in need of workout routine advice please

viking805fan

Awards
1st of all my goal would be to try to get toned/cut right now. Im 5"11 around 178lbs body aint that toned has a had lost weight a while back ago when i was around 235lbs

as of right now i started taking jack3d ive been on it for 2 weeks now and i usually take 2 two scoops of whey protein after eachworkout which would be around 52grams of protein.

My workout routine:

workout 1: 1-1.5hrs of biceps and chest and then 20min eliptical cardio

workout 2: I do about 40min of eliptical then 20min of abs/situps,then triceps for 25-35min

I pretty much just alternate those two workouts and try to atleast take 1 day off a week.

any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
stick to push, pull, legs. In workout 2 you work out your tricep which is needed at full strength to work out your chest. Dont strain the secondary muscles (tricep) when you need them at full blast for primary muscles (chest). Push pull legs all the way.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
all exercises that require you to push aka chest, tri's, shoulders on one day.. all exercises that require you to pull aka all back workouts and biceps on another day.

viking805fan

Awards
oh ok i gotcha. and muscle building and recovery how many days off should i take out of a week? and also should those days off be taken in a row?

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do this..
Monday- push
Teusday- legs
Wed- Rest
Thursday- pull

Now from here on in, once your push or pull muscles are all healed up.. get them back in the gym (there is no telin how long they will take to heal) The only rest days you should have are when your push/pull/leg groups are all healing and none of them are ready to work out again.. Don't have days set in stone for rest days. Start with that guideline for mon tues wed thurs then it's all about gauging how your body is healing those groups. The next time you work out is as soon as one of your push/pull/leg muscle groups are healed up.

viking805fan

Awards
so for example i should only be working out biceps like only 2 times a week? and off days when i feel like my muscles need recovery?

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
So you only train your chest and arms?

If so you will only realize a fraction of your potential by neglecting your legs and back, which contain the most musculature in the body.

viking805fan

Awards
doesnt cardio pretty much workout your legs?

viking805fan

Awards
oh i see, thanks! now that i think of i should be doing that. also should i be doing situps everyday? or how many times a week then have days in betweem where skip the situps portion?

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
No need for situps everyday, the abs are just like any other muscle that just need to be stimulated than allowed time to recover in order to develop. Situps won't get you a six pack, dieting down to -10% bf will.

My honest advice for you would be to just focus on building a strength and development base right now, keeping things simple. The simpler, the better.

A push/pull/legs routine is always a good way to train as was already mentioned by the other poster.

Do something like this:

Monday Chest/shoulders/triceps

Flat barbell bench 3x5
Incline db bench 2x8
Standing barbell press 2x8
Tricep pushdowns 3x10
Lateral raises 4x10

Wednesday Back/Biceps/Abs

Deadlifts 2x5
One arm db rows 2x8
Chin ups 3x6
Barbell curls 3x8
Hammer curls 2x15
Weighted situps 3x10

Friday Legs

Leg extensions 2x12
Squats 3x5
Leg curls 4x10
Calf raises 3x20

Done.

Warm up sets not included, only work sets listed. Write down every workouts work sets and reps and do everything you can to try and beat the log book every time by either adding a bit of weight, or a few extra reps. Try to add 5-10 lbs on your main lifts such as squats, deads, and presses every week or so. Of course you won't be able to do that every week, but that needs to be your mentality, it's all about progression.

viking805fan

Awards
thanks for a routine. but 1 quick question so that means i only go to the gym 3 days a week?

viking805fan

Awards
so for ex. biceps should only be worked out once a week? and also on the days i do weights in general should i just not do cardio at all?

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
so for ex. biceps should only be worked out once a week? and also on the days i do weights in general should i just not do cardio at all?
Yea you'd only be working the bodyparts once a week. By doing that you'll be allowing adequate recovery and you'll be able to yield maximum intensity. I wouldn't do any cardio on lifting days, I'd do cardio on Tue and Thu, and take the weekends completely off.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
why does everybody like push/pull? all of my friends including myself hate it and it has never worked for us. i just find it interesting that so many ppl love it

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have seen my best growth for definition and size doing regular splits with jump roping as cardio. sets between 8 to 10 and lifting arms twice a week because they recover quickly for me at least. i also like 5x5 for mass, ive tried push pull for 2 and a half months and hated it. im not dogging on ppl who like it, i just dont like it. i dont feel big when i leave the gym like i do during splits. also, when i went back to my splits i lost strength