Deadlifts 3x8 are killing me....what do YOU do?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Deadlifts 3x8 are killing me....what do YOU do?

I usually start my back routine with deads 3x8, then some pull ups, then BB rows 3x8...

Lately I've been adding 5-10 pounds on deads and still getting 3x8, but afterwards I can barely hit 3x8 for rows and haven't added any weight for a few weeks. And my pull ups have been embarrassing as well

Tonight for deads I did 415 x 8 x 2, then 420 x 8, and had to lay on the bench for a good 3-4 min to get my heart rate down and catch my breath, then pace around probably another 5 min before trying rows, which I immediately said "F this" on the first rep.

So now I only did 3x8 on deads and that was my back day.....that doesn't seem like much....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
    True story:

I give a f**K!!

2. n87
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.28%

I do my deads at the very end. Weighted pullups, then BB rows, curls, hmr curls and then deadlofts.
    If I did them at the beginning I'd be spent.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.62%

I do deads first on my pull day ... have you looked at your warm up sets leading up to your working 3x8?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.2%

I do 3x5-6 But I have been having the same problem as you when I get done with heavy deads. Maybe its time to take a week off and regain compusure, let your body fully recover. That should help somewhat. Also make sure you get proper pre workout nutrition.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.14%

I have a day when I do deads, abs, cardio, and stretching. followed by at least 2 days of no lower back usage, giving my back max. recovery time. Change-up your routine where there's a couple days between your heavy pulling day and your deadlifts.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by killamac27 View Post
    I do 3x5-6 But I have been having the same problem as you when I get done with heavy deads. Maybe its time to take a week off and regain compusure, let your body fully recover. That should help somewhat. Also make sure you get proper pre workout nutrition.
    I was thinking the same, sounds like a recovery issue.

I do deads last tho
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

FACEBOOK FAN PAGE:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Applie...ls/64122223218
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.9%

Do deads last or close to last, less chance of injury after you're nice and warmed up from the other back exercises!
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.27%

I stretch, do a couple of LIGHT warmups with deads, a medium weight set of 8-10, then 3x8 heavy. Kills me! Then I do barbell or tbar rows, then pulldowns or seated cable rows, then shrugs (bar or dumbbells ). Because of such a heavy day, I do forearms on back day too. All done- about 50-60 min.
    For me, deads and rows MAKE my back day.
    Look forward to others training.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.27%

put them at the end
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Aighty....next time I'll do them last and see how it goes....if not good then I'll make a back day then a "deadlift back day"...

Thanks for all the advice!!
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.68%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Do them in the beginning. Start with about 10 minutes of light cardio to get the CV and CNS systems warm. Then, do dynamic stretches followed by several (3-5) sets of warm-ups. I generally don't go above 5 reps on any sets of deadlifts as it is a strength exercise and form tends to get really crappy as the erectors begin to fatigue.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.64%

I do them in the middle. That allows some time to get myself warmed up, yet still have tons of energy to pour into it. After deads, I take some time and work on something simple on my lower body, or something specific on my back that uses light weight. That allows my CNS and body to recover before going into the next heavy left.

DEADLIFT
    -then one of the following-
    Calf raises
    rear flys
    side delt raises
    etc.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.59%

i would personally never go over 5 reps... hell i wouldnt go over 3 but for Bodybuilders i dont think they would like that advice lol
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.19%
    Achievements Posting Pro

if youre looking for general muscle hypertrophy, you need not go under 8 or so reps.. those who said not to make it the first exercise i agree with because: 1. you want your muscle bellies nice and warm first; and 2. you will be too fried to efficiently do other exercises if you do deads out the gate
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.66%

Deads>all other back excercises IMO..
    Just rest alot And warm up good 3 set of working dead sets took me about 25 min +or-
    Maybe I can do them first because of my young testosterone levels lol
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.59%

Quote Originally Posted by bezoe View Post
    if youre looking for general muscle hypertrophy, you need not go under 8 or so reps.. those who said not to make it the first exercise i agree with because: 1. you want your muscle bellies nice and warm first; and 2. you will be too fried to efficiently do other exercises if you do deads out the gate
    why would u wanna do deads at the end when it adds the most mass? I dont see the logic in going heavy on pulldowns then go to deads?
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.54%

