Anyone do handstand pushup work?

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
If so, how do you like to incorporate them into an overall pressing or upper body routine? I dig them, they def are an efficient/fun movement, under-rated perhaps eh?

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Handstand pushups are probably better for impressing your friends than actual physique development. ;)

I think I could do them if I could ever do a handstand. lol

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
Well in my case I cant do *freestanding* HSPU's lol, I kip up along the wall and have my heels lightly grazing along it as I press up n down. What makes you say they don't/can't significantly aid in physique development though? I would have to beg to differ...excellent movement for delts, traps, upperback/lats, upper chest, triceps, forearms n overall strength and stability. Granted, it is not easy to add resistance as one could to chins n dips for instance, you'd have to use a weight vest, also elevating hands on boxes and dipping past parallel makes it much more intense...freestanding is probably the most difficult but that deals with added balance moreso than just strength....but for most this is not a high-rep movement in even it's simplest BW form. It moves your body through 3 dimensions under resistance and engages a great deal of musculature at once. Are dips, chins, n squats not good for physique development either?? A HSPU is basically a squat for your arms n upperbody

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've tried the sliding up the wall thing before. Felt too awkward to me! haha

I'm sure if you could get to the point where you could do multiple hand stand push ups that you'd be in good shape, but if your goal is to improve your physique aesthetics, in my opinion the best way is with a good routine using weights (and dieting, of course). If I could do handstand push ups I wouldn't be doing them to build muscle.

If that's what you want to go for though, totally go for it. I'm sure if you do them you'd get better at controlling your own body weight. I just wouldn't do them solely for the purpose of building muscle or enhancing my physique.

Again, this is opinionated.

Peace

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
I used to be able to do them but now my balance sucks

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would do them 2 years ago when I couldn't get to the gym often, but if you want to hit the shoulders adequately you need to be leaning against a wall. Freestanding are much more chest involvement. They are like pushups with your legs above you! haha

Also, no, I don't see any need to do them.

drvinnybombat

Awards
CrossFit uses handstand push-ups, but it's not for everyone. It sounds crazy, but find an open space and try to do it like a gymnast. Don't start with the wall. So you'll need to know how to roll if you miss. Heres some info...

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Gymnastics

Personally, the handstands along with a couple of Olympic lifts is where I think CrossFiters have lost their mind a little. Unless you're really into complex gymnastics movements just try a pike (push-up will high elevated legs).

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
Yeah, I've tried the sliding up the wall thing before. Felt too awkward to me! haha

I'm sure if you could get to the point where you could do multiple hand stand push ups that you'd be in good shape, but if your goal is to improve your physique aesthetics, in my opinion the best way is with a good routine using weights (and dieting, of course). If I could do handstand push ups I wouldn't be doing them to build muscle.

If that's what you want to go for though, totally go for it. I'm sure if you do them you'd get better at controlling your own body weight. I just wouldn't do them solely for the purpose of building muscle or enhancing my physique.

Again, this is opinionated.

Peace
Oh for sure I hear ya, n hope I didn't come off argumentative- just curious what your thoughts were n why. I agree/share your opinion that for strength n physique development weight training is the key, I see things like HSPU's more as a supplementary thing to condition muscles that may not get called into play as much etc, or def for if you cant get to the gym or any equipment/traveling etc. My point essentially is just that they are pretty convenient for this purpose and are intense for a BW movement