Benching - AnabolicMinds.com

Benching

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

Question Benching

I currently Bench 3 times a week Monday, Thursday, Saturday and also work tri's after i bench.
    On Monday I bench flat, incline, decline, dumbell fly, closegrip, behind the head raises then skull crushers. With bench i do the 5,3,1 workout.
    On Thursday i do band bench 8x3 change my grip after each set wide, normal, then close then repeat. The I reverse band bench 8x3 doing same grips then repeating. Then do dumbell flat, incline, decline, then behind head raises then skull crushers.
    Saturday I do the same as monday.
    My question is am i benching to much in a week and also am i benching to much in a day. Also is there anything anyone would suggest tht i change.

2. New Member

lmao if you're not gettin stronger, I can safely tell ya it's cause your workout is complete CRAP (no offense). The very MOST you should bench is twice a week, with at least 4-5 days in between assuming you are eating during your rest days/taking your glutamine for recover/protein, etc. You don't get stronger by working out more, ESPECIALLY working out the same muscle group EOD. You make your gains on your rest days, not in the gym.

I was a big noob like you, benchin either ED or EOD, and I thought I felt strong and looked bigger. Well, after I changed up and forced myself to bench every monday (1 week of rest), over a one and 1/2 year time span, I saw my bench go from 135 4rpm to 275 7rpm and increasing. Try doing Monday/Thursday chest and tris. The volume of your training is fine. People vary in results from low to high volume, but the common thing between all of them is the amount of rest out of the gym. If you can be discipline, try doing a full week of rest before attempting bench again and I guarantee you will see results in a months time, 2 months, and so forth
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

umm yes ur doing way to much.. wendlers 5/3/1 is made so you bench 1 time a week. the 8 x 3 is suppose to be done at 65% (raw max) thats a dynamic effort day with that u would need a max effort day.. this is the westside barbell method of lifting...also are you Powerlifting or bodybuilding, if your body building incline decline etc all in one workout is good if ur doing PL you need to adjust your routine big time.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

I am just looking to get stronger for football. Any suggestion on what i should be doing for benching to get stronger. Should I even be doing decline bench and dumbel bench and dumbell incline. Or should i just be doing bench and incline bench
  5. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chuck66 View Post
    I am just looking to get stronger for football. Any suggestion on what i should be doing for benching to get stronger. Should I even be doing decline bench and dumbel bench and dumbell incline. Or should i just be doing bench and incline bench
    Bench, incline bench, flys and weighted dips. Only once a week. And stonger for football, start doing squats, deads and hang cleans/clean and press..
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

I took like six months off bench and actually gained 55+ lbs on my max... granted I was doing lots of DB presses and some smith machine, but no regular flat bench.

The ironic thing is, now that I'm trying to bench again.. I can't F'n get over 350 to save my life.

Advice on a strength increase for bench ?
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

Thanks alot. Would it be ok to do a bench variation on thursday such as board bench or speed benching. Also on saturday would it be ok to do some dumbell work such as just dumbel bench and incline dumbell or would that stil be overworking.
  8. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EustisPanther View Post
    I took like six months off bench and actually gained 55+ lbs on my max... granted I was doing lots of DB presses and some smith machine, but no regular flat bench.

The ironic thing is, now that I'm trying to bench again.. I can't F'n get over 350 to save my life.

Advice on a strength increase for bench ?
    I took a month off of bench for DB work and my bench dropped poorly while my DB press rose every week...
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    I took a month off of bench for DB work and my bench dropped poorly while my DB press rose every week...
    That's normally the opposite of what I see happen to guys.. sucks man, but good about the DB increase.

I've luckily always had an ability to DB press the 120's / 130's for my sets, but I can't manage to get flat over 350... I'm wondering if it could be a mental issue

p.s. don't mean to jack the thread Chuck, I just had the same questions.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

That's normally the opposite of what I see happen to guys.. sucks man, but good about the DB increase.

I've luckily always had an ability to DB press the 120's / 130's for my sets, but I can't manage to get flat over 350... I'm wondering if it could be a mental issue

Don't worry bout it and i got a questions for you. I've bin trying to figure this out how may sets and reps do you do of dumbell bench
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

Well BC i normally use DB for strength and I'm not too worried about high reps to try and lean down.

I do three sets, 8-10 reps.. 10 if I can... but I try and go heavy enough I can only get 8 before the spotter helps me.

thanks for sharing the thread bro
  12. Banned

Went form not being able to hit 100's to hitting 110s for 5 reps in a short amount of time.. Went back on bench and it had dropped about 20-30lbs.. I felt stupid...

And to the other guy, I usually do 4 sets, starting off at 10-12 reps and increase the weight each set, while decreasing the reps only reaching about 85 percent of my max. I never max of course..
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

Went form not being able to hit 100's to hitting 110s for 5 reps in a short amount of time.. Went back on bench and it had dropped about 20-30lbs.. I felt stupid...
    That'a great though on the DB.. I only know a handful of guys that go over 80's besides the J-Monkeys.

And the reg bench seems to be something you either keep up or can loose fast. Maybe your body became accustomed to the isolated movements of each arm and adapted to that, loosing it's ability to perform flat bench.. IDK
  14. Banned

DB= easier on my battered rotator cuffs.. In less than 2 years time I went from a 90 lb bench for 3 reps to 285lb bench for 3 reps. Gained 50lbs with no fat increase.. My joints and tendons said WTF.. And that was all on a poor diet due to food restrictions..
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

DB= easier on my battered rotator cuffs.. In less than 2 years time I went from a 90 lb bench for 3 reps to 285lb bench for 3 reps. Gained 50lbs with no fat increase.. My joints and tendons said WTF..

Damn, that's an insane increase in 2 years... all natural ? If you don't mind my asking ..