Eat more,sleep more, Deadlift first, switch workouts. 1st back day heavy deadlifts+1 arm rows or t-bar rows. Next work out, speed work+rows+pull ups. Try adding a bit of cardio through the week if you persist in doing high rep deads as well.
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.72%

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    i would personally never go over 5 reps... hell i wouldnt go over 3 but for Bodybuilders i dont think they would like that advice lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Do them in the beginning. Start with about 10 minutes of light cardio to get the CV and CNS systems warm. Then, do dynamic stretches followed by several (3-5) sets of warm-ups. I generally don't go above 5 reps on any sets of deadlifts as it is a strength exercise and form tends to get really crappy as the erectors begin to fatigue.
    i was thinking the same thing, if you're doing deads the correct way, getting 8 reps would be hell unless the weight was very light, then you wouldn't be getting a good w/o anyway. maybe 6 to warm up but if i'm lifting/pulling and setting the bar down, setting my grip again and repeating by 8 reps i'd be toast. something tells me you're what we can a floor-bouncer. i have a buddy like that too, it's ok if that's how you want to do them but it's not correct. lift/pull, set the bar down, slightly let go of the bar and reset your grip and lift/pull again
  19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.68%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    i was thinking the same thing, if you're doing deads the correct way, getting 8 reps would be hell unless the weight was very light, then you wouldn't be getting a good w/o anyway. maybe 6 to warm up but if i'm lifting/pulling and setting the bar down, setting my grip again and repeating by 8 reps i'd be toast. something tells me you're what we can a floor-bouncer. i have a buddy like that too, it's ok if that's how you want to do them but it's not correct. lift/pull, set the bar down, slightly let go of the bar and reset your grip and lift/pull again
    So true. Most people do not approach deadlifts in the appropriate manner. It's not really a set of 5; it's a set of 5 singles.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.54%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    So true. Most people do not approach deadlifts in the appropriate manner. It's not really a set of 5; it's a set of 5 singles.
    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    When I do higher reps on DL I do this pace(although I use a traditional stance).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw5bg...ayer_embedded#!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71wjGK1xjm8"]YouTube- 330kg x 8 deadlift[/nomedia]
    I would not reset my grip every time. Only if the circulation is affected or my hands are too sweaty. You obviously use a lighter weight than what you would crank out 4-6 with...like with any other exercise you would be using higher reps with. If you are putting maximal force into ANY rep scheme, it will tire you out.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.41%

Quote Originally Posted by waynaferd View Post
    I usually start my back routine with deads 3x8, then some pull ups, then BB rows 3x8...

Lately I've been adding 5-10 pounds on deads and still getting 3x8, but afterwards I can barely hit 3x8 for rows and haven't added any weight for a few weeks. And my pull ups have been embarrassing as well

Tonight for deads I did 415 x 8 x 2, then 420 x 8, and had to lay on the bench for a good 3-4 min to get my heart rate down and catch my breath, then pace around probably another 5 min before trying rows, which I immediately said "F this" on the first rep.

So now I only did 3x8 on deads and that was my back day.....that doesn't seem like much....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
    In my personal experience, my back grew more when I did nothing but deadlift for over a year. No rows, no pull ups, nothing else but heavy deads. And I rarely pulled anything for over 3 reps during this time. 5 reps is still the most I'll pull.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.41%

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbinmuffin View Post
    Do deads last or close to last, less chance of injury after you're nice and warmed up from the other back exercises!
    So I'm going to wait and do my heaviest exercise at the end of my workout when my muscles are already fatigued and this will decrese my chance for injury? What issue of M&F did you get this nonsense out of? Go ask Chuck Vogelpohl or Brian Siders or Andy Bolton where the deadlift falls in their order of exercises. I'd bet my home it isn't last.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.9%

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhyde View Post
    So I'm going to wait and do my heaviest exercise at the end of my workout when my muscles are already fatigued and this will decrese my chance for injury? What issue of M&F did you get this nonsense out of? Go ask Chuck Vogelpohl or Brian Siders or Andy Bolton where the deadlift falls in their order of exercises. I'd bet my home it isn't last.

