recovery week?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.54%

recovery week?

I know taking a solid week off of heavy training is important to break plateaus and continue to make gains and grow but how often should someone take time off? I am talking about someone who trains persistently and heavy.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.86%

Listen to your body.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.73%

When I was a CrossFitter, I could always tell because I would struggle to improve. If I went a few weeks without going faster/heavier/better, I was overtraining. I had all of the other normal symptoms at this point, especially poor sleep quality.

If you do more conventional lifting, then plateaus are not necessarily from overtraining. I always time myself between sets. Normally, It's to slow me down to the appropriate 2 minutes. When I'm burning out, I feel like the clock is pushing me when I'm not ready. I also just generally don't want to be there.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.17%

Usually, I take one week off about every 3 months.
    Or 12 weeks.
    You know your body better than anyone, so whenever you feel exhausted and weaker, just take a good week off. Especially when you see a decline in the weight you've been doing.
    But be sure to enjoy the break and hit it harder when you get back to the gym.
  5. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.42%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Dan 55 View Post
    I know taking a solid week off of heavy training is important to break plateaus and continue to make gains and grow but how often should someone take time off? I am talking about someone who trains persistently and heavy.
    I would recommend after every 8-12 weeks. Definitely don't go too much past 12 weeks before taking a break; even 16 weeks is pushing it. take it from me - I've just had over 33 weeks without a week off any training at all (I know, silly - I didn't realize it was that long), and last week, my body just gave out and said "Nope, week off, mate." If you don't give your body appropriate rest and recovery, it will FORCE you to - like mine did. And once it does that, you're pretty much screwed for quite some time, and have to be careful getting back into it, or else it will keep doing it.

~Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.83%

^ True

It's better to take a break when you feel like you need one than to keep pushing it. If you burn out your CNS it will take a much longer time to fully recover than had you just taken a week off earlier on.

Peace
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.73%

You know what's weird... I'm powerlifting for like 2 months, and have not plateaued at all. I'm going up 3% every week without missing a beat. Yet, I'm lethargic lately, so I'm taking a week off before going right back to my current schedule.

Usually my performance diminishes before I lose my drive, but I guess there's a first time for everything. It's so hard to waste a week when you're hitting new records
  8. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.88%

Quote Originally Posted by drvinnybombat View Post
    You know what's weird... I'm powerlifting for like 2 months, and have not plateaued at all. I'm going up 3% every week without missing a beat. Yet, I'm lethargic lately, so I'm taking a week off before going right back to my current schedule.

Usually my performance diminishes before I lose my drive, but I guess there's a first time for everything. It's so hard to waste a week when you're hitting new records
    thats not weird... you just started lifting. once youve been liftinf for 5+ years you wont be saying the same thing
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.73%

^^ Yeah, unfortunately, I think I may never make it that long. I'm already thinking about going back to CrossFit. I can't help it; it's like crack.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Recovery after 16 week cycle
    By hungryH in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-11-2014, 07:25 PM
  2. deload / recovery week
    By stullsy in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 03:02 AM
  3. difference in recovery from 12 and 14 week cycles?
    By samadhismiles in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 05:06 PM
  4. 1 week recovery?
    By redrocket399 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 03:37 AM
  5. Recovery after a 2 week m1t cycle?
    By Comrade Flynn in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 08:54 PM