Ab work out questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.83%

Ab work out questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the best ab rutine to get ripped abs for the summer!

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I don't have a recommendation for a routine, but I I do hope you have your diet in-check. Almost more important than the exercises.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.51%

Yup, in order for the 6 pack to show, you have to have low BF %.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Diet cardio > "ab" routines
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Diet cardio > "ab" routines
    Well ya all the diet and cardio is needed for a six pack you still have to do a ab routine.. abs are muscles they need to be worked just like everything else haha

I like to do some super sets with abs
    Do 30 sit ups
    20 leg lifts
    a minute of planks, 20 seconds on ur belly side,then 20 on both sides
    then do 60 cross crunches
    Follow me on instagram for:Workout advice and tips, Diet pics, Inspirational pics, And best....pics of me!!!! haha
    INSTAGRAM: GUN_WALKER3
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Deeerdre View Post
    Well ya all the diet and cardio is needed for a six pack you still have to do a ab routine.. abs are muscles they need to be worked just like everything else haha

I like to do some super sets with abs
    Do 30 sit ups
    20 leg lifts
    a minute of planks, 20 seconds on ur belly side,then 20 on both sides
    then do 60 cross crunches
    You do not need to train your abs to make them visible.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    I don't have a recommendation for a routine, but I I do hope you have your diet in-check. Almost more important than the exercises.
    Yep, lowering your body fat is the most important thing. You don't even have to have great abdominal development from them to show if your body fat is low enough. There are plenty of skinny dudes with abs just due to them having such low body fat percentages. Of course if your abs are more developed they'll look a lot better once you get your body fat down.

As far as working them out, here's what I recommend doing:

Warm up with roman chairs before every workout. Not necessarily enough to call it an ab workout, but enough to get the blood flowing. It's important to get the CNS warmed up before you start working out and roman chairs are a good way to do it. Also, if you're going to be training abs that day, roman chairs at the beginning of your workout will get your abs warmed up. On days that you don't train abs you can still do the roman chairs as part of your warm up (I average 5 minutes worth, not necessarily 5 minutes straight though) and not really have to worry about overtraining your abs. Just use your instincts here, you get the idea.

As far as specifically training abs, I usually train them 2-3 times per week and usually don't do any more than 100 total reps (you don't have to do hundreds and hundreds of crunches all the time to get good results). I may do a couple sets of crunches, then some reverse crunches on an incline (about 100 reps worth all together). It's important to not be fast and choppy with your movements; be under control, feel the muscles contracting and make every rep a deliberate one. Afterward I finish off with standing bent-over side twists (for obliques) using a light bar across my back - steady your pelvis and bend at the sides, squeezing at the extremes of the movement; this is a great obliques exercise because it keeps them tight and doesn't make them big. Try doing stomach vacuums after each set of abs for about 20 seconds!

Just train your abs when they feel "fresh," don't overdo it and make every rep count and you'll get better development if you stay consistent with it. Lower your body fat and you'll see more of what you've got.

Peace
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.44%

honestly i feel that yes diet is important everyone knows that, if you don't you need to learn to read. I also feel that you should not work abs more than 1 or POSSIBLY 2x a week if your doing deadlifts or other power moves because your core tenses up and in my opinion that works just fine for abs. You can train them too much. and if you train them year round they can also grow out which im not a fan of.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.29%

Dragonflags, ab wheel, hanging leg raises, and as stated above, very strict diet.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    Yep, lowering your body fat is the most important thing. You don't even have to have great abdominal development from them to show if your body fat is low enough. There are plenty of skinny dudes with abs just due to them having such low body fat percentages. Of course if your abs are more developed they'll look a lot better once you get your body fat down.

As far as working them out, here's what I recommend doing:

Warm up with roman chairs before every workout. Not necessarily enough to call it an ab workout, but enough to get the blood flowing. It's important to get the CNS warmed up before you start working out and roman chairs are a good way to do it. Also, if you're going to be training abs that day, roman chairs at the beginning of your workout will get your abs warmed up. On days that you don't train abs you can still do the roman chairs as part of your warm up (I average 5 minutes worth, not necessarily 5 minutes straight though) and not really have to worry about overtraining your abs. Just use your instincts here, you get the idea.

As far as specifically training abs, I usually train them 2-3 times per week and usually don't do any more than 100 total reps (you don't have to do hundreds and hundreds of crunches all the time to get good results). I may do a couple sets of crunches, then some reverse crunches on an incline (about 100 reps worth all together). It's important to not be fast and choppy with your movements; be under control, feel the muscles contracting and make every rep a deliberate one. Afterward I finish off with standing bent-over side twists (for obliques) using a light bar across my back - steady your pelvis and bend at the sides, squeezing at the extremes of the movement; this is a great obliques exercise because it keeps them tight and doesn't make them big. Try doing stomach vacuums after each set of abs for about 20 seconds!

Just train your abs when they feel "fresh," don't overdo it and make every rep count and you'll get better development if you stay consistent with it. Lower your body fat and you'll see more of what you've got.

Peace
    Good post man, thats what I was saying, of course your abs can show from not doing ab workouts, and just by being skinny...but **** those abs dont count....you might as well just do some ab workouts also and make them look nice..........
    Follow me on instagram for:Workout advice and tips, Diet pics, Inspirational pics, And best....pics of me!!!! haha
    INSTAGRAM: GUN_WALKER3
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  152 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.44%

Quote Originally Posted by bluehealer View Post
    Dragonflags, ab wheel, hanging leg raises, and as stated above, very strict diet.
    dragon flags ftw. also i could repeat for the 20th time here that diet is everything. but abs are still a muscle, they still need their work. weighted decline crunches and bicycles, dragon flags if you can do them. they're intense.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCMq2zkbOo"]YouTube- Dragon flag[/nomedia]
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.83%

what is a good diet plan im not trying to lose like 20-30lbs but like 5-10

Similar Forum Threads

1. Blood Work: Some questions
    By Tijolo in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 03:32 PM