Hmmm, good point. I definitely don't want to warm up or anything. I'll just go straight in and kill it with some heavy ass weight. What's M&F?

And uhhh, what's it matter what the "Pros" do? I'm not AGG.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.41%

Hmmm, good point. I definitely don't want to warm up or anything. I'll just go straight in and kill it with some heavy ass weight. What's M&F?

And uhhh, what's it matter what the "Pros" do? I'm not AGG.
    Pretty sure I didn't say not to "warm up." But you can warm up adequately enough with a few light sets of deadlifts before you go "kill it with some heavy ass weight." And I would be inclined to follow the advice and example set by guys who have pulled a truckload of weight from the floor. Call me crazy. M&F is Muscle & Fitness.
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.54%

Warming up with lighter dead lifts is warming up FOR heavy dead lifts. Doing sets of other exercises first is "pre-exhausting" yourself and setting you up for light weights in the DL. Pretty ass backwards if your goal is being able to lift more on the dead lift and greater strength overall.
  26. vadox6466

do them in the beginning, but do them for only half the year
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.54%

Quote Originally Posted by vadox6466 View Post

No.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.41%

Why stop there? Just train half the year and take the other half to lay around on the couch watching reruns of Law and Order with a bag of Lay's. You will get huge and ripped and be strong as an ox. No need to train year round, much less do those extremely hard exercises like deadlifts and squats. They're for losers.
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.9%

Pretty sure I didn't say not to "warm up." But you can warm up adequately enough with a few light sets of deadlifts before you go "kill it with some heavy ass weight." And I would be inclined to follow the advice and example set by guys who have pulled a truckload of weight from the floor. Call me crazy. M&F is Muscle & Fitness.
    Well, I'm not arguing with your view. Actually, I was wrong with my previous post. I've done deads in the beginning, middle, and end. It really depends on how I feel. Regardless, I'm always sore as hell the following day.

I'm more of an MD guy myself, not so much MF =)
  30. vadox6466

Why stop there? Just train half the year and take the other half to lay around on the couch watching reruns of Law and Order with a bag of Lay's. You will get huge and ripped and be strong as an ox. No need to train year round, much less do those extremely hard exercises like deadlifts and squats. They're for losers.
    I meant alternate one month with deads and the next without, if you're worried about other exercises.

EDIT: or two months on, one off. something that works to your liking.
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.54%

I meant alternate one month with deads and the next without, if you're worried about other exercises.

EDIT: or two months on, one off. something that works to your liking.
    Still not effective if the goal is to increase the dead lift and maximal overall strength this is silly. At the most I would do every other workout.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.27%

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    Still not effective if the goal is to increase the dead lift and maximal overall strength this is silly. At the most I would do every other workout.
    Ditto. Might swap it for something once in a while, but it's a staple of my back training.
  33. vadox6466

well no shiit if the goal is to increase deadlift strength this is probably less than optimal. I'm saying if the guy is worried about strength in other exercises.
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.59%

what the hell no dont listen to this at all... so that means before i bench i should do skull crushers pulldowns some curls rotator cuff work and shoulder work that way im "warmed up" to bench? wtf??!?!

what you do is sretch up do the tredmill what ever your warm up is do it.. then start pulling 135 x 5 to warm up and add weight in anywhere from 30-70 pound incraments and pull to a hard 1-5 reps.. After that you can do whatever pulldowns rows and **** you want.... Dont do deadlifts last why the hell do whats best for you last?

matter of fact if you want a huge back
    Deadlifts
    Kroc Rows
    bent bar pulldowns (hits upper lats)
    mini band pull aparts (rear delts/upper back)

thats all ive done for a year and my back looks sweet and i powerlift not bodybuild and my back looks better and thicker/wider then most ppl at my golds gym. not trying to brag i know my bench and squat suck but i know how to train back
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.54%

well no shiit if the goal is to increase deadlift strength this is probably less than optimal. I'm saying if the guy is worried about strength in other exercises.
    Well no **** huh? DO you happen to fathom, that IF you increase the amount you can dead lift, and increase the volume of the dead lift (which is what he was doing, it seems his goal) that your other back related exercises would go up as well? Since you seem so uneducated on the subject, I would deem not. I mentioned the goal being overall strength.
    Imagine the exercise was squats. DO you think if his goal was to increase overall leg strength he should opt out of squats and do leg extensions and leg curls for half a year and expect his overall leg strength to go up? Ridiculous. You give away your lack of knowledge every time you post on this.
  36. vadox6466

