Effective rep range for mass?

vernymac12

Awards
im runnning a cycle right now and am dieting as well, i was at the gym today going through my usual and i ran into a guy who is a professional body builder, natural, and he was telling me that the 8-12 rep range is what i need to gein size...im doing 4-6 as heavy as i can, ik that helps strength but i thought it was for size as well, how he explained was higher reps allows for more blood to reach the muscle and cause it to expand more...is this correct? if so im gouing to be trying to change my workout routine??

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Everybody reacts differently. For some an effective rep range is 8-12, for some its 6-8, for some its 4-6. Experiment and find what works for you. Hell even change it up week-to-week. wk1 4-6, wk2 6-8, wk3 8-12.

I try and switch up reps per exercise. 1st compound lift might be 4-6, followed by my next lift which would be 6-8, and then finishing off the muscle with a range of 8-12-15.
I also change up recovery time for each exercise.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A lot of times if I'm doing an exercise such as say, barbell rows, my first set will be 10ish, then 8ish, then 6ish, then 4-6ish.

Switch it up! Like lonewolf said, experiment to see what works best for you.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
4 sets 8-12 reps for mass.
8-12 sets, 3-4reps for mass.

Both work. There is no "magic formula" that works for everybody, or that works forever in one person.
anybody can make up any combination. hate to tell you OP but YOU need to see what works for you. i've done high and low. design a program and see how it goes.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
anybody can make up any combination. hate to tell you OP but YOU need to see what works for you. i've done high and low. design a program and see how it goes.
Yes! Sometimes people won't accept that they're going to have to do some personal research.

Learn to get in tune with your own body. You'll thank yourself later. People who follow other people's routines to the letter are destined to run into problems at some point.

Follow a set program, fine, then eventually you tweak it to suit your own needs. Take what works and keep running with that. If you try something new and it doesn't suit you, ditch it. Certain exercises work great for some people and not as great for others. Keep adding all this up until you figure out what works best for you. Trail and error, my friend.

Good luck bro!

vernymac12

Awards
alright i gotcha, i changed up today doin 3 sets of 8-10, i could definately tell a difference in my pumps when i did this, we will see how this does for a while...

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I love the 10-8-6-15 routine. It works great, and finishing off with 15 reps gives you an awesome pump.