WHAT'S IN YOUR IPOD???

nyoung807

Awards
  • Established
What gets you F******* stoked and ready to smash some f******* iron?

-Metallica
-Pantera
-Rage Against The Machine
-Breaking Benjamin

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum myself. I personally listen to more of hardcore techno... But to each their own, whatever gets you bypassing that pain threshold! And my ipod is 160Gig so chock full o' movies for long night sessions of cardio as well :)

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Ill throw some hardcore dance on if I'm jacked up on a load of caffeine & 1,3 geranium s**t. Makes me lift hard and heavy and bounce around between sets. I work out at about 7pm though, so can't do that often cos I can't sleep after!
Always been a metalhead at heart though........

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Transplants, cypress hill, rage, hed (pe), DJ tiesto, rammstein, Lars fredrickson, manson... good stuff :)

nyoung807

Awards
  • Established
The Effects of Music on Exercise

Introduction
In a previous review of literature on music and exercise (Kravitz, 1994), a physiological approach was undertaken to investigate the evidence-based findings of different types of music on physical strength, gait, endurance performance, and motor skill acquisition. The current article will review the ergogenic and psychophysiological effects of music and exercise. In addition, impressions and observations on the impact music has had on the fitness industry from some world leaders in exercise are summarized in Side Bar 1. Although many scientific questions about music and exercise have been answered since the previous review, it could be argued that more questions about the mechanisms of music and movement are still unanswered.

Music Promotes Movement: Putting Theory to the Test
Four of the main ways in which music may facilitate exercise performance include, #1) a reduction in the sensation of fatigue, #2) an increase in levels of mental arousal, #3) an improvement of motor coordination, and #4) an increase in relaxation (Szabo, Small, and Leigh, 1999). With the reduction in sensation of fatigue hypothesis (#1), it is felt that music prevents the exerciser from focusing on specific physical sensations of fatigue. It has been proposed that this mechanism is much more effective at lower exercise intensities. At higher intensities, the body’s internal cues of fatigue have a greater influence over the musical fatigue interference (Karageorghis and Terry, 1997). With the increase in levels of arousal theory (#2), the model predicts that altering the mind’s arousal state with music will result in an increased exercise performance, as if the music is ‘psyching’ one up to perform exercise better (Karageorghis and Terry, 1997). The improvement in motor coordination (#3) construct suggests that some types of (rhythmic) music will improve, augment or enhance gross motor tasks, thus improving exercise performance. In the increase in relaxation supposition (#4), the idea is that some of the byproduct molecules of high level exercise, such as acidosis and elevated hormones (which contribute to fatigue), may somehow be dampened by music, thus enhancing performance (Szmedra and Bacharach, 1998).

In testing this last construct, Szmedra and Bacharach had 10 healthy well-trained males complete two 15-minute treadmill trials at 70% of VO2max. In one trial the subjects listened to classical music (Hooked on Classes #3), and the second trial was a control with no music. Because plasma lactate and norepinephrine have been identified as indices of exercise stress, Szmedra and Baccharach measured these components along with heart rate, blood pressure and perceived exertion during the treadmill running. The results of this study showed statistically significant decreases in heart rate, systolic blood pressure, perceived exertion ratings and lactate levels when individuals listened to music during the treadmill test. Though the levels of norepinephrine were slightly lower in the group who listened to music, they were not statistically significant. The authors suggested that music has the ability to interfere with unpleasant stimuli and sensations associated with exercise. Not only can music allow individuals to perceive their exertion to be less, it can influence metabolic (acidosis) and hemodynamic (heart rate and blood pressure) components.

To test some of the other theories how music improves exercise performance, Szabo and colleagues (1999) studied the effects of slow-rhythm and fast-rhythm classical music on progressive cycling exercise to voluntary physical exhaustion. The 12 male and 12 female subjects in the study listened to slow music, fast music, slow to fast music, and fast to slow music with a control of no music. For the slow to fast and fast to slow trials, once a subject’s heart rate reached 70% of maximal reserve, the tempo was adjusted either slow to fast, or fast to slow. It should be noted that symphony music was utilized in this study and that the fast music was two times faster than the slow music. The investigators found that the participants in the slow to fast intervention completed a slightly higher (and statistically significant) exercise workload than all other study conditions. The authors proposed that this study suggests that music may provide a temporary distracting effect to some of the body’s internal cues associated with tiredness. A recent study by Yamasita and colleagues (2006) with 8 males performing a 30-minute submaximal cycle ergometer exercise bout for 30 minutes at 40% VO2max and one at 60% VO2max substantiates this finding. The researchers found that when the subjects listened to self-selected favorite music during the 40% VO2max, they had lower ratings of perceived exertion than the control situation (no music); however, the music did not show this effect during the 60% VO2max trial. Adding to this, North and Hargreaves (2000) suggest that the choice of music needs to provide a sufficient stimulus to be able to sustain and optimize this state of mental and physical arousal.

