Embarrasing Injury ???

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Hey Guys,

I was doing Back & Biceps today.

Pullups Wide Grip 4 sets 5 reps
Bent over barbell row 5 x 5
Barbell Curl 6/5/4

Got to the 4th rep on set 3 of barbell curls and felt my right trap go.

Now it hurts to move my head, I am icing it and taking ibuprofen

Hopefully I've just tweaked it and it will be ok in a few days.

BUT!

How did I f**k a trap doing curls??? I think my form was good, I'm not new to this really!

I know that your traps pretty much hold your upper body together but anyone got any ideas how this happened so I can make sure it doesn't happen again ?

If it sounds like my form was off somewhere I'd like to know (im not proud) just worried me a little:irked:

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
The traps do isometrically contract during a barbell curl. I would personally just take some time off and come back and then have your form checked on the site. There's no way you can check for every angle of your body to assure good form by just looking in a mirror; that's why videos are important.

I had a client one time pull his lower back before he hired me to train him. He was doing what he didn't know was cheat curls and got significant pains in his lower back and eventually rehabilitated and got on the right track.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
If you have overactive upper traps, which a lot of people do, you'll also likely have weak lower traps. On curls, this means you'll be squeezing the traps when you shouldn't. Next time focus on keeping your shoulders down AND back. This will relax your traps as much as possible but might be difficult if your scapular retractors aren't strong enough.