Switching from a strength to a mass routine

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I have never known anyone who trained purely for strength until now, my friend has been training for 8 months, really 6 months cause it was on and off, his muscles are so flat you wouldnt even think he has ever trained at all but he is benching about 65KG(his routine is mainly focused on lower body than upper body) and squating about 100 or 120KG. This is from 3x5 starting strength. People at his gym raise an eyebrow when they help him add weight after his warmup set and I would too if I didn't know him.

He wants to cut in a few months and I told him he should switch to a mass routine to put on some mass before the cut to raise his metabolic rate and to get some shape.

I am wondering if he will gain mass really fast because he has a good strength base for his size or will the mass gains be typical as though he hadn't done a lot of strength training?

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
His diet will dictate his mass gains.. he needs to increase calories to put on size

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
yes his excessive strength prior to bulking should allow him to push more weight which is crucial to building mass

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
Starting Strength is a very solid, proven routine, and I don't see the need for him to switch yet as I'm sure he has plenty of gains left to make on it.

If he just stepped up his eating he could easily "look" like he lifted weights on that routine. There's countless transformations out there for those who have done the program.