Fellow members w/ long ape arms lol...DB or BB for chest??

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
So I have arms that are disproportionately long for my body-and im bout 6'1" --while this is convenient when reaching for food in high places, playing beach volleyball (whenever the last time i did that was) or having to throw a roundhouse lol (havent had to do that much either thankfully) I am at a mechanical disadvantage on all pressing movements. Even with strict form it takes a lot of focus to hit my pecs when I press- and my weights used are not impressive in the least (course I'm coming off a long layoff to boot). I'm trying to pack some mass on my chest, I understand a combo of BB and DB presses is ideal but for those who sympathize with my plight (long arms and/or stubborn chest)- have you found emphasis on BB or DB presses to be the most helpful?? Thx! Also w/ sequencing in routines, hit the BB first or the DB first??

deadlift18

Awards
i usually hit barbell first. When you workout chest do you feel it more it your tris or what. If thats the case you could try pre exhausting you tris with a tricep exercise before you bench.

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
i usually hit barbell first. When you workout chest do you feel it more it your tris or what. If thats the case you could try pre exhausting you tris with a tricep exercise before you bench.
Word, thanks for the tip. i tend to feel it too much in my anterior delts n tris yep, but i'm getting better at locking my body in the right position and squeezing my shoulder blades back that helps me feel it more but I'll try hitting BB first see how that goes

Last edited:
Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
I am in the ape-look-a-like contest as well. I'm 5'11 and my span is about 6'3. We are going to use our tris when benching more than our chest because the lockout is the longest part of the movement for us. Make sure you are griping fairly wide. This will help put as much emphasis on the chest as possible. I grip with my index finger on the ring. That's as wide as you can grip in competition. I don't think there's anything better than heavy barbell bench presses for chest development. My bench sucks compared to my squat and deadlift, but I have a pretty decent chest. And just like you were talking about, getting into the right setup is crucial. Big arch, shoulder blades squeezed together and really squeeze the crap out of the bar throughout the entirety of the lift.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I can scratch my knees form a standing position so yes I too am an ape haha. I concur with Irons viewpoint, although I do like incline db presses quite a bit. We ape men are kings of the dead lift though, so hold your head high!!

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I too have long arms. I usually do barbell bench first, followed by incline dumbell or incline barbell. I think Ironhyde is right about the wideness of your grip for development of your chest. I usually do ring or middle finger at the ring on the bar, and index finger when i really want to stretch my chest out (can't usually lift as heavy when I do that though). Lately I've been doing 5x5 on my barbell bench workout, and I'm loving the results. It makes it really easy to guage your progress.

pillsRgood

pillsRgood

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I feel your pain man...Im 6'4 and always have hated BB benches and squats... Such a long freaking way to the bottum of a rep! Anymore I always use Dumbells to really get a full range of motion and I really focus on squeezing the muscle at the top so that I really feel it in the muscle... I usually stay away from BB anymore after too many shoulder injurys to count, due to college football... Needless to say I still manage to stay strong using DB's, cables, push ups, hammers..etc... Welcome to the ape club, try not to hate on the stumpy people in the gym benching 400, cause they are looking at us wishing they were not so short and stumpy J/J : )

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm about 5'10"ish and have a 6'3" reach. I like to do barbell, but I tend to use it sparingly. The main thing is to tinker with the grip width and find a spot that does not overly stress the shoulders. Along with this, doing internal and external rotations to keep the rotators cuff muscles healthy.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
I can scratch my knees form a standing position so yes I too am an ape haha. I concur with Irons viewpoint, although I do like incline db presses quite a bit. We ape men are kings of the dead lift though, so hold your head high!!
This is the truth! I can't bench to save my life, but I'm a pullin' son of a gun! I don't feel quite so bad now knowing there are many more fellow apes running around with their knuckles dragging the ground! We should all measure our ROM on the bench and see which of us is truly king of the long arm ape men! :)

iballmike24

iballmike24

Awards
i feel your pain brother, my wingspan is 6'5 the only cure ive found is to lift heavy and force those gains.

i typically lack in the upper chest so i do the BB incline like its my job.