Rest Between Sets

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I have a few questions in regards to the amount of time one rests in between sets, now i know for the most part its self dependent because some are in better shape then others and can go at a faster pace but is there an optimal amount of time one should try to take? I assume if you are cutting youd want to go at a faster pace work up a sweat and so on, and possibly for bulking one would take more time between so there better rested to get the most weight up.

In short ive basically just rested till i fill i can push up whatever my next set is but a post i saw a little bit ago made me question that. So my question to you gentlemen/ladies is is there an optimal amount of time one should rest for certain workout programs i.e cutting,bulking,recomping.

Side Note: i know this is a pretty broad question and i dont expect an exact answer just want to hear what you do and maybe try switching it up, thanks.

drvinnybombat

Awards
If I'm working on endurance, almost no rest. For general weight lifting, 2 min. If I'm trying to break through a benchmark, 5 min.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my set to set rest is generally about 20 seconds for everything except squats, deadlifts + leg presses. screw trying to recover faster than 3-4 minutes on 1000lb leg press or over 300lb deadlifts.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Depends on the type of program. With 5x5 type set ups you could rest 2-4 minutes. With something like DC you would want to rest around 10-30 seconds. Something like HST you would rest maybe a minute. It really depends on the goals and principles of the program.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
^^

every training style is different. a GH boosting workout is no breaks - you get a break walking from one piece of equipment to another. straight strength levels require a 2-3 minute break between sets. powerlifting and 1 rep max, a longer break. and then there's everything in between.

mjswss57

Awards
I cant remember if this came from research i read or from a book i picked up, however,your muscles recover the most they are going to during your workout about 90 seconds after you finish your set. i prefer to do about 30 seconds to a minute of rest. no more than two minutes. i guess its all just personal preference and what your goals are

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I cant remember if this came from research i read or from a book i picked up, however,your muscles recover the most they are going to during your workout about 90 seconds after you finish your set. i prefer to do about 30 seconds to a minute of rest. no more than two minutes. i guess its all just personal preference and what your goals are
Yes, but it's not all about muscles. It's also about the nervous system. Doing heavy 5x5 or 3x3 sets require more than 90 seconds.

mjswss57

Awards
Like i said, i think its a matter of personal preference IMO. You know if your body is ready for your next set or not.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
For heavier compound movements I rest for 1.5-2min between sets. For isolation moves, I rest for 30sec-1min.

deadlift18

Awards
For building mass you do not want to rest longer then 90sec because you don't want your muscle to recover all the way . For a powerlifter you want to rest for like 3 to 4 min.

SexyRexy

Awards
An NSCA certified trainer told me (in general) that for endurance lifting=under 1minute rest with high reps/light weight...hypertrophy training=10x10 with 1 to 3 minutes rest...strength training=warm up set then getting down to about 4 to 3 rep max with 3 to 4 minutes rest....sooo this is my general understanding of rest between sets and i generally follow this depending on what type of cycle im going through

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
An NSCA certified trainer told me (in general) that for endurance lifting=under 1minute rest with high reps/light weight...hypertrophy training=10x10 with 1 to 3 minutes rest...strength training=warm up set then getting down to about 4 to 3 rep max with 3 to 4 minutes rest....sooo this is my general understanding of rest between sets and i generally follow this depending on what type of cycle im going through
I'm a NSCA certified trainer too and believe me when I say the PT books are wrong about a lot of stuff. If you really research and take kinesiology you'll know what to believe and what not to believe. My brother is working on his bachelors to kinesiology at UNC and he is a heck of a lot smarter than I am. I remember when I first took the NSCA he was pointing out things that were incorrect with thorough explanations on why. When I was discharged from the Marines he was just getting really into studying kinesiology.