Help with a 5x5 routine

BB Ambitious

Awards
Little background info, I've never lifted a consistent routine, through high school I half assed lifting for track and football and stayed fairly strong, I have a stocky build, short around 5'8 weigh about 194 very broad shoulders and big calves, I've been doing my research around the forums and have made a few topics to get some input.

I've decided to start with a 5x5 routine but I seem to be confused, how do I know the weight to do for the first, second, third, fourth and last set?

I don't really know my max for any lift, so should I start there? And is it just 1 set for each amount of weight?

Is there something better to get into routines? From what I've read 5x5 seems to be the best.

I'm trying to slim down but maintain and build muscle for my upcoming rugby season and beach triathlon thing.

I have a steady healthy diet going on and as soon as all my supplements come in I'll make a more complete post of my diet, routine, and supplements for some more input.

So my main areas of weakness are my back, gut, love handles and hamstrings. The 5x5 I started last week has been making me exhausted squating 3 times a day but It feels like I'm getting used to it.

The Sum Up, to lose weight+build lean mass+ and tone down is the 5x5 the best place to start?

Thanks everyone :tongue2:

strester

strester

Awards
  • Established
what made you decide you wanted to start w/ 5x5 in the first place?

BigJoshStud

BigJoshStud

Awards
It says it's best for power lifting or competitive lifters, I'm not looking for that, I want to be more agile, stronger and leaner.
Where did you see that?
Anyway, starting strength is good for anyone at a 'novice' level looking to gain more strength.
And as another poster asked, Why do you want to do a 5x5?

BB Ambitious

Awards
what made you decide you wanted to start w/ 5x5 in the first place?
I was just reading around, found it was simple and a good way to build some starting strength and get into a routine, now I'm just questioning if it is right for me, that's all.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I like the advanced 5x5 for strength, but size wise I don't think its the best, for me anyway.

You'll have to give up a week or so to figure out what your starting weights should be, then put it into a 1 rep max calculator and go from there.

After the first few weeks you only do squats 2x a week as the weight increases, and do 3x3 instead of 5x5 for a "deload", so you only have 4 weeks of hellish workouts if the weights are high enough.

I did the full routine twice then had to settle into a 3x8 scheme, mostly doing a major group a day, because the 5x5 was killing my shoulder with the weight I was using (nothing amazing but right up there), and I would be sore for a few days after, which would make the next workout day even harder.

But with all the compound lifts and recovery going on after, I'm sure you could lean up quite a bit with a clean diet, but don't expect to hit the higher weights each week by not eating enough to recover and grow.

My .02 :D

Mick81

Mick81

Awards
The 5x5 I started last week has been making me exhausted squating 3 times a day but It feels like I'm getting used to it.
Pretty sure this is a typo? But just in case, pretty sure most 5x5 routines have you working every other day, so there's no way you should be squatting this much.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
The 5x5 is a good workout in that it really teaches the compound lifts. These are so important in the over all aspect. Try and see if you like it, it will beat you down!! Just don't try to move through the weights to fast it will frustrate you to death!!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i never liked the 5 x 5 i used it when i first startd lifting made little progress upping the weights 3 x 10 seemed better even.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Monday
Deadlift
Stiff Leg DL or Bent Row
Reverse Grip Pulldown or Wide Grip
Bicep Curl
Some type of ab work

Tuesday
Overhead Press
Upright Row
Front DB Raise or lateral
DB Skullcrusher
V-bar pulldown
Dips

Wed-off
Thurs
Squats
Leg Press
Lunges
Standing calf press
Seated Calf raise

Fri-
Bench BB
Decline BB
Incline DB
Flyes or Pec Dec
Ab Work

The Sum Up, to lose weight+build lean mass+ and tone down is the 5x5 the best place to start?
5x5 is a strength builder.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
you just reduce your 5rm by 15-10% until you have 5 sets.

add 2.5% each week what is 5lbs

BB Ambitious

Awards
Monday
Deadlift
Stiff Leg DL or Bent Row
Reverse Grip Pulldown or Wide Grip
Bicep Curl
Some type of ab work

Tuesday
Overhead Press
Upright Row
Front DB Raise or lateral
DB Skullcrusher
V-bar pulldown
Dips

Wed-off
Thurs
Squats
Leg Press
Lunges
Standing calf press
Seated Calf raise

Fri-
Bench BB
Decline BB
Incline DB
Flyes or Pec Dec
Ab Work

5x5 is a strength builder.
So is this your recommendation for toning while still gaining strength?

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
So is this your recommendation for toning while still gaining strength?
Dude you said you don't lift much which means you are going to gain strength with any number of sets/reps you do because your muscles arn't used to the abuse. Once your beginner gains start to slow down then you can worry about being on par with a good routine. Do 3x10 like mentioned above.. get comfortable with the exercises and the weight then start lifting heavy. Toning has more to do with your diet and interval training than your weight lifting routine.