squtting for the first time

darkvard

Awards
I just tried squatting for the first time i made it up to 300 pounds 10 reps feeling i could do more
how does this compare to other lifters?

p.s any pointers (full motion here p.s)

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
hard to believe u do 300 for 10 that puts ur max in the upper 400s for the first time squatting umm.... dont believe it

n87

Awards
  • Established
What were you squatting with? Free weights? Smith rack? Leverage machine? Bowflex?

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
10 reps? 10 1/10 reps could equal one full rep I guess.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
you may have done what one of my friends call a squat, i call it the *** squat (not calling you a ***, just saying my friend squats like one).. hard to explain how he does it, but damn is it no where near a real squat..

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just tried squatting for the first time i made it up to 300 pounds 10 reps feeling i could do more

Uhhh, I would like to see a video of you doing this... Until then, im callin bull****..

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
pretty good for a first timer..... i wonder if it was one of those guys that go down about 3 inches then back up

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established

great job!

what is your age, height and weight along with number of years in training. IF you dont mind

then we can give you proper advice or pointers.

:smirk:

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
great job!

what is your age, height and weight along with number of years in training. IF you dont mind

then we can give you proper advice or pointers.

:smirk:
dont think he has been training for to long if he just tried quats today..but ya those stats would be useful

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
there called knee bend guys you un rack the weight bend ur knees when you get the slightest bend in ur knees u lock it back out they work the part of the squat thats right next to your knee cap....

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
some folks dont even take the bar off the pins, they just stay in place, stand up, back down. lol.
OP = fail

darkvard

Awards
Training for a long time weighting 200 pounds most of my mass is in the legs about 16% fat
funny that i just tried squats today with a Smith rack p.s
Im gonna try harder on my next leg day and we will see how it goes

Im 22 training for real for about 3 years and training ****y for about 8 years

5'10.7 p.s

also the shoulder is anoyyed by the squat is there anyway to reduce pressure on the shoulder?

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Ever seen one of those manta ray things? Plastic mold that contours your shoulders and trap area that has a groove for the bar. Should distribute the weight better.

darkvard

Awards
I dont know where to get those but how about some foam?

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I dont know where to get those but how about some foam?
Foam would work to relieve some pain as to where the bar touches,although it is more likely your form or the fact that your body is unused to bearing that type of weight. I would rather like a video of you doing your sets and reps posted so we can help you further. I am fairy incredulous as to what you have stated.:yawn:

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
Training for a long time weighting 200 pounds most of my mass is in the legs about 16% fat
funny that i just tried squats today with a Smith rack p.s
Im gonna try harder on my next leg day and we will see how it goes

Im 22 training for real for about 3 years and training ****y for about 8 years

5'10.7 p.s

also the shoulder is anoyyed by the squat is there anyway to reduce pressure on the shoulder?
First of all get out of the Satan (Smith) machine and squat with a barbell.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
Foam would work to relieve some pain as to where the bar touches,although it is more likely your form or the fact that your body is unused to bearing that type of weight. I would rather like a video of you doing your sets and reps posted so we can help you further. I am fairy incredulous as to what you have stated.:yawn:
What he said^^^^

darkvard

Awards
Im moving to new york soon so will have proper supervision and will attempt more free weights until then its the rack for me
like i said i tried to go all the way down
also i felt like i could do more then 10 so i will attempt higher weights
and will get a video if possible soon
p.s recomping for some time and damn my jeans feel tight do they have special jeans for big people?

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
When squatting, make sure you're going below parallel when you go down. Definitely try to get on a real squatting rack with a barbell instead of the Smith machine as well...

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Meh, below parallel with 300 pounds? Asking for bummed knees.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
maybe with 300 lbs.. but going below parallel has helped my knee stability..
I go below parallel when I use light weight doing high reps. When I go heavy I stop at parallel so I don't put undue stress on me knees.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Just curious, what is the advantage of using heavier weight and not going below parallel vs. using lighter weight and going below parallel for the full range of motion?

I'm not great at squats by any means, but I know that I can put on 205, maybe 225 and do a few shallow squats, and not much over 155 if i'm going below parallel. I started doing the lighter weight/full range of motion because I had heard that stopping at parallel was worse for your knees but now I'm not sure what to believe.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Good numbers for the smith, but stop using it. Smith is bad.

Do free squats. I'm thinking that 225 free squat will be more challenging than 300 in a smith machine. You'll also be doing more work that way too. The only thing stopping you from doing it is you. Anyone can spot you while you're squatting, all that have to know is if you want them to help you lower the weight (optimal) or try to stand you back up if you're stuck (need a more trusted spot for this)

Do it, no excuses.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Just curious, what is the advantage of using heavier weight and not going below parallel vs. using lighter weight and going below parallel for the full range of motion?

I'm not great at squats by any means, but I know that I can put on 205, maybe 225 and do a few shallow squats, and not much over 155 if i'm going below parallel. I started doing the lighter weight/full range of motion because I had heard that stopping at parallel was worse for your knees but now I'm not sure what to believe.
Read the articles I posted in full. Loads of good info.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
p.s recomping for some time and damn my jeans feel tight do they have special jeans for big people?
dude, you're 200lbs, far from qualifying as someone who needs to shop at the Big and Tall store....

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
:icon_lol:

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Haha, yeah seriously. They sell "relaxed fit" and "loose fit" jeans everywhere.