I injured my shoulders bad after an M-Drol cycle increased my bench 45-55 lbs in just over 3 weeks. My joints couldn't keep up with the muscles and my shoulders just crapped out one day and both my clavicles had pooped out of my collar bone and looked like they were going to poke through the skin. Worst pain of my life. Next to dislocating my spine.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

EustisPanther do you do dumbell bench on the same days as normal bench or is that overworkoing your chest?
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

EustisPanther do you do dumbell bench on the same days as normal bench or is that overworkoing your chest?
    Personally no, I don't. And I don't know anyone who does.

If I do DB bench I will usually do something like Smith Machine Incline, and then flyes, cables or machine.

Days when I flat bench I would do Decline bench and maybe Inc DB's or Inc DB flyes

I try and avoid doing lifts that work the same muscle/angle in a workout.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

Thanks alot once again. Cause this week i just hit a wall with benching i can usualy do 225 for atleast 5-6 times and i was having a hard time getting 205 for 5. So il switch up my workout and hopefuly break through that wall
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

Thanks alot once again. Cause this week i just hit a wall with benching i can usualy do 225 for atleast 5-6 times and i was having a hard time getting 205 for 5. So il switch up my workout and hopefuly break through that wall
    Definitely, try something new for a week or two. But don't be too worried about the reduction. Unless it becomes a constant issue.

My max can go down +/- 50 lbs from one bench wo to the next. A lot of it has to do with your rest, nutrition. If I don't give it enough time after a heavy bench day, my max is for Sh*t next time.

Good luck breaking the plateau
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

Yea i was getting realy worried today after i strugld gettin up 205 on the 5th. I figure monday il do the 5,3,1 workout then thursday il just do a light deloading then saturday a little bit of dumbell. Hopefully that works.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

I do dumbell flys flat. What is the difference between doing them flat and inclined?
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

Yea i was getting realy worried today after i strugld gettin up 205 on the 5th. I figure monday il do the 5,3,1 workout then thursday il just do a light deloading then saturday a little bit of dumbell. Hopefully that works.
    I might take the advice of some of the guys earlier in the thread... 3x a week is too much for most people. You may be an exception, but I know if I go heavy 1xWeek the other chest day is lightweight, just to keep the muscle fibers primed. If I take too much time off I loose the tight appearance in my muscles.
  23. Banned

Damn, that's an insane increase in 2 years... all natural ? If you don't mind my asking ..

I injured my shoulders bad after an M-Drol cycle increased my bench 45-55 lbs in just over 3 weeks. My joints couldn't keep up with the muscles and my shoulders just crapped out one day and both my clavicles had pooped out of my collar bone and looked like they were going to poke through the skin. Worst pain of my life. Next to dislocating my spine.
    All natural until now.. Was a 115lb small framed ecto.. Thought I was hopeless... I learned rather quick how to train properly. I could of/could still gain faster if my schooling and the army would allow me to set up my diet better. Over the summer, im gonna makes some leaps in gains being able to diet how I want to..
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

I do dumbell flys flat. What is the difference between doing them flat and inclined?
    To be honest I don't feel much of a difference, the only thing I feel different is on inc, I get more of a stretch out wide, where the outer pec meets the delts.

Whatever works best for you
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

All natural until now.. Was a 115lb small framed ecto.. Thought I was hopeless...
    That's awesome man, congrats on the progress.. big time !

I was a 250 lbs blob of fat at 16
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

Yea thats why i figured heavy monday then deloading thursday like 50% of my max and then just some dumbel saturday to keep a nice swell in my chest. I also figure since im only 16 my muscles repair faster since im young.
  27. Banned

Yea thats why i figured heavy monday then deloading thursday like 50% of my max and then just some dumbel saturday to keep a nice swell in my chest. I also figure since im only 16 my muscles repair faster since im young.
    Your muscles repairing faster depends on diet and sleep. You miss one of those key areas and you fall flat..
  28. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

LoL make me feel old, I'm only 22.. Well just go off how your body feels, if you're not sore and you feel like you can push out some solid reps, I see no reason why you couldn't do that.

But Gamer is absolutely right... rest/nutrition/rest/nutrition...
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

Thought id ad my 2 cents in here even though this thread is pretty far through. Chest 3x a week probally isnt the best idea because if you work yourself hard enough the first time you should be sore or atleast not 100% for a good 2-3 maybe 4 days and if your not working it to where your sore for that long then your not going hard enough. I do usually do chest 2x a week but as someone mentioned earlier the 2nd time is often lighter and different variations then the workout earlier in the week, i have been getting good gains from this so i will stick with it.
  30. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation

Benching 3 times a week is probably too much and eustispanther 350lbs at 6'2'' 205 is pretty good. You may need to add some weight to get the bench moving.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

what's the difference between flat dumbell flys and incline dumbell flys?
  32. Banned

Incline flys will activate the upper pecs more than flat flys... I do flat flys all the time, and it has helped shaped my chest quite superbly.... I go heavy (65lb DBs) and kill the hell out of my pecs..
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

how may sets for how may reps do you do that
  34. Banned

I go:
    35*10
    45*8
    55*6
    65*4/5- Just finally got up to 65s
    But ya, that was my previous lift, the reps may change tomorrow..
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  203 lbs.

would it be bad to do flys on my bench day or should ot just be done on my dumbell days on saturday and also 4x10 is good for flys rite
  36. Banned

I only do them on bench day. My chest is usually sore for 4 days after a lift, so I hit it once hard. I also have arms day 2-3 days after chest, so my triceps would be too sore to do chest again..

Similar Forum Threads

1. manual benching vs machine benching
    By darkvard in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
  2. Question About Benching
    By goldenroll in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 02:39 PM
  3. My cousin benching 225 x 50
    By Joshua86 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 29