5x5 work out?s

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
is 5x5 work out good for mass gains and big strength gains?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
5x5 isn't a workout, it's a rep range. Yes. It is good to put on mass if you eat enough.

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
my bad thts what i ment because i usaully do3-4 sets 10 reps nd im switching to gain mass nd strength

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
5x5 isn't a workout, it's a rep range. Yes. It is good to put on mass if you eat enough.
5x5 is a routine (workout).....

Yes, it is good for mass and strength. There are different 5x5 routines that focus mainly on compound exercises. King, search 5x5 routines in google and you will find several variations. Good Luck.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
my bad thts what i ment because i usaully do3-4 sets 10 reps nd im switching to gain mass nd strength
Don't buy into the whole reps = hypertrophy stuff. As long as you're gaining weight through eating enough calories and lifting heavier each session assuming you're provided enough micro damage through sets you'll do fine.

5x5 = 25
3x10 = 30

Those 5 extra reps are not going to determine whether you get big or small.

5x5 is a routine (workout).....

Yes, it is good for mass and strength. There are different 5x5 routines that focus mainly on compound exercises. King, search 5x5 routines in google and you will find several variations. Good Luck.
No. 5x5 can be used with anything. There are workouts that use 5x5 as a principle like Bill Starr's, but the specific routine should be addressed so we can know which one in specific he is talking about. Each has different principles.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Don't buy into the whole reps = hypertrophy stuff. As long as you're gaining weight through eating enough calories and lifting heavier each session assuming you're provided enough micro damage through sets you'll do fine.

5x5 = 25
3x10 = 30

Those 5 extra reps are not going to determine whether you get big or small.

No. 5x5 can be used with anything. There are workouts that use 5x5 as a principle like Bill Starr's, but the specific routine should be addressed so we can know which one in specific he is talking about. Each has different principles.
Hence, the google. Yes, there are several different 5x5 routines. As much as you may be denying this, there is. No, the 5 reps alone will not determine whether you get big or strong, however, calories(diet) and an increase in each exercises weight will help determine this.

I am not sure what your deal is, but there are several 5x5 routines with several variations. Seems you really like to argue with people. I have noticed this on other threads.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Hence, the google. Yes, there are several different 5x5 routines. As much as you may be denying this, there is. No, the 5 reps alone will not determine whether you get big or strong, however, calories(diet) and an increase in each exercises weight will help determine this.

I am not sure what your deal is, but there are several 5x5 routines with several variations. Seems you really like to argue with people. I have noticed this on other threads.
I'm not sure what your deal is. I said 5x5 is not a routine but a volume scheme and can be used with anything. And if you Google 5x5 no specific routine will show up because there are plenty of them. All it is are a set of exercises that cause for a specific rep range.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
And if you Google 5x5 no specific routine will show up because there are plenty of them.
No specific routine will show up because there are plenty of them? So there are 5x5 routines somewhere out there? That what you said.

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
5x5 i wouldnt say is a workout as a rep/set scheme to base your workout on.
Person I love the 5x5 when trying to build some solid strength to blast platues.

To work on strength and mass I'd start big compounds with 5x5 then use high reps on more isolated moves.
Thats how I like to do it and works for me, just gotta try it and find out.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
No specific routine will show up because there are plenty of them? So there are 5x5 routines somewhere out there? That what you said.
No. There is no such thing as "the 5x5 routine". There is Bill Starr's 5x5, Frankie NY's 5x5, Mark Rippetoe's 3x5, and plenty others. 5x5 is NOT a routine. It has been mentioned by other posters in this same thread. 5x5 is a SET/REP scheme and can be applied with any program.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
No. There is no such thing as "the 5x5 routine". There is Bill Starr's 5x5, Frankie NY's 5x5, Mark Rippetoe's 3x5, and plenty others. 5x5 is NOT a routine. It has been mentioned by other posters in this same thread. 5x5 is a SET/REP scheme and can be applied with any program.
In other words, if nobody famous or semi-famous for bodybuilding or power lifting uses a "5x5 routine", it is safe to assume there is no such thing.

What if I decided on Monday to start a 5x5 routine. My own routine made of compound exercises using 5 sets of 5 reps for a duration of three to four weeks. Can I not call these a routine?

I think we are close to being on the same page, with the exception you just don't like the word routine or workout.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Another words, if nobody famous or semi-famous for bodybuilding or power lifting uses a "5x5 routine", it is safe to assume there is no such thing.

What if I decided on Monday to start a 5x5 routine. My own routine made of compound exercises using 5 sets of 5 reps for a duration of three to four weeks. Can I not call these a routine?
Um yeah, but titling a routine "5x5" with no direct name would not make much sense. 5x5 is simply doing 5 sets of 5 repetitions on your exercises. Usually, 5x5 consists of basic compound horizontal and vertical push/pulls with a squat and deadlift to hit the lower body.

For example:

Person A does squats, deadlifts, bench presses, cleans, and presses with 5x5.
Person B does squats, deadlifts, rows, pullups, and presses with 5x5.

Person A cleans 3 times per week.
Person B squats 3 times per week.

Person A uses 5x5 for squats and deadlifts only.
Person B uses 5x5 for all his exercises.

They are both using a 5x5 scheme, but it not the same routine. Most workout routines are named by the Author, the principles of the program, or the gym that started the program.

They are not on the same program.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Um yeah, but titling a routine "5x5" with no direct name would not make much sense. 5x5 is simply doing 5 sets of 5 repetitions on your exercises. Usually, 5x5 consists of basic compound horizontal and vertical push/pulls with a squat and deadlift to hit the lower body.

For example:

Person A does squats, deadlifts, bench presses, cleans, and presses with 5x5.
Person B does squats, deadlifts, rows, pullups, and presses with 5x5.

Person A cleans 3 times per week.
Person B squats 3 times per week.

Person A uses 5x5 for squats and deadlifts only.
Person B uses 5x5 for all his exercises.

They are both using a 5x5 scheme, but it not the same routine. Most workout routines are named by the Author, the principles of the program, or the gym that started the program.

They are not on the same program.
I definitely agree with this post. The only thing I am stating is, if I developed my own routine with compound exercises only using 5 sets of 5 reps, I can definitely call it a 5x5 routine. If someone came across me in the gym and asked what routine I was using, I would say a 5x5 routine. I feel it would be safe to call it a 5x5 routine. Nobody famous may be using it, but none the less it is still a routine or workout.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I definitely agree with this post. The only thing I am stating is, if I developed my own routine with compound exercises only using 5 sets of 5 reps, I can definitely call it a 5x5 routine. If someone came across me in the gym and asked what routine I was using, I would say a 5x5 routine. I feel it would be safe to call it a 5x5 routine. Nobody famous may be using it, but none the less it is still a routine or workout.
The word "routine" refers to the movements included and the order of them.

You could say you were using 5x5 principles, which usually involve progressive resistance while higher reps usually require exercise change.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Different rep ranges certainly do have different effects, but diet also plays a huge role in gaining mass.

Keep in mind this is a continuum, the effects "flow" into each other. Also, everybody will be affected by rep ranges a little differently.
Edit: sorry changed the chart, did not notice the first one I posted had been slightly altered from Rippetoes original one.