Is Rear Delt Row a good substitute for rear delt raises?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    I find it a big coincidence you happened to discover this yourself and its also listed on exrx under poor form, it doesnt look like the type of excercise you just decide to do, obviously it works well for you and others must feel the same way if its on exrx, anyhow its just there to demonstrate these points:
    When elbows travel under shoulders:
    Latissimus Dorsi takes the majority of the load
    Shoulder extension
    Rear delts are still exercised
    Forfeits the purpose of even performing an auxiliary isolated movement
    Isolation
    Lats can be exercised more efficiently with rows and pull-downs
    Done "right" you don't feel it in the lats at all. Yes it can be done FOR lats but that is with much lighter weights, that is an actual movement I have seen in some programs. If you keep your lats tucked in vs flared out and change the bent in the elbow it changes the movement a lot. also not extending as far down on the negative. It is very much something you need to feel out but it does 0000% for my lats when done the way I am picturing. For me, my rear delts feel movements lower down, none of this level with the shoulder crap or above the head. I always went to mid/upper back and this movement which is to the waste. Also the link you left is some cheese "owned" star trek thing not anything pertaining to this.

•   

2. That persons lower back is rounded and so are their shoulders, when they come all the way down their lats will have to flar out and thus get contracted back to make the weight move. With the lower back rounded and shoulder kept further back and not doing all the way down you CAN isolates the rear delt. Also the elbow movement on there looks weird... That is in the right league though.

3. I know what your talking about, have you tried this, I think you might like it: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...DeltRaise.html

4. Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    I know what your talking about, have you tried this, I think you might like it: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...DeltRaise.html
    I have horrible shoulders, one of which is surgically repaired to have restricted range of motion so that really won't be in the works ha.

I also like the lay on your side on a bench and do one handed rear flyes, need to go lighter.
    •   

5. You dont look like you have shoulder problems man, you got pretty nice delts.

Here is a more detailed guide on rear delts for anyone who needs it LOL
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxLhH73VgwA&feature=pl ayer_embedded"]YouTube- Lying Rear Delt Rows at Home[/nomedia]

6. Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    You dont look like you have shoulder problems man, you got pretty nice delts.

YouTube- Lying Rear Delt Rows at Home
    Holy creepy as HELL!!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    You dont look like you have shoulder problems man, you got pretty nice delts.

YouTube- Lying Rear Delt Rows at Home
    if I do rear delt rows I rather do them standing bent over. After reading all these posts, I'm probably just going to continue to do rear delt rows or eated rear delt raises.

8. No one has mentioned Arnold Presses I've noticed. I guess they wouldn't be a good idea to add in though if I'm already doing military presses.
    Edit: never someone did mention them. I've wanted to try them for a long time, but the routine I'm doing is working so far, besides me having a solid rear delt exercise.

9. Try face pulls with your palms facing in rather than down. It really works to stabilize your shoulder, prevents injuries and works the rear delts. It is a great movement to help on many fronts

10. One thing I noticed is rear delt rows seem too easy. when I started I thought I'd try a db rear delt row with 20 lbs, I wound up using 30 lbs the first time ever doing them.

11. I was wondering, while the other external rotators (infraspinatus, teres minor) assist the posterior deltoid in transverse extension (rear delt rowing), wouldn't the long head of the tricep help the posterior deltoid with hyperextension since it also attaches up on the scapula?

I wonder how elbow bend plays into this. Like, if we kept the elbow straight (kind of like the top of a triceps kickback) would this make the head be overactively insufficient? Whereas the muscle would be longer if the elbow bends and more able to help the posterior deltoid hyperextend.

Edit: I think it's fine as long as you can handle how it will tax other muscles. A bent elbow means we can pull more weight, so that's more for the lower back to support if standing, and more compression on the chest (and difficulty breathing) if laying the chest on a bench.
    That and the biceps might get tired if we started pulling in close, probably self-correcting with dumbbells since they won't flex as much.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. rear delt form
    By NJbreed in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 12:24 AM
  2. post ur fav rear delt lift
    By Brolic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
  3. Best for rear delt mass?
    By handzilla in forum Training Forum