Time Off

JT54

Awards
I have been training for about 5 years and have never taken a week off from training. I was considering taking this week off b/c i have read that a week off can help alot and make you come back stronger. Is this true or does it even matter?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been training for about 5 years and have never taken a week off from training. I was considering taking this week off b/c i have read that a week off can help alot and make you come back stronger. Is this true or does it even matter?
You should be taking a week off every 8-12 weeks, especially if you are doing resistance training (I say after every 16 weeks if you're just doing cardio or sports training). NOT giving your body recovery time will hamper gains and progress. You definitely sound like you're well OVERdue for a week off - even 2 weeks off would be good for you.

~Team APPNUT

JT54

Awards
ok thanks. Ill take a week off and how it sounds it should do me alot of good. Im just one of those people who feel lazy when im not at the gym and feel like im getting smaller by not going.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok thanks. Ill take a week off and how it sounds it should do me alot of good. Im just one of those people who feel lazy when im not at the gym and feel like im getting smaller by not going.
I know how you feel re not training. But taking necessary breaks is not being lazy, and you are NOT going to get smaller when not training (I suggest learning about nutrition and the important role it plays in maintaining and gaining muscle mass, if you do not know about it already) - if you continue training, your body will end up working against you, if you do not give it a break. Trust me, I currently have adrenal fatigue from too many months without a break, and a few years ago, I suffered from Chronic Fatigue, for the same reasons. If you do not take the break, your body eventually will - and the process back to training is frustratingly slow and far from fun.

~Team APPNUT

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
Time off is absolutely critical and necessary for recovery. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to take a day off. Lots of proven programs have pre-planned deloads and rest periods in them to regulate intensity. You can't blast away forever, you'll end up doing more harm then good if you do.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
let's say you only hit the gym 3 times a week and maybe do cardio once a week -- is taking a week off after 8 - 12 still recommended? Is cardio okay on your rest week? Thanks!