Cardio Before and After Lifting

Cubate

Awards
I have tried intense cardio before and after lifting.
When I have before it always gives me an explosive edge during lifting.
When i try it afterward I recover much faster.

My new routine includes both.
3 mile run pre lifting, followed by a 2 mile cycle on a stationary bike.
It kicks the crap out of lactic acid and it gives an incredible surge if energy during lifting.

deadlift18

Awards
sounds f***ing crazy to me i stick with cardio after my friend.

deadlift18

Awards
you also better be eating a crap load of food to keep from having NO muscle.

Cubate

Awards
Cardio is catabolic if that's what your getting at.
NFL players and other pro athletes do RUN to stay in shape... In fact many NAVY Seals that are as fit and ripped beyond what the eyes can see do run as many as 30 miles per week....
I ve been training cardio and weights for a little over a year this way and have actually burned FAT and gained muscle!!!
My post was intended to extend to the fact that cardio generates do increase testosterone levels and does flush lactic acid build up in the muscles. You will see American Olympic Snowboarders on stationary bikes to do just that.... I know exactly how to build muscle and anyone that argues that running a measly 3 miles before lifting weights is too catabolic just doesn't know much about being fit...IMO.

deadlift18

Awards
you said nothing about raising testosterone levels in your original post.

Vengeance187

Vengeance187

Awards
My post was intended to extend to the fact that cardio generates do increase testosterone levels
I'm pretty sure it decreases test...
Lifting heavy is what increases test.
I just get weaker if I do cardio before my heavy lifts. What rep range do you workout in exactly?

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you can run 3 miles and then lift, no doubt you're in good shape, just don't expect to put on a lot of muscle mass doing this. If putting on mass is your goal, I suggest running earlier in the days and then lifting several hours later after you've had some food. If you're just looking to stay in overall good shape, you can get by with what you're doing, though I'd still separate cardio and lifting. For example, you could do your cardio in the mornings then lift later on in the day after you've had some food intake.

Peace

Cubate

Awards
I'm pretty sure it decreases test...
Lifting heavy is what increases test.
I just get weaker if I do cardio before my heavy lifts. What rep range do you workout in exactly?
I rep to exhaustion.
And studies point to increases in test.
Google it..
MayoClinic did a study on this.
Cardio is the best lactic acid reducer on the planet.

deadlift18

Awards
So the point of you posting that do a crazy amount of cardio before and after working out is?

Vengeance187

Vengeance187

Awards
I rep to exhaustion.
And studies point to increases in test.
Google it..
And that would be approximately how many reps? Exhaustion can be in 5 reps or 50 reps...

The only thing I can find is that "high intensity"(like HIIT) cardio can increase test, not steady state(like jogging 3 miles). Steady state cardio lowers test. It looks like you do low intensity, steady state cardio.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Sometimes I play basketball to get my blood flowing before my sessions and whenever I play too long or get in an intense game my session afterwards is always sad. Less weight, reps feel like more work. I agree with Type O Hero, separate them for maximum efficiency.

Cubate

Awards
I jog for 32 minutes like HIIT.
I joh at 150 BPM then sprint for 40 seconds. My BPM increases to 170.
Then I bring my heart rate down to 140 for 3 minutes.
Catabolic exercise is characterized by cardio sessions laying more than 1 hour.
All NFL athletes do at least 30 minutes of cardio prior to weight lifting and most do more.
My point is that for my training routine it gives me loads of energy in the gym and reduces lactic acid.
Today i worked out chest.
All lifts were performed at 50% of weight maximum or light weight.
Reps are 12 to 15.
I hold all reps for 2 seconds.