Ab work out questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  1. New Member
    maddog28's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    292
    Rep Power
    205
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    8.83%

    Ab work out questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    What is the best ab rutine to get ripped abs for the summer!

  2. Senior Member
    lonewolf0420's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,314
    Rep Power
    1680
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    64.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I don't have a recommendation for a routine, but I I do hope you have your diet in-check. Almost more important than the exercises.
  3. New Member
    n87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    407
    Rep Power
    12919
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    34.51%

    Yup, in order for the 6 pack to show, you have to have low BF %.
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,256
    Rep Power
    963221
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Diet cardio > "ab" routines
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Senior Member
    Deeerdre's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    22091
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    63.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Diet cardio > "ab" routines
    Well ya all the diet and cardio is needed for a six pack you still have to do a ab routine.. abs are muscles they need to be worked just like everything else haha

    I like to do some super sets with abs
    Do 30 sit ups
    20 leg lifts
    a minute of planks, 20 seconds on ur belly side,then 20 on both sides
    then do 60 cross crunches
    Follow me on instagram for:Workout advice and tips, Diet pics, Inspirational pics, And best....pics of me!!!! haha
    INSTAGRAM: GUN_WALKER3
  6. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,256
    Rep Power
    963221
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Deeerdre View Post
    Well ya all the diet and cardio is needed for a six pack you still have to do a ab routine.. abs are muscles they need to be worked just like everything else haha

    I like to do some super sets with abs
    Do 30 sit ups
    20 leg lifts
    a minute of planks, 20 seconds on ur belly side,then 20 on both sides
    then do 60 cross crunches
    You do not need to train your abs to make them visible.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Advanced Member
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    886
    Rep Power
    73454
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    I don't have a recommendation for a routine, but I I do hope you have your diet in-check. Almost more important than the exercises.
    Yep, lowering your body fat is the most important thing. You don't even have to have great abdominal development from them to show if your body fat is low enough. There are plenty of skinny dudes with abs just due to them having such low body fat percentages. Of course if your abs are more developed they'll look a lot better once you get your body fat down.

    As far as working them out, here's what I recommend doing:

    Warm up with roman chairs before every workout. Not necessarily enough to call it an ab workout, but enough to get the blood flowing. It's important to get the CNS warmed up before you start working out and roman chairs are a good way to do it. Also, if you're going to be training abs that day, roman chairs at the beginning of your workout will get your abs warmed up. On days that you don't train abs you can still do the roman chairs as part of your warm up (I average 5 minutes worth, not necessarily 5 minutes straight though) and not really have to worry about overtraining your abs. Just use your instincts here, you get the idea.

    As far as specifically training abs, I usually train them 2-3 times per week and usually don't do any more than 100 total reps (you don't have to do hundreds and hundreds of crunches all the time to get good results). I may do a couple sets of crunches, then some reverse crunches on an incline (about 100 reps worth all together). It's important to not be fast and choppy with your movements; be under control, feel the muscles contracting and make every rep a deliberate one. Afterward I finish off with standing bent-over side twists (for obliques) using a light bar across my back - steady your pelvis and bend at the sides, squeezing at the extremes of the movement; this is a great obliques exercise because it keeps them tight and doesn't make them big. Try doing stomach vacuums after each set of abs for about 20 seconds!

    Just train your abs when they feel "fresh," don't overdo it and make every rep count and you'll get better development if you stay consistent with it. Lower your body fat and you'll see more of what you've got.

    Peace
  8. New Member
    deadlift18's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    116
    Rep Power
    118
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    97.44%

    honestly i feel that yes diet is important everyone knows that, if you don't you need to learn to read. I also feel that you should not work abs more than 1 or POSSIBLY 2x a week if your doing deadlifts or other power moves because your core tenses up and in my opinion that works just fine for abs. You can train them too much. and if you train them year round they can also grow out which im not a fan of.
  9. Advanced Member
    bluehealer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    997
    Rep Power
    3530
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    64.29%

    Dragonflags, ab wheel, hanging leg raises, and as stated above, very strict diet.
  10. Senior Member
    Deeerdre's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    22091
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    63.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    Yep, lowering your body fat is the most important thing. You don't even have to have great abdominal development from them to show if your body fat is low enough. There are plenty of skinny dudes with abs just due to them having such low body fat percentages. Of course if your abs are more developed they'll look a lot better once you get your body fat down.

    As far as working them out, here's what I recommend doing:

    Warm up with roman chairs before every workout. Not necessarily enough to call it an ab workout, but enough to get the blood flowing. It's important to get the CNS warmed up before you start working out and roman chairs are a good way to do it. Also, if you're going to be training abs that day, roman chairs at the beginning of your workout will get your abs warmed up. On days that you don't train abs you can still do the roman chairs as part of your warm up (I average 5 minutes worth, not necessarily 5 minutes straight though) and not really have to worry about overtraining your abs. Just use your instincts here, you get the idea.

    As far as specifically training abs, I usually train them 2-3 times per week and usually don't do any more than 100 total reps (you don't have to do hundreds and hundreds of crunches all the time to get good results). I may do a couple sets of crunches, then some reverse crunches on an incline (about 100 reps worth all together). It's important to not be fast and choppy with your movements; be under control, feel the muscles contracting and make every rep a deliberate one. Afterward I finish off with standing bent-over side twists (for obliques) using a light bar across my back - steady your pelvis and bend at the sides, squeezing at the extremes of the movement; this is a great obliques exercise because it keeps them tight and doesn't make them big. Try doing stomach vacuums after each set of abs for about 20 seconds!

    Just train your abs when they feel "fresh," don't overdo it and make every rep count and you'll get better development if you stay consistent with it. Lower your body fat and you'll see more of what you've got.

    Peace
    Good post man, thats what I was saying, of course your abs can show from not doing ab workouts, and just by being skinny...but **** those abs dont count....you might as well just do some ab workouts also and make them look nice..........
    Follow me on instagram for:Workout advice and tips, Diet pics, Inspirational pics, And best....pics of me!!!! haha
    INSTAGRAM: GUN_WALKER3
  11. New Member
    doingwork30's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  152 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    123
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    97.44%

    Quote Originally Posted by bluehealer View Post
    Dragonflags, ab wheel, hanging leg raises, and as stated above, very strict diet.
    dragon flags ftw. also i could repeat for the 20th time here that diet is everything. but abs are still a muscle, they still need their work. weighted decline crunches and bicycles, dragon flags if you can do them. they're intense.

    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCMq2zkbOo"]YouTube- Dragon flag[/nomedia]
  12. New Member
    maddog28's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    292
    Rep Power
    205
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    8.83%

    what is a good diet plan im not trying to lose like 20-30lbs but like 5-10
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Blood Work: Some questions
    By Tijolo in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 03:32 PM
  2. work out questions?
    By maddog28 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
  3. DHEA - blood work, results and questions
    By RugbyHooligan in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 08:23 PM
  4. blood work, i have a few questions about it
    By Uncle Luke in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in