Practical Application: Research findings suggests that the introduction of music to a workout routine can allow the individual to continue to exercise with a greater efficiency. Individuals can increase workload or time to exhaustion. Despite a lack of understanding of the exact mechanism of this phenomenon, music can act as a motivator for individuals, helping to distract them from uncomfortable physical sensations of exercise (such as acidosis). Having clients listen to their favorite self-selected music choices during challenging exercise is a favorable application fitness professionals have employed for years.:bryce:

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
the song from the opening credits of "the pacific" on hbo

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tupac, Nas, Jayz, Maino, Sticky Fingaz, DMX, D-Block...that gangsta ish

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Justin Timberlake, Justin Bieber, Any and all country as well as some Reggaton and occasionally i'll bust out the Nsync and Backstreet Boys CD's once i need to break through a barrier its get it done most certaintly

nyoung807

Awards
  • Established
Backstreet boys? nsync? Wow man that's some heavy stuff.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
What gets you F******* stoked and ready to smash some f******* iron?

-Metallica
-Pantera
-Rage Against The Machine
-Breaking Benjamin

im guessing some type of memory chip or something.. as far as whats loaded on my ipod to listen too, GUCCI MANE, DMX, TuPAC! all that ****

crazym

Awards
amon amarth, disturbed, five finger death punch, 12 stones, trivium, hatebreed, cradle of filth, drowning pool, rammstein, hammerfall etc

Gaxiola

Banned
Awards
immortal technique!!!!!!
this dude is hardcore.
if you havent heard him you have to listen to dance with the devil

deadlift18

Awards
Alot of what most people would consider screaming music(hatebreed,trivium...etc.) and lots of killswitch engage, five finger deathpunch, rob zombie, korn, and anything with awesome double bass drums

dstarkey

Awards
The Acacia Strain, August Burns Red, The Ghost Inside, RECON, OCEANO

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eminem has two new songs out that do the job...

Despicable
Not Afraid

arfcommer

Awards
Deftones
Tool
In Flames
Pantera
Isis

To name a few :)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Alot of what most people would consider screaming music(hatebreed...)
Damn that brings back memories... I need to get myself some of the old records I used to have... Hatebreed, Shai'Hulud, Integrity, Strife, 59 Times the Pain, The Refused, By the Grace of God, etc etc... those were the good ol hXc days

I've mostly been into a lot of dnb, dubstep, heavy electro these days

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Hatebreed
Slipknot
He is Legend
MF DOOM
Taproot
Ted Nugent
Aesop Rock
Bob Dylan
Rage Against the Machine
The Knife
I'm a music buff, the list goes on and on...

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
im guessing some type of memory chip or something.. as far as whats loaded on my ipod to listen too, GUCCI MANE, DMX, TuPAC! all that ****
I don't see how you can listen to Gucci....:nono2: Pac and Dmx yes but Gucci?

dstarkey

Awards
Damn that brings back memories... I need to get myself some of the old records I used to have... Hatebreed, Shai'Hulud, Integrity, Strife, 59 Times the Pain, The Refused, By the Grace of God, etc etc... those were the good ol hXc days

I've mostly been into a lot of dnb, dubstep, heavy electro these days

Strife, Integrity and Shai Hulud for sure bro. Damn.....now I think I'm gonna go listen to some of that.

nyoung807

Awards
  • Established
this thread is giving me new ideas for my ipod. old mudvayne was good too. They suck now but that first CD with "dig" on it really got you jacked.

Pump3dup

Awards
Alot of what most people would consider screaming music(hatebreed,trivium...etc.) and lots of killswitch engage, five finger deathpunch, rob zombie, korn, and anything with awesome double bass drums
I second this. Of course Disturbed, and Slipknot get special mention as well.

viralencore84

Awards
Pantera, Robzombie, Metallica, Lamb of God, and Mudvayne

Codeman35

Awards
Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Metallica, Godsmack

permanabol

Awards
folk metal anyone?? (Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Windir etc.)
and I get chopped and screwed old swishahouse/ screw wouldn't get you too pumped rap wise lol. But Paul Walls "the way I am freestyle" is pretty damn good just for chilling to.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I change up the music genre I listen to back and forth between rap and techno (the bass and beats get you pumped). Never got into the hard rock.

One of my fav's for working out right now is called "Ghosts n stuff" by deadmau5 ft. rob swire ......this song gets me hyped up lol.

Two other good ones I like ri-now are by kevin rudolph "welcome to the world" and "I made it"

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
barry manilow, neil diamond, seals and croft...they just push me past those plateaus :dance: