What is better for strength gains

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Would it be better to devote one day a week to overhead press or just do incline press twice a week for fastest all around strength gain

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Well that would depend on what you are doing and your training level. In general I think once a week is good. Incline press will have some carry over, but if you want to get good at something, such as overhead press, you probably should be doing it. Granted sometimes you can increase a lift with doing it directly but that's because of imbalances and such that you correct in the meantime.

walker11

Awards
heavy squats and deadlifts are the best thing for all around strength, but clean and jerks are good too. you just gotta make sure you're form and good.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
heavy squats and deadlifts are the best thing for all around strength, but clean and jerks are good too. you just gotta make sure you're form and good.
Clean and jerks are great for power development. Overhead pressing is a pretty good measure of upper body strength.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
The best movement for upper body strength is the press.

Squats are the best for overall kinetic development.

Deadlifts are the best movement overall for showing overall body strength.

Cleans are the best for showing power.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
The best movement for upper body strength is the press.

Squats are the best for overall kinetic development.

Deadlifts are the best movement overall for showing overall body strength.

Cleans are the best for showing power.
Which press do you think is a better demonstration of strength? I would suppose that if you put the qualifier of upper body strength, then bench press is a better indicator, but for overall strength the overhead press is a better indicator. Thing is we aren't often lying in a prone position pushing away from our bodies very often.

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
Do military once a week and incline/flat once a week. I think that good overhead strength is necessary for bench pressing strength. I have just PR'd my military and shortly after my bench @ 375, 470 respectively.