SS Rippetoes Question

Jimmyy

Awards
I've tried this programme twice now but I've had to stop it after like a month because I usually injure my hip flexor whilst doing squats, and this programme is all about the squats as most of you know. After buying the SS book I've learned that this could be a technique problem, specifically not keeping the knees out.

I was just wondering if anyone performs stretches before lifting? When is the best time to do them? After a 5 minute warmup on a cardio machine or before the warmup?

drvinnybombat

Awards
Warm-up 5 min then stretch 10 min. You have to stretch your whole body before any workout. Really serious lifters end up warming-up/stretching for like 30 minutes. I usually do like 15 stretched in 5-10 min. Increasing flexibility will cut down on these types of injuries.

The best stretching and warm-ups I've seen are the ones MMA fighters use because of their need for extra hip and shoulder flexibility. The dirty secret is that most of what they do is in fact yoga, but it's good.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I typically do a focused stretch session after my workout. 15 min a day especially after leg workout. You can't increase flexibility just before your workout, its a process. Warm up and get loose first. Read up on all kinds of stretches that help hip and hamstring flexibility especially and do them every day. You have to work on progressing with your stretches just like progressing on weight or reps. It can be painful, but learn what is a good pain and what is bd and push through the good pain. Feels kind of like lactic acid burn and ripping through it.

Jimmyy

Awards
Ok thanks for the responses.

Would you recommend learning some yoga? There's a class once a week at the gym I go to. Seems quite popular as well.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Stretching should be done post workout and warming up should be done pre workout. If you do want to stretch pre workout, make sure it's after your warm up.

On the other hand, make sure you're adding rows after your deadlifts for proper shoulder health. Furthermore, if you're having overactive hip flexors it's a sign you're not extending your hip properly with your squats.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
As a general rule dynamic stretching/mobility drills before lifting, static stretching after lifting.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is this SS Rippetoes?
He is refering to Starting Strength, a lifting program by: Mark Rippetoe.

It is a must read for newer lifters as it focuses on big lifts, squats, deads, power cleans, etc.. and its biggest focus is technique. My split still is based primarily on his teachings.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Rippetoe is one of my favorite writers. And I agree with a lot that is in his book, but I also disagree with a lot of it too. I don't agree with the way he has you spot someone squatting, just like I don't agree with not making barbell rows a staple or pullups, and I don't agree with saying no to high bar squats.

Jimmyy

Awards
On the other hand, make sure you're adding rows after your deadlifts for proper shoulder health. Furthermore, if you're having overactive hip flexors it's a sign you're not extending your hip properly with your squats.
The workouts are:-

A - Squat, Bench, Deadlift
B - Squat, Press, Pendlay Row

The pendlay row is a replacement for the power clean. Perhaps I will learn how to execute the power clean correctly later on but for now I need to get the squatting sorted.

I've had two problems with my squatting technique before. These were not keeping the knees out and rounding of the lower back. Now the lower back problem is apparently caused by inflexible hamstrings, so perhaps not extending the hips properly was my way of compensating for it, and the reason I injured my hip flexor last time.

I thought stretching before a workout might help but it seems I have to improve my flexibility in the hamstrings by doing some stretching excercises a few times per week. I've come across the squat stretch, a couple of PNF stretches and supermans to help correct the form problem.

The lower back rounding is not a problem in the deadlift for me because the hips don't go as low, so it must be the hamstring issue stopping me?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
The workouts are:-

A - Squat, Bench, Deadlift
B - Squat, Press, Pendlay Row

The pendlay row is a replacement for the power clean. Perhaps I will learn how to execute the power clean correctly later on but for now I need to get the squatting sorted.

I've had two problems with my squatting technique before. These were not keeping the knees out and rounding of the lower back. Now the lower back problem is apparently caused by inflexible hamstrings, so perhaps not extending the hips properly was my way of compensating for it, and the reason I injured my hip flexor last time.

I thought stretching before a workout might help but it seems I have to improve my flexibility in the hamstrings by doing some stretching excercises a few times per week. I've come across the squat stretch, a couple of PNF stretches and supermans to help correct the form problem.

The lower back rounding is not a problem in the deadlift for me because the hips don't go as low, so it must be the hamstring issue stopping me?
Rippetoe gets angry when people try to replace cleans with rows for some reason. Rows are a much more important exercise and Rippetoe does have loads of shoulder injuries through indirect stimulation of his external rotators. I'm not sure what he has against rowing, but it's well known he doesn't like the exercise and doesn't want novices doing it.

I would have you do both cleans and rows. Cleans are great for developing all the muscle fibers in the posterior chain including those that get hit with the squat and deadlift. This is the way I tell people to do starting strength.

Workout A
Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift
Barbell Row

Workout B
Squat
Press
Power Clean
Pullups

I also recommend EVERYONE to stretch. Particularly the hip flexors and internal rotators of the shoulder.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Stretching should be done post workout and warming up should be done pre workout. If you do want to stretch pre workout, make sure it's after your warm up.
This and I will add that it has already been proven that stretching excessively before and during your workout leads to a fairly large drop in performance and poundage lifted.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
I might be the odd man out here, but the extent of my stretching happens on a foam roller on my living room floor when my low back gets tight. I've just never been big on stretching, other than the occasional pulling on something to stretch my lats when doing back training. I'm not going to say you should or shouldn't stretch, but I think some folks definitely go overboard with it. Just my .02

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I might be the odd man out here, but the extent of my stretching happens on a foam roller on my living room floor when my low back gets tight. I've just never been big on stretching, other than the occasional pulling on something to stretch my lats when doing back training. I'm not going to say you should or shouldn't stretch, but I think some folks definitely go overboard with it. Just my .02
I don't really stretch either, I do warmup however.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
This and I will add that it has already been proven that stretching excessively before and during your workout leads to a fairly large drop in performance and poundage lifted.
This is correct. I was going to add the detail that you added, but figured it would start an argument, but you're correct.

Jimmyy

Awards
When practicing the form and filming myself, my back and hips don't look as rigid or arched as the models in the SS book when I'm at the bottom of the squat, but it doesn't look round either. Can I put this down to lack of definition? I am quite skinny and unconditioned atm afterall.

Jimmyy

Awards
I went to the gym today and practiced with some lightish weights. I was suprised at how different the squat felt even just squatting an empty bar. When I described the back rounding problem, I was using a snooker que to simulate the bar and practice the form, but doing it this way seems harder to get the form correct, is this normal?

When I went onto the deadlift I could only feel it in my back and not so much my legs.