dumped every supplement ( other than protein ).

Is there any other guys/ladies suffering from similar tendonitis? I really don't want start a lot of supplements other than maybe reintroducing cissus into my routine.

Thanks for your help.

Cannon

Couple things:

-Use straps on back exercises
-Ditch straight bar curls
-Increase fish oil intake to combat inflammation
-Pick up some Cissus, USPlabs extract is still the best i've ever used try 6-09 caps
-Deep tissue massage, this one is a must imho, breakdown any scar tissue, increase blood flow
-Take a week off from lifting
-Stretch & Ice

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Couple things:

-Use straps on back exercises
-Ditch straight bar curls
-Increase fish oil intake to combat inflammation
-Pick up some Cissus, USPlabs extract is still the best i've ever used try 6-09 caps
-Deep tissue massage, this one is a must imho, breakdown any scar tissue, increase blood flow
-Take a week off from lifting
-Stretch & Ice
Also some great advice. Fish oil should def. go up.