Squats and deadlift....

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.17%

Squats and deadlift....

So tonight I decided to try squats and deadlift for the first time. I've been working out regularly for 2 and a half months now, and I'm very happy with results so far. I'm 5'11, 180, 13.3% bf and started at 198 and 21.2% bf. The last time I actually lifted consistently was in 2004. (Car wreck derailed me for a good while, lol.) Anyways, I was alone at the gym tonight and decided to try them using the Smith Machine for both.

I maxed at 295x3 for squats and 315x1 for deadlift. I've already read that the Smith machine isn't great for squats, but like I said, I was the only person in the gym and didn't wanna get hurt if I couldn't go back up. (I put the locks at the bottom or my ribs while standing and hit bottom before lifting back up, so it wasn't those drop 3-5 inches and lift again squats.)

Mainly I'm asking is this decent, good, crap, or what?? Why do I feel so dismal and disappointed after it? Or should I be happy with that for a first time lift?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

I have never did dead lifts nor squats with a smith machine. It is great that you are expanding and experiencing new exercises. Those two exercises are great, but to benefit the most out of both, use free weights. In my opinion it is really hard to achieve perfect form when the bar is stationary, unable to really follow your formation.

Be happy that you tried something new and no it is not crap. In my opinion the potential for injury is higher with the smith machine than the free bar. Give the free bar a try and you will notice how different your form must be and how much more beneficial it will be.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.25%

that's pretty good. I am 5'8 and 173lbs I rep 10x275 which took a while to get used to. Do it right, do it tight!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.17%

Thanks...I stopped at 3 with the squats but felt I could do a few more. I tried 315 and just couldn't get it back up after hitting bottom. I have a few friends that I can work out with and get help from. But tonight I was just bored and decided to try it. After doing them though...I just felt like crap and went home. My body just doesn't feel right for some reason. The only thing I did before them was 30 minutes on the bike (interval and intensity), dips on the assisted pull-up machine, 100x15, and preacher curls 90x4 twice. I just don't know why I feel so crappy now and kinda disappointed with the lifts.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  156 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.59%

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    So tonight I decided to try squats and deadlift for the first time. I've been working out regularly for 2 and a half months now, and I'm very happy with results so far. I'm 5'11, 180, 13.3% bf and started at 198 and 21.2% bf. The last time I actually lifted consistently was in 2004. (Car wreck derailed me for a good while, lol.) Anyways, I was alone at the gym tonight and decided to try them using the Smith Machine for both.

I maxed at 295x3 for squats and 315x1 for deadlift. I've already read that the Smith machine isn't great for squats, but like I said, I was the only person in the gym and didn't wanna get hurt if I couldn't go back up. (I put the locks at the bottom or my ribs while standing and hit bottom before lifting back up, so it wasn't those drop 3-5 inches and lift again squats.)

Mainly I'm asking is this decent, good, crap, or what?? Why do I feel so dismal and disappointed after it? Or should I be happy with that for a first time lift?
    thats cool, when I started learning to do squats/deadlifts I made sure to do it with a barbell and basically use either the 'fake practice' weights or just the bar to begin with so I could get my form, then gradually added weight each week once I was comfortable with the movements.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.74%

Squats and deads are great additions to your workout. Lighten up the weight and work on your form to get it right. If your the only one in the gym, use a video camera to record yourself so you can critique your form. I would not use the smith machine for either exercise, especially deads (never seen or heard if this).
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You felt kind of crappy because you probably haven't ever taxed your body that way before. Like said above, do them on regular squat rack. They have safety pins so if you can't get back up then they will catch you. But you don't need to be doing that much weight while you learn the form. I wouldn't go over 135 on squat. Do 3-4 sets of 12-15 quality reps. Thighs should go to parallel.

And deadlifts on a smith are nearly impossible to do properly.

Check out Mark Rippetoe teaching squat and deadlift technique on youtube. Invaluable training info.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

get off the damn machine and do them the real way...AFTER learning proper form. and please dont do both on the same day
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.05%

i dead lift often i do not even understand how you could do deads in a smith machine.i would think that would be hard on your back.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.17%

I talked to a friend at the gym today and he said that was pretty good for the first time. But to do the same ya'll said, go light, learn the proper form, then gradually work my way up. I appreciate the advice and help. I'm sure I'll be asking some more things as time goes on....

And dead lifting last night with that damn machine killed my back...no more for a while unless it's really light weight.
  11. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
    and please dont do both on the same day
    Curious as to why you suggest that. My current routine is loosely based on Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength, and in his plans he calls for a day of 3x5 Squat, 2x5 Bench, 3x5 Deads. Physically taxing, but not to the point where I feel my workout suffers, and results have been good.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    Curious as to why you suggest that. My current routine is loosely based on Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength, and in his plans he calls for a day of 3x5 Squat, 2x5 Bench, 3x5 Deads. Physically taxing, but not to the point where I feel my workout suffers, and results have been good.
    x2

I used to squat then DL for like 2 years.

OP, youtube squat / DL technique and form. Practice with lower weight until you got it down pretty good otherwise you can get hurt pretty quick.

Its not cool to be the guy in the gym doing repping 315 above paralell squats with knees buckling. Hey may be moving weight but Im a fan of lowering the weight and doing it right
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.28%

Using free weight for squats n deads would be better in terms of safety n effectiveness- granted you use manageable weight n decent form... so yes observe some instructional vids on form and if you squat in a power rack you can set the catchers on the sides in case you bottom out...but use lighter weight for a lil higher reps n get the feel down; not using a weight that you can't finish the set with. These are both challenging exercises... personally I am not yet able to use "big" weight with these exercises at all and I've been training off n on for a couple years now! but I experience growth from utilizing them more in recent times and enjoy them in fact, they are the Kings no doubt...just gotta ease into em and be pateint with yourself, so I also chime in to say you should get acquainted with the barbell versions- and also props to you for venturing into their territory~ Also a pair of gloves with aid your grip with the deadlift and this is helpful! And read up on proper breathing for each!
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
    get off the damn machine and do them the real way...AFTER learning proper form. and please dont do both on the same day
    What is your logic behind that statement?
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    What is your logic behind that statement?
    I was thinking the same thing.

I have performed dead lifts with squats on leg day and other times with back day. Pairing with either day seemed to work fine for me.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.27%

I like bodybuilding because it's like no other sport. You can't blame a referee, can't say anyone cheated, and can't get accused of having an advantage over anyone else. Your opponent is yourself- as long as you improve you always face a faster and stronger opponent.
    Guys will quote workouts from other people and post videos- or get into debates about when to do what exercises. Trial and error.
    If you benefit from squats and deads on the same day, go for it. If you're not improving try something else. As long as you have a logical reasoning, you should see some benefit.
    This is how new programs develop. Hell- keep a log and let us know how you progress.
    Just my opinion.
    Good luck.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  152 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.27%

Quote Originally Posted by Dcell22 View Post
    Also a pair of gloves with aid your grip with the deadlift and this is helpful!
    Noo. Your grip will get stronger as your dead progresses. The grip work is a benefit of doing the deadlift. Use a mixed grip (one under one over)
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.28%

Quote Originally Posted by doingwork30 View Post
    Noo. Your grip will get stronger as your dead progresses. The grip work is a benefit of doing the deadlift. Use a mixed grip (one under one over)
    Good point, wasn't giving that enough thought when making that suggestion

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squats vs. Hack Squats
    By gunzblazin1x in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM
  2. Parallel Squats versus Ass-to-grass squats
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM
  3. Barbell hack squats vs. machine hack squats
    By islandmagic in forum Training Forum