Is there any routine truly better than Push/Pull/Legs?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.

Is there any routine truly better than Push/Pull/Legs?

I used to work out all kinds of weird ways.. I tried push/pull/legs one time and never stopped or changed it. For me.. Push/Pull/Legs at a weight I can do 5 reps is amazing. I don't bulk, and don't get skinny cut but a perfect thickness of the muscles.

For non-competitive body builders which is the majority of us.. is there anything better than push/pull/legs? If you work this routine what do you think about it?

2. Registered User

Sounds like a strength routine to stay in the 5 rep range, and 3 day splits you either hit each muscle group once per week or goto the gym 5-6 times a week.

Its best to hit each muscle 2-3 times per week if you have the time.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.

I wouldn't say it's the be all end all of routines as there is no such thing as the best routine anyway. There's too many variables and things are always evolving and changing.

But I will say it is one hell of a way to run a split and I actually train that way often, I am now as a matter of fact.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

It's a simple, very effective way to train that has worked for years and years. Personally, I think most intermediate lifters who want to get big and strong would be better off with this type of routine than some complicated 5 day split. Multiple sets of 5 strike a balance between strength and size, so it works well for most. Besides, you said this has worked well for you, so you shouldn't need any of us to validate that for you. If this works for you, keep using it. Don't get greedy and switch things up to try and gain even more. Stick with what works for you.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.

I don't call myself a bodybuilder really, but I have the same basic idea...to get better. I just focus more on performance. Either way, I would say that this is one of 3 routines that are clearly above all other. The other two being circuit training for endurance, and a full-body routine of compound lifts for power.

But if you're really a bodybuilder more than an athlete, then I would say that you're right. I do know bodybuilders that like to split legs into a press/quad and curl/ham day.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Don't get greedy and switch things up to try and gain even more. Stick with what works for you.
    Haha it's damn near impossible not to be greedy when I know my body can be pushed a little harder for a little extra. Great comments guys!

I just always see guys at the gym working out "arms" for a full workout. I think that's crazy and don't see any benefit to it unless you were a pro bodybuilder with the aid of some damn good "supps" that would put mass on the arms. You're killing your triceps when tomorrow you need it for bench press so your bench press is hurting and not at 100%. Push/Pull/Legs solves this problem. I just see most people training like high level body builders with split routines and full days to biceps and calfs lol.

Tom Platz said he never went in to work out his legs, but to train squats. You don't go in to train back, but you train the pull down, the exercise. Making the exercise a sport made such an improvement to my work outs and gains that I have never changed this mindset. I go in to get stronger, and when I plateau, I find taking a couple weeks to one month off is what I need to let my body know it's ok to shut off the engine--than I shock it back into growth achieving the strength I plateaued at in 2 weeks which took me 6 weeks to get to that level prior. Push/Pull/Legs makes this get stronger mindset so easy to work with. After all, a stronger muscle, is a bigger muscle. Bench press, squats, and rows is all the average joe needs IMO--no machines and no smiths. Leave those sophisticated machines for the pro's who need to isolate such a specific part of the muscle that only machines can provide. Live by the traditional compounds.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.

Many years experimenting and striving for the most effective/efficient routine, has turned me into a push-puller. I brutalize myself for 1 hour everyday on this 5 day rotation:

Day 1. Legs
    Day 2. Pull (no deadlifts)
    Day 3. Push
    Day 4. Core: abs, deads, cardio and stretching.
    Day 5. Misc. isolation: shoulders, forearms, neck,

No days off. I lift for 1 hour a day. Start with 5 min cardio, do 3-5 different compound exercises, then 1-3 different isolation exercises, finish with 5 min cardio. Target heart rate is mantained throughout routine by using heavy weights with low/med reps and minimal rest. I try to kill 5-6 exercises each w/o.

No need for an "arm" day because pulling day ends with bicep isolation, and pushing day ends with tricep isolation.

Next 5 day rotation could be all different exercises, but schedule never changes.

Every muscle rests at least 2 days.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by weeniman View Post
    No need for an "arm" day because pulling day ends with bicep isolation, and pushing day ends with tricep isolation.
    That's exactly what I'm talkin about weeni........ nicely put

That's a very nice and active set-up for a 6'0 275 pounder bro you must be lifting damn heavy. I envy
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.

Thank you sir. Some fellow gym-rats have started following me around the gym--apparently they like my routine too.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemilk View Post
    I used to work out all kinds of weird ways.. I tried push/pull/legs one time and never stopped or changed it. For me.. Push/Pull/Legs at a weight I can do 5 reps is amazing. I don't bulk, and don't get skinny cut but a perfect thickness of the muscles.

For non-competitive body builders which is the majority of us.. is there anything better than push/pull/legs? If you work this routine what do you think about it?

I find it to be a great routine, but I switch often to keep it fresh. So Id have to say there is no such thing as the 'best' routine.
  11. Registered User

I just started a Push/Pull but its only 3 days and Legs get mixed in. Push/Pull/Legs sounds interesting. Can someone post an example of their Push/Pull/Legs?
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  165 lbs.

I'm currently doing a Push/Pull. It goes like this:

Day 1 Push
    Squats 4 sets
    DB Press 3 sets
    Incline DB Press 3 sets
    DB Shoulder Press 3 sets
    Pressdowns 3 sets

Day 2 Pull
    Deadlifts 3 sets
    Barbell Rows 3 sets
    Wide Grip Pulldowns 3 sets
    Incline DB Curls 3 sets
    and Calf work for 3-4 sets

Then I day 3 is an off day, and i start all over. How does it look?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Push/Pull/Legs. Advice.
    By Boondoggleyou in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 09:23 AM
  2. push/pull/legs for advanced lifters
    By Mafesto31 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM
  3. Push/Pull/Legs....when to do shoulder isolations?
    By waynaferd in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 06:14 PM
  4. push/pull/legs
    By msucurt in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 08:38 AM
  5. For anyone who follows a push/pull/legs split...
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 12:15 PM