Well no **** huh? DO you happen to fathom, that IF you increase the amount you can dead lift, and increase the volume of the dead lift (which is what he was doing, it seems his goal) that your other back related exercises would go up as well? Since you seem so uneducated on the subject, I would deem not. I mentioned the goal being overall strength.
    Imagine the exercise was squats. DO you think if his goal was to increase overall leg strength he should opt out of squats and do leg extensions and leg curls for half a year and expect his overall leg strength to go up? Ridiculous. You give away your lack of knowledge every time you post on this.
    The man was worried about his strength on follow up exercises immediately after deadlifting. The simple solution to do the other exercises optimally is to not deadlift.

If you tire yourself out deadlifting, you can't follow up with full intensity on the next exercises.
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I'm still waiting for back day to roll around, and when it does, I'm going to do the "minor" lifts, like pulldowns and rows and some other stuff, then a day or two after do the deadlifts, probably heavier but less reps.

I usually do 10 light reps, 5 heavier, then 3 more a bit heavier for warm up, and then do the working sets.

And I let them sit on the floor for a sec after a rep so its not bouncing.

There's definately a lot of opinions on this, so one way or another I will get a decent back workout done each week, with a little trial and error.

Thanks everybody!!
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.41%

The man was worried about his strength on follow up exercises immediately after deadlifting. The simple solution to do the other exercises optimally is to not deadlift.

If you tire yourself out deadlifting, you can't follow up with full intensity on the next exercises.
    Who cares how much weight they use on lat pulldowns or other back assistance exercises? I'm having a hard time following this logic of skipping deadlifts because they make you too tired or because you aren't able to use as much weight in other back movements. Deadlifts are king and will build more overall back size and thickness than ANY other movement. Why are some people so worried about making sure they get in their seated cable rows and chest-supported T-bar rows with heavier weight when no other exercise comes close to doing what deads do? It's like saying I'm not going to squat because I can't do leg extensions and lunges as heavy as I could do them if I didn't squat. Anyone else having a hard time making sense out of this? Or is it just still early on a Saturday morning and ol' Iron isn't awake yet?
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Who cares how much weight they use on lat pulldowns or other back assistance exercises? I'm having a hard time following this logic of skipping deadlifts because they make you too tired or because you aren't able to use as much weight in other back movements. Deadlifts are king and will build more overall back size and thickness than ANY other movement. Why are some people so worried about making sure they get in their seated cable rows and chest-supported T-bar rows with heavier weight when no other exercise comes close to doing what deads do? It's like saying I'm not going to squat because I can't do leg extensions and lunges as heavy as I could do them if I didn't squat. Anyone else having a hard time making sense out of this? Or is it just still early on a Saturday morning and ol' Iron isn't awake yet?
    Mostly my problem is....although I'm still adding weight to deads, but I've stalled on all other back exercises. After a set of deadlifts I'm beat and it seems to me that just doing deads on a back day isn't enough, ya know?

Now if you could only do a set of bench presses and that was it would that make a very good chest day? I'm thinking no....

But deads use a lot more muscles than bench, so I know a lot more is getting worked in one fell swoop.

But anyway I wanna do more than just deadlifts on back day but don't wanna lose much intensity on the deads.

So 2 back days doing different things is the plan.....

Thanks for your replies, though!
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.54%

Except for the fact that he wants to keep the intensity on Dead lifts AND increase strength on other lifts. He seems to want to keep adding weight to them as well. Which if their was a happy medium between both of our perspectives it would be 1 week on 1 week off. Or what I mentioned in my original post in this thread. He will get stronger both mentally and physically and learn to push himself past simply saying f this after deads. Every one does eventually.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dumbbell Deadlifts or Smith Machine Deadlifts?
    By Dath in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 04:40 PM
  2. HGH.. killing my sleep!
    By Whacked in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 09:03 AM
  3. Joints killing me...GH?
    By SD1959 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 10:17 AM
  4. IGF is killing me!!