workout intensity .

johnstump

Awards
so pretty much to make things simple. when i work out my chest one time a week how hard should i go? 3 sets of 5 reps ? (fifth one being failure) or what? more sets? reps?

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i like 3 sets 8 reps 5 different exercises to hit them at different angles. but thats me if what you are doing is working then stick with it if its not change it up. every one respones differently to different intensity levels.even if you find # that work they my only work for a couple of months then you have to change it all again

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
There is no magic number or sets or reps, really what it all boils down to is picking a scheme that works for you and that you can progress on. As long as you are either adding a little bit of weight or cranking out an extra rep or two each week then you are doing something right, if not you need to rethink things.

For your reference here are the basic rep purposes:

1-3 pure strength
5-7 power
8-12 hypertrophy
15+ endurance

A lot of strength coaches like 5 reps, cause it fits the bill for both strength and mass gains. For bodybuilding, generally 6-8 for heavy work is good, with occassional low rep work for pure strength. Personally I vary my ranges for different exercises but like 5-8 for the big lifts, and 8-12 for isolations.

johnstump

Awards
size

so pretty much .. for instance if i want size and lets say i could do 150 8 times.. when i start being able to do 150 12 times i need to bump it up to 160? so i can start from 8 again?
Ah nvm .. no magic numbers.. guess as long as i keep upping weight ill be fine lol .

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
so pretty much .. for instance if i want size and lets say i could do 150 8 times.. when i start being able to do 150 12 times i need to bump it up to 160? so i can start from 8 again?
Ah nvm .. no magic numbers.. guess as long as i keep upping weight ill be fine lol .
Perfect.

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
Yea that would work just fine. Set a minimum amount of reps, say 8, and if you fail at 5 then lower it some, and set a maximum amount of reps like 12 if you want, to where if you hit or exceed that then add some weight. 10 lb jumps work well, but sometimes 5 lb jumps are better to ensure slow, albeit steady progress.

johnstump

Awards
ok so.. for example. 135 X10 times 135X 8 times 135X 6 times. the next time i work out i should try to get more reps? and when i can do 135X10 for three sets.. i need to bump it up to 145?

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
ok so.. for example. 135 X10 times 135X 8 times 135X 6 times. the next time i work out i should try to get more reps? and when i can do 135X10 for three sets.. i need to bump it up to 145?
Yea that would work just fine.

If you're wanting more strength gains though you can go for lower reps and go for like 3x6 instead, and bump the weight up then.

Just remember it's all about progression, and as long as you are progressing in some way you are doing something right.